• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Anyone else excited for the w3D?  (Read 44064 times)

silvacrest

Re: Anyone else excited for the w3D?
« Reply #140 on: January 12, 2016, 06:40:42 pm »
I agree that i will still get it (if it ever comes out) but it is becoming even harder to justify the purchase.

The specs were old before launch, if it launches with nothing updated i will really have to ignore the old processor, small-ish ram and no finger print reader (everyone including chinese manufacturers are adding this so it will be an omission from snail). i'll also have to ignore 3D (who asked for this??)

and if it still launches at the same prices....they have done them selves no favours with this delay, this device lived and died on hype

Pleng

« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2016, 12:32:41 pm »
Short of them flat out lying about the glasses free 3d, they indicated during several press events that its using an IR camera to track the angle of the eye from the center of the screen to provide the effect, similar to the Nintendo wiimote project, or more commercially, Amazon's failed firephone.  Anyone who saw the firephones 3d effect knows it provides a very solid 3d effect.  The screen literally wouldn't have anything to do with that, unless they're doing something completely new thats undisclosed. 

I'd imagine that both the firephone and the W3D only make use of the IR camera to make sure the 3D effect is *stable*, like the Nintendo 3DS does. You still need to be using a special 3D screen, the camera just calibrates the offset of the left-side and right-side portions of the screen.

If they are able to create a 3D effect on a standard screen with nothing but an IR camera, I guess they've probably sold the technology on for an insane amount of money and are living on a tropical island somewhere now :)

shinkamui

« Reply #142 on: January 16, 2016, 07:23:51 am »
Short of them flat out lying about the glasses free 3d, they indicated during several press events that its using an IR camera to track the angle of the eye from the center of the screen to provide the effect, similar to the Nintendo wiimote project, or more commercially, Amazon's failed firephone.  Anyone who saw the firephones 3d effect knows it provides a very solid 3d effect.  The screen literally wouldn't have anything to do with that, unless they're doing something completely new thats undisclosed. 

I'd imagine that both the firephone and the W3D only make use of the IR camera to make sure the 3D effect is *stable*, like the Nintendo 3DS does. You still need to be using a special 3D screen, the camera just calibrates the offset of the left-side and right-side portions of the screen.

If they are able to create a 3D effect on a standard screen with nothing but an IR camera, I guess they've probably sold the technology on for an insane amount of money and are living on a tropical island somewhere now :)

Again, Im basing my assessment of the w3d on the show floor demo and "explanation" where it was stated that an IR camera tracks your eye position, and with some other clever sensor work determines the angle at which you're viewing the screen, to rotate the the FOV accordingly, creating a flat but convincing 3d image.  Its basically just an optical illusion with very little gpu cost.  Amazon's fire phone utilizes the same technology, but has 4 cameras to ensure it can track the user no matter how they hold the phone.  The Fire phones screen is a simple LTPS LCD (nothing special or fancy), and numerous teardowns have shown that there is nothing special about the phone beyond its 4 IR camera array.  IIRC the 3ds uses 2 stacked LCDs to produce a "true" stereoscopic image.  The bottom lcd provides the image rendering, and the top lcd crystals can be adjusted in placement and width to channel light to each eye individually.  Its pretty interesting stuff I used to care about when glasses free 3d started getting popular.  Seems like really expensive R&D for a chinese company to invest with little chance of return.  On the contrary, a quick formula, cheap camera sensors with no ir filter lens, and an easy to use api feel more like par for the course.

Pleng

« Reply #143 on: January 16, 2016, 01:07:20 pm »
Well if they're not doing proper 3D, then my interest level drops even further.

diablotinbouky

« Reply #144 on: January 16, 2016, 08:46:49 pm »
I try to have informations... But nothing...no answer... :o :-X :'(

shinkamui

« Reply #145 on: January 17, 2016, 06:26:15 am »
Well if they're not doing proper 3D, then my interest level drops even further.

Lol, what exactly do you think makes any 3d "proper"?  If you look at a display, and your brain interprets depth, how does that differ from any other "hardware" that also makes your brain interpret depth?  Is it not 3d because you feel you didn't pay enough for the effect?  ALL flat screens that fake depth are optical illusions.  This is simply a cellphone friendly version that does quite well under some circumstances. 

Pleng

« Reply #146 on: January 17, 2016, 07:34:37 am »
Lol, what exactly do you think makes any 3d "proper"?

Something better than a "cellphone friendly version that does quite well under some circumstances"

This is simply a cellphone friendly version that does quite well under some circumstances. 

Also...
Is it not 3d because you feel you didn't pay enough for the effect?
The RRP for this device is significantly higher than the 3DS. So that argument isn't really valid (and it's why I thought they were using some kind of special display technology to give the effect...)

shinkamui

« Reply #147 on: January 17, 2016, 07:45:53 am »
Lol, what exactly do you think makes any 3d "proper"?

Something better than a "cellphone friendly version that does quite well under some circumstances"

This statement is valid for all 3D.  Not every "experience" works with every technology.  Also, its a cellphone.  So expecting an oculus style experience when the OR recommends a top end PC and powerful GPU is crazy, especially for a paltry 400$.

This is simply a cellphone friendly version that does quite well under some circumstances. 

Also...
Is it not 3d because you feel you didn't pay enough for the effect?
The RRP for this device is significantly higher than the 3DS. So that argument isn't really valid (and it's why I thought they were using some kind of special display technology to give the effect...)

It didn't quote your line, but it is still quite valid considering the msrp is based on the hardware cost and their interpretation of THAT market (point in time).  Implementing additional hardware would have shot that price way up from 399 to 600 easily.  Lets also not forget, that its a cellphone.  Comparing a standalone tablet device to a mobile device that needs additonal r&d, hardware/firmware + certification for pricing seems unrealistic.  If they dropped the cellular connection, the device would likely have been priced around 250.   All speculation on all our parts, but at the time of its development and announcement, that mediatek chip was the newest and most powerful chip out of the big 3 chinese arm developers.  One of the worst things a company can do is delay top end hardware in an ever improving market. 

Perhaps that question was more facetious than conversational, its just that i can't quite make the connection of your disappointment with the technology you're looking at, meaning, its a cellphone, that has game controls, and a selective optional glasses free 3d component while sporting what is now middling hardware.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 07:51:06 am by shinkamui »

Pleng

« Reply #148 on: January 17, 2016, 11:30:31 am »
Well I wasn't interested in it for the mobile phone feature. It was the 3D bit that interested me. And considering that the latest Mediatek chipsets have support for driving genuine 3D panels, I was assuming the device would have been using a special 3D panel.

shinkamui

« Reply #149 on: January 18, 2016, 04:14:26 am »
Well I wasn't interested in it for the mobile phone feature. It was the 3D bit that interested me. And considering that the latest Mediatek chipsets have support for driving genuine 3D panels, I was assuming the device would have been using a special 3D panel.

Dont get me wrong, I was also pretty disappointed when the big reveal came, was really hoping for the pop out parallax view, instead of a seemingly under the screen popin effect.  Still, with no product on the horizon, it only continues to devalue as time goes on.  At this point, a spec change would be advisable with a late 2016 release window if they want to salvage this thing. 

Pleng

« Reply #150 on: January 18, 2016, 05:22:39 am »
I'm not interested in pop-out effects. Life doesn't pop-out at you... you're looking into life.

robman2122

« Reply #151 on: January 18, 2016, 06:20:46 am »

Dont get me wrong, I was also pretty disappointed when the big reveal came, was really hoping for the pop out parallax view, instead of a seemingly under the screen popin effect.  Still, with no product on the horizon, it only continues to devalue as time goes on.  At this point, a spec change would be advisable with a late 2016 release window if they want to salvage this thing.

Or, and this probably probably would make 0 financial sense for them, release it at an extreme discount. I purchased another phone instead of waiting for this train wreck, but might give it a second chance if it came out at $250 or less (preferably without the 3d screen at that point, which would save them money in production costs). $400 was a bit much to swallow for its original release date back in September. Moving forward at that price without a serious overhaul hardware wise will just ensure a shortened lifespan of the product (at least outside of China)

shinkamui

« Reply #152 on: January 18, 2016, 02:33:11 pm »
Pleng, then you should avoid 3d in general. 

Pleng

« Reply #153 on: January 20, 2016, 07:20:55 am »
shinkamui not sure if you've ever used a 3DS?? All the sensible games use the 'looking into a box' format for 3D.

AVahne

« Reply #154 on: February 08, 2016, 05:48:05 am »
Seems like Snail USA will be showing their faces at GDC this year showing off software and hardware. Let's hope they've revamped the W3D hardware and will offer a 3D-less version at a much better price.

DroidX2

« Reply #155 on: February 09, 2016, 10:51:25 pm »
Here's hoping they are still interested in doing a gaming phone.

DrROBschiz

« Reply #156 on: February 16, 2016, 05:15:25 pm »
I sure hope they are. Snail is the only company that seems to be attempting one and I desperately want a phone with built in controls

Looking forward to GDC and hopefully they did a serious hardware revision. 3D screen and the massive length of the thing was overkill

Focus on specs and comfortable design!

AVahne

« Reply #157 on: March 17, 2016, 12:19:22 am »
Snail USA said they'll be at GDC showing something.
Anyone know if they really are there? Or did they die off?

EDIT:
Oh, this is all they're doing...
"Snail Games
The creators of the new mobile kung-fu games Age of Wushu Dynasty and Taichi Panda bring you the latest updates running on ARM Mali to kick thngs up a gear!"

I'm guessing at this point we can definitely say the W3D is dead.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 12:21:03 am by AVahne »

DrROBschiz

« Reply #158 on: March 17, 2016, 12:33:26 pm »
Certainly seems that way

With zero info out of GDC.... the last true gaming phone is dead...

I suppose my only hope now would be an LG G5 module or something out of Googles Project ARA (longshot)

Really really disappointed

shinkamui

« Reply #159 on: May 27, 2016, 06:55:55 am »
dead.  Probably better at this point, the SoC is no longer relevant now, not at the current price point.