Author Topic: Streets of rage remake  (Read 11471 times)

yippekay

Streets of rage remake
« on: April 06, 2011, 11:51:35 am »
Welcome back to the blog!

It has been 8 years of work, but the final version is here, this is complete and ready for download, Surprised? ;)

First of all, you can read the terms of use.

PROMOTIONAL PIC

PROGRAM
Streets of Rage Remake is a project created from scratch, it does not use reverse engineering nor a single line of code from the original games. It?s all based on visual interpretation, comparing how things work in the original games and trying to mimic it for Streets of Rage Remake.

Some of its functions:
* Animation timing, animation positioning, control response, X/Y/Z positions and physical movement for all characters are accurate to the original games.
* 64 modules of AI per enemy to represent walking and reactions.
* Collisions and damages based on the original games.
* The same score system algorythm that is used in SOR2.
* Grabs and vaults as in the original games.
* Autosave savestates that allow you to continue the game from the same point, exit windows,  alt+x, etc.
* Prediction of resources, to speed loading times.
* All functions of all the original games in the series are emulated:
- Over 30 configurable options in the menu
- Star and Special Meter sytems
- 6-button controller actions
- Different types of weapons, and Special Weapon attacks
- Police specials
- And much more

GAMEPLAY
Tests have been conducted for months to ensure that the game plays well, plays accurately, has the smallest possible number of bugs and an appropriate difficulty level.

MATERIAL
The following material has been created exclusively for Street of Rage Remake V5, and V4 (with all that implies).

CUTSCENES
The game includes original cutscenes between stages, totalling over 40 cutscenes and 8 endings.

STAGES
There are stages in the game that are either completely new or remastered, adding more colors, more scrolling layers, interactive details not present in the original games and much more.

THE SPRITES
Over 10 designers have been working for years to create new sprites, creating 19 playable characters all with a complete set of moves, new enemies, new details on the stages and much more.

MUSIC
The music has been remixed by 5 different musicians, they are in OGG format (44khz, 128kbps) and contain practically all the songs in the original series, including Game Gear versions and some new tracks, a total of 76 songs.
* All songs have been volume controlled and EQ.

SOUND FX
The game contains audio sounds from the original games that have been recorded directly from a Megadrive/Genesis.
* Each enemy and character has their own voice channel (a total of 24 channels of audio)
* The shrill sounds accumulate in specific channels to avoid distorting the audio.
* Ambient sounds are a new feature of the game.

SUMMARY OF THE CONTENTS OF THE GAME

You can see the promotional poster for the game here.

103 STAGES
- 93 stages in story mode
- 5 stages in extra modes
- 5 stages in the Prototype mod (separate download)

19 PLAYABLE CHARACTERS
- SOR1 characters remastered with new moves
- SOR2 characters with new moves
- SOR3 characters with new moves
- New playable characters

64 ENEMIES
- All enemies from SOR1 remastered.
- All enemies SOR2 (RGB color correction).
- All enemies SOR3 (RGB color correction).
- New enemies based on the Game Gear versions and even the cover the game!

REMIXES 83
- 76 in V5.
- 7 in the Prototype mod.

ADDITIONAL CONTENT
- Profile Editor
- Color Editor
- Name Editor
- Sormaker
- Cutscene Viewer
- Profile Viewer (and commands)
- Image Gallery
- 16 cheats
- Battle Mode
- Survival Mode
- Boss Rush mode
- Events Mode (16 events)
- Volleyball Mode
- Allied cpu mode
- And more than 30 customizable options

The planned online feature had to be scrapped as there were problems getting the game to run lag free, even from early build. It would of taken longer to wait for an improvement on this, so it was left out and more time was spent on improving the game itself.

ENDING
In the coming weeks the blog will be updated with the release ports (Linux, Wiz) and the official SORR V5 soundtrack in mp3 format.

http://www.bombergames.net/sorr_project/

Coccijoe

• Underground Portables
Re: Streets of rage remake
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 01:55:31 pm »
ENDING
In the coming weeks the blog will be updated with the release ports (Linux, Wiz) and the official SORR V5 soundtrack in mp3 format.

Maybe they will port to pandora, dingoo, caanoo... too?
Thats will be great it's an awesome game!

dhalsimrocks

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 01:43:14 pm »
Oh wow, I was just looking at this about a week ago, wishing it would come to fruition.  It's very good to see it finally finished. I'm a huge SoR fan and this game looks incredible.

Looking forward to the Linux port and it would be *really* cool to see a Dingoo/Dingux port.

Bouvrie

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 10:40:19 pm »
Wow, this caught me by surprise. Great news & from the looks of it it's a pretty feature-packed game! :D

It'd be cool if it were playable on the Dingoo, I just completed Zelda. :P
Write/save problems? Segmentation faults? Black screens? Read the Troubleshooting and FAQ guide first to fix your issues! :)
SD Card readonly/corruption issues? Chkdisk /F and steer clear from DMenu: use GMenu instead!

