Author Topic: What do you consider as retro game?  (Read 2315 times)

55Ophen (OP)

What do you consider as retro game?
« on: November 26, 2014, 10:09:48 am »
Like the title said, what's your opinion? As for me, video games are retro games. I have no idea about the clear line of retro and modern games.
My devices:
GB, PS3, jxd s7800b

zhongtiao1

Re: What do you consider as retro game?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 10:49:46 pm »
I consider starting at about the GBA (but not PSP) and anything less powerful as retro games. Although, I guess since people are still making famicom games you could argue about whether those are retro or not.

Pardue

• GamingGems
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 05:12:11 am »
Everyone will have their own opinion, so the best answer is- "it depends."

I disagree that it's based solely on the age of the device or game. I learned that the hard way when I backed "Retro" gaming mag on Kickstarter, believing that they were going to provide content on classic games. Then when the magazine came in it was mostly about new games being done in the retro style. So for some people "retro" is just a visual or gameplay style. Minecraft is "retro."

What do I consider to be retro? My definition: 1) any game that doesn't use polygons; or 2) if it does use polygons, anything that's 2D or 2.5D

I don't consider something like, say, Goldeneye on N64 to be retro. It's definitely old, but I would argue it's a modern game in every sense of the word. Something like 3D Dot Game Heroes is retro even though it's newer than Goldeneye because it's 2.5D despite what its name suggests.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 05:14:42 am by Pardue »

lemmywinks

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 10:15:32 am »
Ps2 era and older for me, at the moment anyways.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

opt2not

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 10:53:24 pm »
Simple graphics, high difficulty, no tutorials.

That's pretty much retro to me.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic