Author Topic: Anybody still using the XPeria Play?  (Read 554 times)

jonothan (OP)

Anybody still using the XPeria Play?
« on: January 19, 2018, 01:21:22 pm »
I managed to find a good deal on an XPeria Play, and it made me wonder:  is anyone else still using one of these devices as a gaming handheld?  I have absolutely no interest in it as a phone, but in terms of it being a PSP Go with a better screen, more emulator choice, and bluetooth support for my headphones, I'm definitely interested in seeing how it works even if the software IS old at this point.

Faust

Re: Anybody still using the XPeria Play?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 05:42:42 pm »
Hi, you better keep your Psp if you are not interested in the phone ability.

The Xperia play doesn't handle Psp emulator, PlayStation emulator works well but the gfx quality is better on the Psp compared to the quality offered by the emulator.

Envoyé de mon 6039Y en utilisant Tapatalk

jonothan (OP)

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 06:07:16 pm »
I guess I should have been more careful with my wording.  I didn't mean I was interested in it exactly duplicating every function of the PSP Go, but more that I like the form factor a lot.

I mainly see the Xperia Play as possibly being something to play pre-32 bit systems, but with a nicer screen, good build quality, and bluetooth support.

PSX, PSP, etc I'll probably continue to run on my Vita.

bouncyblob

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 07:59:33 pm »
The Xperia play is exceptional at pre 32 bit gaming.  Snes and bbq were my main uses for this system.  Psx is ok but nothing to write home about.
Current:
PS vita, new 3ds xl, GPD Q9 soon to be XD, GCW zero SE, openpandora, nvidia shield portable and tablet.

Old:
yinlips g16, jxd s5100, jxd s7300, dingoo a320, wiz, zipit, wikipad, bunch of other handhelds....

cloudstr

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 01:26:01 pm »
Hello, same question as OP :) My local store sell both Xperia Play and PSP 2000 at very similar price, and I wonder what device have better battery life and emulation performance (pre-32 bit systems)?  I also hear some complaints about the input lag on Xperia Play, does it really true?
Thank you.

DroidX2

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 06:19:01 pm »
Speaking of Xperia Play. I have a Verizon Model Play that I'd like to go to a good home. I have pics if anyone interested. I really only need a cover for shipping, which by USPS Priority is like 7 bucks. It's the Xperia Play, comes with charger, and headphone jack adapter, with original box.

If anyone interested PM me. Payment through Paypal.

Thanks! First PM gets the gold.

P.S.: I can only ship within the US. My apologies to all international parties interested.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 05:03:42 am by DroidX2 »

jonothan (OP)

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 01:05:48 pm »
Hello, same question as OP :) My local store sell both Xperia Play and PSP 2000 at very similar price, and I wonder what device have better battery life and emulation performance (pre-32 bit systems)?  I also hear some complaints about the input lag on Xperia Play, does it really true?
Thank you.

I have the Xperia Play, a PSP 1000, PSP 2000, and PSP Go, and I'd recommend the Play if you're looking at below-32-bit emulation.  My experience so far is that the Play handles PS1, NES, SMS, Genesis, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, GG all very well, and it has more RAM and better battery life than my PSP units.  Granted, I also have the extended battery for the Play, but considering it's difficult to find a reliable after-market battery for the PSP units at all...
So far, I haven't noticed input lag with the Play.  I also see a few people loudly proclaiming about input lag on Android in general (the OS, not just the Play in particular) but I have yet to see anything that stood out to me.
In case you need it, here's a pack with some files that might be useful in setting up a Play:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/4a5cs41n9hbn8mw/Working+Xperia+Play+Files.7z

It has the kernel and ROM that I used, as well as a collection of the emulator APK files.

AVahne

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 11:41:39 pm »
Well I can emulate really simple PSP games on it like Project Diva, but in terms of 3D PSP games you won't be playing much else.

roneyizpie

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 09:01:26 pm »
Thank you.

I have the Xperia Play, a PSP 1000, PSP 2000, and PSP Go, and I'd recommend the Play if you're looking at below-32-bit emulation.  My experience so far is that the Play handles PS1, NES, SMS, Genesis, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, GG all very well, and it has more RAM and better battery life than my PSP units.  Granted, I also have the extended battery for the Play, but considering it's difficult to find a reliable after-market battery for the PSP units at all...
So far, I haven't noticed input lag with the Play.  I also see a few people loudly proclaiming about input lag on Android in general (the OS, not just the Play in particular) but I have yet to see anything that stood out to me.
In case you need it, here's a pack with some files that might be useful in setting up a Play:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/4a5cs41n9hbn8mw/Working+Xperia+Play+Files.7z

It has the kernel and ROM that I used, as well as a collection of the emulator APK files.

Hey Jon! I actually have a stock Xperia Play Ri800 or something like that, I forget. Do you have any instructions to get these installed? I have experience with flashing roms on almost every android phone I've owned, but I'd like to be on the safe side.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic