Author Topic: Problem with "Unread posts" function  (Read 4416 times)

Drem (OP)

• Russian Android/Dingo/GCW/gaming gadgets blog
Problem with "Unread posts" function
« on: January 23, 2014, 03:45:10 pm »
To read this forum I'm using Tapatalk HD Pro on my Android tablet & Firefox 26 on my PC (Win7). I'm visiting Dingoonity everyday and reading literally everything, using "Unread posts" page, but since last month I've noticed that its began to omit some of new posts on forum that were made in between my visits. I'му noticed that while browsing forum lately. Which is bothers me, actually. Are there anyone else who encountered same problem?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 05:09:57 pm by Drem »

omgmog

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
Re: Problem with "Unread posts" function
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 04:53:25 pm »
Might be because I need to update the Tapatalk plugin, I'll look in to it.

MightyJAK

• My tumblr
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 06:08:17 pm »
I think the issue might be caused by accessing Dingoonity from multiple devices or IP addresses, regardless of the client used. For example, if you visited from your tablet and left some new posts unread, if they had no new posts in the time between your tablet access and your PC access those threads will get moved from the "Recent Unread Topics" page (http://boards.dingoonity.org/unread/?start=0) to the "All Unread Topics" page (http://boards.dingoonity.org/unread/?all;start=0).

It took me a while to figure this out, as I was misreading the meaning of "recent". Rather than meaning "since your last visit", I assumed it was going by some internal timer, like 24 hours or something. I figured out this wasn't the case when I was away from the boards for a few days and saw those few days' worth of posts in the "recent" section, then later saw threads that had been posted the same day but only appearing in the "all" section (after accessing from a different device).
My machines:
GBC,GBA,GBA SP,NDS,NGPC,Panasonic FZ-10 3DO,NES,Sega Nomad,Sega CDX w/Power Base Converter,PS1,PS2,PS3,Saturn,Dreamcast,PC (Win 98, XP, 7),Dingoo A320,Dingoo A330,Gemei A330,LetCool N350JP,PAP-GAMETA,GCW-Zero SE,Kyocera Rise,2DS,GP2X-F100,GPD G7,JXD 100,JXD A1000,JXD A3300,JXD F3000,JXD V5000,JXD S7300B,Hyperkin SupaBoy

Currently playing: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call (2DS)

Drem (OP)

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 06:37:22 pm »
Interesting point, MightyJAK. I think I'll take a break from Firefox reading for the rest of this week to see if it's really IP/device related issue. Though must note that I always read each thread with new posts on each visit, regardless of device.

Agrajag

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 10:06:02 pm »
I think it's the plugin causing the issue, as I use Tapatalk almost 100% of the time and I've been noticing this problem for a while, just hadn't got around to reporting it.

omgmog

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 09:37:13 am »
I've updated the plugin now, so could you folks could let me know if the problem persists  8)

Drem (OP)

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 03:33:38 pm »
Well, I did not visit this forum for almost 40 hours (from 0:00 24 January to 14:00 25 January, by Moscow time). And, though I was planning to abstain from reading via Firefox, I actually decided not to use Tapatalk app. So I left the forum and visited it today using same IP/device/program - Firefox on my PC. Though my Tapatalk app gave me some notifications in Android system bar, about new posts in my subscriptions on Dingoonity - maybe the problem lies here?
But problem is persisted - after reading all of "Unread posts" today I've checked forum sections manually one more time and discovered no less than 20 threads with unread posts from that 40 hours interval :(.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 03:37:46 pm by Drem »

Agrajag

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 11:13:22 pm »
I'm only seeing the most recent 26 unread threads in the Unread view and can see there are more if I switch to Timeline or Browse.

Drem (OP)

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 07:20:52 am »
I turned off bar notifications in my Tapatalk app last weekend and it looks like problem is gone now. This week I noticed only two or three missed posts. Don't know if notifications were issue or omgmog has did something with forum, anyway, thanks for help, folks!

Agrajag

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 04:38:42 pm »
Just thought I'd bring this back from the dead to say the above suggestion didn't work for me at the time but the problem is definitely resolved now.  I haven't been on the forum much lately, but have just had a look in Tapatalk and there are 1278 unread posts!

omgmog

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 11:27:15 am »
Good to know! I'll close this thread now.