Author Topic: The Official Fall of the Neo Geo X  (Read 3751 times)

fredmacking (OP)

The Official Fall of the Neo Geo X
« on: October 06, 2013, 11:21:40 pm »
We all new it was a piece of ish, but as a neo geo fan I would be lying if I didnt say at some point I was interested in the device.... but SNK put the nail in the coffin lmao

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/05/snk-orders-neogeo-x-gold-manufacturer-to-stop-producing-selling/

Drem

• Russian Android/Dingo/GCW/gaming gadgets blog
Re: The Official Fall of the Neo Geo X
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 09:14:38 am »
I know it will sound naive, but I hope that SNK is planning to make his own dedicated gaming handheld. Branded Android gaming smartphone/phablet, if nothing else.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 12:14:12 pm by Drem »

lemmywinks

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 03:31:58 pm »
Wow, looks like whoever owns the SNK brand actually does give a damn about the name and provenance after all, better late than never.

Feel sorry for the people who bought it though, especially those with fond memories who thought it was a legit device.
Handhelds:
GPD XD 64gb, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go
Consoles:
XBox360, Wii, PS2 Slim, PSOne
PC:
HP Touchsmart 11 (AMD A6)
Voyo A1 Mini
Psion 5 & 5MX

fredmacking (OP)

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 06:26:29 pm »
I definitely feel like quality was a concern.... but I'm also interested in what are SNK's plans for the future.

1.) Will they create a new modern or retro system?
2.) Stick to game development?
3.) handheld or console

Either way I'm so hooked on my Zero right now its gonna be hard to top it, the emulation is dead on.

lemmywinks

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 06:59:07 pm »
They'll probably just make more generic fighting games like it was still 1990.

Would be cool to see them make decent original games on Wiiware or something similar, don't know if they have the budget to release actual hardware, in the current market a great quality product (which their fans would expect) would be expensive to poduce and their fanbase is limited. Perhaps they are better off being a software only company like Sega, licensing their brand to Tommo/Blaze is only going to hurt them.
Handhelds:
Consoles:
PC:
Voyo A1 Mini
Psion 5 & 5MX

fredmacking (OP)

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 10:01:52 pm »
Whats even weirder is that SNK threatened to take legal actions.... I wonder if Tommo did something unethical... there is more to this story and I'm interested.

lemmywinks

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 11:49:49 pm »
Whats even weirder is that SNK threatened to take legal actions.... I wonder if Tommo did something unethical... there is more to this story and I'm interested.

Well they used Dingux and FBA without releasing sources to sell their hacked up console in the first place which is a GPL violation, basically illegally using the work of the open source community to turn a profit. Also there were reports of other Dingux emulators on the internal SD as well as a dodgy PS1 bios....

If that's one of the reasons SNK wanted rid of Tommo then good on them.
Handhelds:
Consoles:
PC:
Voyo A1 Mini
Psion 5 & 5MX

Drem

• Russian Android/Dingo/GCW/gaming gadgets blog
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 07:12:17 pm »
What a twist, Tommo said they will go on with Neo Geo X anyway:
http://tommo.com/press-release/tommo-responds-to-wrongful-termination-claim-by-snk-playmore/

Higgs

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 02:41:35 am »
As much as I liked SNK back in the day this thing had 'nostalgia trap' written all over it ever since the first images leaked.

I would really like if SNK or Sega made a true attempt at getting back into hardware, no need to go against the Xbone or PS4, something like the Ouya would be fine, just support it for f--ks sake! don't use it as yet another way to get a quick buck off the few fans you got left...

lemmywinks

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 03:28:20 pm »
I don't think it's worth it for them really, a Sega branded Android box could turn a profit but would they make games exclusive with a seperate Sega store? Otherwise people would just use a generic (cheaper) one for the same thing. Would be cool if it came with wireless Saturn pads though, I'd probably buy one.

I like how Sega are doing things at the moment though, they release games on just about everything and I imagine they're turning over some decent profit. Wish they'd port Sega Bass Fishing over though!
Handhelds:
Consoles:
PC:
Voyo A1 Mini
Psion 5 & 5MX

Post a new topic