Author Topic: Android Gaming Controller: Moto Mod Gamepad  (Read 14233 times)

DroidX2 (OP)

Re: Android Gaming Controller: Moto Mod Gamepad
« Reply #135 on: September 13, 2017, 10:14:19 pm »
To those owning the Moto Gamepad. I've noticed a bug that happens randomly, but mostly when the phone is locked, or the screen is off on a call. It may have something to do with the proximity sensor and the mod. However, when the Gamepad is connected. It doesn't happen too often to be a deal breaker, but it seems the phone will reboot randomly.

It may be apps I have installed, or possibly a negative reaction to the Moto Display. Now that I think about it, I never tested to see if that would stop the reboots. I'll test that.

In the mean time, please respond if anyone has experienced reboots with the Gamepad attached.

Thanks!

By the way, as for the D-Pad, I've been wearing it down more and more, and am actually able to play fighting games and make diagonal moves and even double taps much better, firing fireballs and all. I also discovered a way to take the Mod apart if I have to go that route and mod the mod, lol!

What I've done was just press really hard on all directions repeatedly. It may have something blocking the diagonals similar to the Gamevice. With the recent price drop, I'm looking at taking it apart, since if I break it, another can be bought rather cheaply.

I wonder if the D-Pad is interchangeable?

DroidX2 (OP)

« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2017, 03:15:51 pm »
Hi all! Just a little update for the Moto Mod Gamepad. We received an update, maybe a little more than a month ago, and I've been testing to verify. Yeah, I get pretty extensive, or lazy, either one, lol!

Anyway, I'm glad to report that Moto is listening. So far, the issue with the phone restarting while the Mod was attached has been fixed. I also notice I am able to use the d-pad to a much better degree, especially in fighting games. I can throw fireballs repeatedly. While not as great as one would like, fighting games and side-scrollers are now playable. That could be from breaking it in, but either way I'm happy.

I'm also happy to report that the recently released Shadow Fight 3 has controller support, and plays very well with the Moto Gamepad. That's reason alone for me, lol! One of the best fighting games on Android in my opinion.

The only thing we need from Motorola now is a touch screen button mapper, since Verizon locks their phones like Fort Knox and won't allow root.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 03:21:00 pm by DroidX2 »

dilemina

« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2018, 06:55:18 am »
Hi all! Just a little update for the Moto Mod Gamepad. We received an update, maybe a little more than a month ago, and I've been testing to verify. Yeah, I get pretty extensive, or lazy, either one, lol!

Anyway, I'm glad to report that Moto is listening. So far, the issue with the phone restarting while the Mod was attached has been fixed. I also notice I am able to use the d-pad to a much better degree, especially in fighting games. I can throw fireballs repeatedly. While not as great as one would like, fighting games and side-scrollers are now playable. That could be from breaking it in, but either way I'm happy.

I'm also happy to report that the recently released Shadow Fight 3 has controller support, and plays very well with the Moto Gamepad. That's reason alone for me, lol! One of the best fighting games on Android in my opinion.

The only thing we need from Motorola now is a touch screen button mapper, since Verizon locks their phones like Fort Knox and won't allow root.
Mine still restarts when attached to Moto gamepad and idle or in pocket.
Moto Z2 Force T-Mobile

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

DroidX2 (OP)

« Reply #138 on: January 08, 2018, 09:59:41 pm »

Moto Z2 Force T-Mobile

That's odd. Mine did the same thing until we had an update for the Moto Mod. Did you check to see if you had one?

I'm currently - MOTO MOD PLATFORM - 2.5

GAMEPAD SOFTWARE VERSION - 30.22

ANDROID 8.0 (although worked fine after the update on 7.1)

MOTOZ2FORCE Verizon.

Hasn't restarted since. The next update they do I hope, besides a button mapper, is to be able to lock the controller buttons when the phone screen is locked. Would help prevent accidental button presses in the pocket and help the phone, and Mod battery life.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 10:08:13 pm by DroidX2 »

DroidX2 (OP)

« Reply #139 on: January 08, 2018, 10:15:00 pm »
By the way, if anyone is interested, Verizon is having a sale for the projector, where if you buy any Moto Mod, you get a projector for free.

Just head to https://www.verizonwireless.com/search/vzwSearch?Ntt=moto%20mod&nav=Global&gTab=20 and place a Moto Mod in your cart, then add the Projector Mod and you will see the discount applied. I already have a projector, but I just got a spare, lol!

Works great if you wanna play your android games on the big screen, granted you have a blue-tooth controller.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 10:16:46 pm by DroidX2 »

SONY

« Reply #140 on: January 08, 2018, 10:22:20 pm »
Looks like this thing is pretty much gone and forgotten, especially in the popularity stakes because not many people own one of these. Wonder how many were sold? Not many?
SONY PS3
SONY PS4 Slim
SONY PS4 Pro

GPD XD

DroidX2 (OP)

« Reply #141 on: January 08, 2018, 10:37:31 pm »
Looks like this thing is pretty much gone and forgotten, especially in the popularity stakes because not many people own one of these. Wonder how many were sold? Not many?

Yeah, future seems bleak for another controller Mod, or for Moto Mods in general with Verizon clearing house like that. I'm rather saddened since it was one of the better attempts at a gaming phone, and I've grown quite accustomed to carrying the gamepad attached to my phone. But niche devices come and go like the wind.

Maybe they should make a Mod with facial recognition to allow animojis on the Moto, lol! Or a Mod that added multiple features to the device, like more RAM, Storage, louder speaker and increased antenna reception with backup battery, if it's possible. If not, aside from the speaker, make an antenna booster with backup battery for better radio signal with phone calls and internet, or Backup storage that adds a Terabyte or 2 of space.

Basically mods people use daily. Mostly everything has been niche so far, which is good, but unfortunately, doesn't sell. I'd like them to be successful so they can eventually make more niche mods, like an improved game controller, or an HD Projector with Higher Lumens.

dilemina

« Reply #142 on: January 09, 2018, 07:28:23 pm »

Moto Z2 Force T-Mobile

That's odd. Mine did the same thing until we had an update for the Moto Mod. Did you check to see if you had one?

MOTOZ2FORCE Verizon.

Hasn't restarted since. The next update they do I hope, besides a button mapper, is to be able to lock the controller buttons when the phone screen is locked. Would help prevent accidental button presses in the pocket and help the phone, and Mod battery life.
Hmmm... My mod platform is 2.0 I didn't update to Oreo yet though.

DroidX2 (OP)

« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2018, 02:53:18 pm »

Moto Z2 Force T-Mobile

MOTOZ2FORCE Verizon.

That's odd. Did you try a manual update for the Mod Platform and Oreo? I saw reports that the Oreo update was released for T-Mobile Z2Forces.
https://www.xda-developers.com/t-mobile-moto-z2-force-android-oreo-ota/

dilemina

« Reply #144 on: January 17, 2018, 05:28:41 am »

Moto Z2 Force T-Mobile

MOTOZ2FORCE Verizon.

That's odd. Did you try a manual update for the Mod Platform and Oreo? I saw reports that the Oreo update was released for T-Mobile Z2Forces.
Funny thing. My phone prompted me to update to 8.0 for days, but I needed it online for work so I kept delaying it.
Then after about a week or more I had time and accepted the update.

It asked me to download and I accepted, then it never downloaded. And my phone says it's up to date (7.1.1 \ August security patch) whenever I check.

I think missed the OTA rollout window for my model I guess.

DroidX2 (OP)

« Reply #145 on: January 17, 2018, 10:41:58 pm »

Moto Z2 Force T-Mobile

MOTOZ2FORCE Verizon.

Funny thing. My phone prompted me to update to 8.0 for days, but I needed it online for work so I kept delaying it.
Then after about a week or more I had time and accepted the update.

It asked me to download and I accepted, then it never downloaded. And my phone says it's up to date (7.1.1 \ August security patch) whenever I check.

I think missed the OTA rollout window for my model I guess.

That's weird. You may have to go to T-Mobile's website (https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-35970)
and do the update manually. As for the Moto Mod update, I guess just keep checking. It wasn't until after I received the update that the controller stopped restarting the phone.

Each update I received came and applied automatically. I actually wanted to wait a little longer before installing 8.0 to make sure I wouldn't lose any important features.

Post a new topic