• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Anyone else excited for the w3D?  (Read 44062 times)

shinkamui

Re: Anyone else excited for the w3D?
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2015, 05:28:23 am »
-Deleted-

Finally got through actually catching up on this thread.  No point in posting the original content.  God this is depressing.  I literally watched a month of excitement and passion die with the realization that you've fallen for vaporware :p

Seriously i hope this phone drops.  If any decent reviews spec it as at least T4 performance, Im buying it. I NEED gundam vs gundam next plus in my damn pocket!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 05:43:54 am by shinkamui »

robman2122

« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2015, 12:20:51 pm »
-Deleted-

Finally got through actually catching up on this thread.  No point in posting the original content.  God this is depressing.  I literally watched a month of excitement and passion die with the realization that you've fallen for vaporware

Seriously i hope this phone drops.  If any decent reviews spec it as at least T4 performance, Im buying it. I NEED gundam vs gundam next plus in my damn pocket!
I wouldn't exactly call it vapor ware. It exists. People have touched it and been able to pick it up and play around. I think the proper term is broken promises and empty dreams.

I've kicked myself ever since I got rid of my Xperia play. I was looking forward to this phone but after some hard thinking, I don't think buying a phone from a Chinese company that has gone completely silent for almost 3 months on any matters regarding said phone is a good idea. If I break it and need a part or warranty work I highly doubt I'll get any timely service from snail seeing how they've been. I'm kind of in that boat already with the OnePlus one. It's broken and slowly dying but should be covered under warranty still. Only downside is I'll have to pay shipping to and from China to send my phone back in and provided they don't find anything that's my fault, warranty will cover it, otherwise I'll have to pay the repair as well. Once I factor all the money for everything plus the fact I'll be without a phone while it's there, it's just not worth it.

robman2122

« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2015, 10:23:12 pm »
Now if you search for the W3D on amazon it doesn't appear anymore. Although you can still get to the page from snail's website. Looks like it might be a goner.

DroidX2

« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2015, 12:56:07 am »
Well, finally got an update, of course not the one I was looking for. But I'm optimistic. It could be they are deleting the old listing and updating with a new one, with it being close to the tentative release date listed. I highly doubt it releases on the 28th, but maybe they are finally making some moves.

I really don't want this to be cancelled.

fofo33

« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2015, 06:15:52 pm »
A perfect chain of deceptions.

- Expensive.

- Low specifications.

-Delays.

- Better products in the competence.

-Regular software.

- Small company.

And while... products with better price and features are releasing.

http://techtablets.com/teclast-x98-pro/

Mountainmohawk (OP)

« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2015, 08:03:12 pm »
A perfect chain of deceptions.

- Expensive.

- Low specifications.

-Delays.

- Better products in the competence.

-Regular software.

- Small company.

And while... products with better price and features are releasing.

http://techtablets.com/teclast-x98-pro/

I'm not sure how that could be considered a better product. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

DroidX2

« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2015, 10:51:49 pm »
Yeah, this is more in competition with a Shield tablet. The only thing that can compare is another gaming phone hybrid. We need a device that takes the place of our portable gaming system, and our Smart Phone.

Snail has really been letting me down with the way things are being handled. The worst part is, is that it's all we have for another gaming phone.

Sure, there are blue-tooth controllers, gaming tablets, and some with wifi which would allows phone calling abilities. but nothing beats the Xperia Play, or Much devices, or JXD 5800, all of which had both features tied together nicely.

I guess this is what happens when you enter a market with virtually no competition.

Honestly, GPD has a great design, all they need to do now is make it a phone, and add a second outside screen that mirror each other. closed when using as a phone, open when using as a game system.

I wish I had the capital to fund it, lol!

robman2122

« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2015, 10:59:09 pm »
Yeah, this is more in competition with a Shield tablet. The only thing that can compare is another gaming phone hybrid. We need a device that takes the place of our portable gaming system, and our Smart Phone.

Snail has really been letting me down with the way things are being handled. The worst part is, is that it's all we have for another gaming phone.

Sure, there are blue-tooth controllers, gaming tablets, and some with wifi which would allows phone calling abilities. but nothing beats the Xperia Play, or Much devices, or JXD 5800, all of which had both features tied together nicely.

I guess this is what happens when you enter a market with virtually no competition.

Honestly, GPD has a great design, all they need to do now is make it a phone, and add a second outside screen that mirror each other. closed when using as a phone, open when using as a game system.

Only other alternative is to make your own in one way shape or form. I'm in the process right now of designing a 3d printable case for my galaxy note 5 to basically turn it into a bigger Xperia play.

I've got a rough case down and have printed a couple prototypes and tweaked the design inbetween, still researching what controller to disassemble and build into the case though.

It will be awhile before it's perfect, but in the end, I think it will be exactly what I've been looking for all these years.

DroidX2

« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2015, 11:16:28 pm »

Only other alternative is to make your own in one way shape or form. I'm in the process right now of designing a 3d printable case for my galaxy note 5 to basically turn it into a bigger Xperia play.

I've got a rough case down and have printed a couple prototypes and tweaked the design inbetween, still researching what controller to disassemble and build into the case though.

It will be awhile before it's perfect, but in the end, I think it will be exactly what I've been looking for all these years.

Nice! I wish Bladepad would have open sourced their designs. The case would have to fit uniform around the phone, and maybe a USB connection instead of bluetooth so the buttons wouldn't have to be powered, or you can use headphones. Or the battery of the buttons wired to the main battery. So many options.

If the gaming phone future gets any darker, then I may have to go that way myself and tinker a mod together, or see how much Ben Heck charges, lol!

AVahne

« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2015, 12:07:19 am »

Funny thing is, this is likely from the iReadyGo team which Snail bought a while back, so this is a Much phone in all but name. I guess aside from phone development, they have no influence over the release and advertising for it :(

SONY

• !
« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2015, 12:58:15 am »
:(
Nintendo Switch w/ipega PG-9083

SONY PS3 Super Slim
SONY PS4 Slim
SONY PS4 Pro

ALLDOCUBE Mix Plus w/ ipega PG-9023

Apple iPad pro 2019 w/Gamevice (pending)

Pleng

« Reply #131 on: December 10, 2015, 12:01:21 pm »
I actually hope this doesn't come to market now, not in it's present state.

Don't get me wrong - I love the 3D in my 3DS and would love an android gaming device which can also do 3D. But the specs and OS on this device are so outdated that the chance of this device being even remotely successful are pretty, well, remote! And if this device isn't successful then that's probably the last chance for 3D on an Android device for a while.

Put a better SOC in it, and upgrade it to Lollipop or Marshmallow (I'm not worried about the phone feature) and then we're talking! And of course make the 3D SDK available and easy to find for developers so they can create content.

robman2122

« Reply #132 on: December 16, 2015, 01:43:00 pm »
Somebody posted on the public area of their W3D Facebook page and gave out the PR person's email address of [email protected]

Supposedly when they asked people to send in a screenshot of their preorder confirmations, they were asking a select few if they wanted to test the device ahead of the market, but never followed through on that idea. After emailing the PR person, someone had mentioned he actually responded back to them saying they hope to make some sort of announcement in the coming weeks and blamed the lack of communication on the company being from China.

Someone else commented on that post and had mentioned they would be receiving an refund on their preorder via snail mail (pun surely intended). Not sure if that is from a cancelled preorder or a cancelled device though.

DroidX2

« Reply #133 on: December 19, 2015, 12:12:05 am »
Thanks for the update Rob! Seems like it will be a while before we hear anything new. Unless another company tries an Android based gaming phone, nothing else to really do but wait, or make your own gaming case for the Note 5 using a 3D printer. ;)

robman2122

« Reply #134 on: December 19, 2015, 12:19:44 am »
Thanks for the update Rob! Seems like it will be a while before we hear anything new. Unless another company tries an Android based gaming phone, nothing else to really do but wait, or make your own gaming case for the Note 5 using a 3D printer. ;)
No problem. The case is coming along quite nicely! The hurdle right now is money at Christmas time to blow on a decent controller to canabilize. I saw someone else say somewhere that they still intend on releasing the phone in Q1 2016 but I'm doubtful. The further it gets from its initial release date, the less appealing it looks to most. I wanted to believe in the W3D so badly and even waited a year for its release only to be left disappointed. Even if the phone were to come out anytime soon and completely overhauled I don't think I'd be a buyer any more

DroidX2

« Reply #135 on: December 19, 2015, 11:53:05 pm »
From what I read a couple days ago, it seems to be a problem with the materials they are using for the screen. I'm thinking something to do with the glasses free 3D, which is a nifty feature, but also the most hated since it can really bring nothing to gaming since it's rarely supported.

If there is a non-3D model, they should have released that one first, to satisfy the market, then release the 3D model later if the 3D model is the one causing the issue. I'm pretty sure a 100 price drop for a non 3D model would be better than what's happening right now.

shinkamui

« Reply #136 on: January 01, 2016, 11:16:42 pm »
Short of them flat out lying about the glasses free 3d, they indicated during several press events that its using an IR camera to track the angle of the eye from the center of the screen to provide the effect, similar to the Nintendo wiimote project, or more commercially, Amazon's failed firephone.  Anyone who saw the firephones 3d effect knows it provides a very solid 3d effect.  The screen literally wouldn't have anything to do with that, unless they're doing something completely new thats undisclosed.  If there's a problem with the 3d, it would likely be software related.  Hard to imagine they sourced bad IR cameras this late in the production run.   

FYI, its January, guess that end of december date was also a lie.

fofo33

« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2016, 02:21:44 am »
This device is dead with the apparition of JXD S192. Only for 50 dollars I'll buy one. RIP.

silvacrest

« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2016, 03:08:02 pm »
i'll agree this device is probably dead but the JXD S192 is not a real replacement for this, the JXD is a powerful 7 inch tablet with controls, the w3d is a gamephone that i can actually put in my pocket and make calls with

DroidX2

« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2016, 01:38:16 pm »
I agree silvacrest, the JXD looks nice, but it's no replacement. JXD has made a gaming phone in the past with the JXD 5800. I wish they would try their hands at it again.

As for Snail, I'm not sure what to say at this point. They haven't officially announced anything. No word, even after a lengthy port about the phone on their facebook page. The Chinese website doesn't have anything new either.

Speculation on the Chinese website seems that they are waiting since they re-released the 78P01 in white. The 78P01 (Snail W1) was released in August 2014, so that phone is almost a year and a half old. Either way, if they were gonna wait, they should have waited before releasing news of a new phone, and planning release dates.

I guess this is what happens when an area has no competition. It's saddening really. Most companies are trying to compete with home consoles and PC gaming with Android gaming. I think they have a better chance with portable since Android is already thought of as portable, and all they have to compete is the dying Vita, and unique Nintendo DS.

Only time will tell. If it comes out, I'll still get it, but the excitement is over.

Post a new topic