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 07:31:37 am »
This is not half as good as any Rage game made by SEGA.

yoshi41

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 09:29:45 pm »
And for what reason ?
Emulator packs and fact sheets for Wiz, Caanoo, Dingoo and Pandora.

Bouvrie

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 12:13:39 am »
And for what reason ?
Trolling. I hear SEGA itself now prohibits this fan remake to be spread. Must be good then. :)
Write/save problems? Segmentation faults? Black screens? Read the Troubleshooting and FAQ guide first to fix your issues! :)
SD Card readonly/corruption issues? Chkdisk /F and steer clear from DMenu: use GMenu instead!

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 12:29:05 am »
I hear SEGA itself now prohibits this fan remake to be spread.

Oh wow, you're right. That's some ol' BS. What a bunch of creeps.

I'mma spread it all over the damn place.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 12:50:28 am by Jesse »

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 03:09:13 am »
Worst decision ever by Sega! Actually, it's not their worst decision because being Sega they've made some shocking decisions in the past. Anyhow, bad decision by Sega.

This game has been in the making for 8 years, and Sega decide to shut it down now? If they were smart, and were really only interested in protecting their 'intellectual property', they would have communicated with the developers and struck up a deal. Maybe sell it at low cost on various online networks, anything but shut it down, too much hard work and goodness here to just throw it away.

Start some torrents people.

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 08:28:51 am »
They break intellectual propriety by using trademarked names and copyrighted content. So they got a Cease And Desist letter from SEGA, which was to be expected. The very same happen to that Chrono Trigger remake some years ago.

yoshi41

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 08:44:55 am »
They break intellectual propriety by using trademarked names and copyrighted content. So they got a Cease And Desist letter from SEGA, which was to be expected. The very same happen to that Chrono Trigger remake some years ago.

But they contacted SEGA years ago without any reaction. And now they changed their mind.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/37478/Sega-email-led-to-Streets-of-Rage-mod-removal?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+developmag%2Fifbh+%28Develop%29

And the IP problem is the reason, why the game is only half as good as the originals ?

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 09:23:36 am »
Come on, did you see the vids?
I'm a big SoR fan, and that made me want to throw out...

A game like that is what I call game necromancy. The authors just want to revive an old game. But sometimes old games series should die for new ones to emerge. They could have done a super-great game in the same punk environment that would have given the same actual feeling you had when playing Streets of Rage for the first time. But that's harder to do than stealing another one's concept.

EDIT: Ah my bad, they don't use copyrighted content. Still, they use trademarked names.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 09:28:03 am by Ayla »

yoshi41

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 09:46:56 am »
Come on, did you see the vids?

No. But I have the game on my PC and it's a great remake IMHO.  8)

I was just wondering whether you have a specific point, why you think it's bad. But it seems you haven't even played it.

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 10:23:47 am »
EDIT: Ah my bad, they don't use copyrighted content. Still, they use trademarked names.

So? What kind of sad schmuck cares about that? This was suppose to be a FREE fan game. And it used it's own content inspired by the original games. It was suppose to be an homage. A show of respect and passion for Sega and it's franchise. They tried contacting Sega many times these past eight years to get their blessing and they didn't seem to care one way or the other. Until of course all the work was done and a ton of people praised it. This move makes Sega seem like a bunch of pathetic jealous crybaby has-beens. Sega should be flattered a group of people cared enough to do all this work on their own time and energy for free.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:47:10 am by Jesse »

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 10:48:35 am »
Why should SEGA like that project? Accepting a fan-based remake of their own game would be bad for their brand name. Capcom does worse, they ask their fans about how the games should be, which tends to show they totally lost their originality.

And no, I'm not blind. You are, by thinking that SEGA is pure evil and they have no reason to do this.

@yoshi41: I tend to dislike remakes. It kills originality, and is never as great as the original game.

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 10:53:48 am »
I don't think they are "pure evil". I just think they are pathetic crybaby has-beens. Stomping on their own fans for no real reason over a franchise they haven't touched for seventeen years. It's funny that you think a developer asking what their fans want is worse than that.

And you're the one making blind prejudice remarks. "Isn't half as good as any SoR made by Sega" without even playing it.

But it's not too big a deal, since there's no way they can ultimately stop it from circulating over the net, obviously. All that work is not going to go to waste.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 11:21:46 am by Jesse »

yoshi41

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 11:23:19 am »
@yoshi41: I tend to dislike remakes. It kills originality, and is never as great as the original game.

OK, I see your point. I personally like this kind of beat'em up games very much. This includes remakes and even moderate copycat games like Crest of Wolf;D

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 11:32:03 am »
I don't think I agree about remakes never being as great as the original...

I think that's just the nostalgia talking.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 11:40:54 am by Jesse »

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 11:35:48 am »
SEGA are a bunch of has-been, I agree.

I've seen vids of the game, it doesn't look very appealing, to me at least. Yeah, it's probably my nostalgia, because the spirit of a game is also composed by the memories you have of it... And I have plenty.

Finally, indeed they can stop it from circulating on the net (maybe not totally as it's already been released, but it'll be a pain to find), just like Chrono Resurrection.

@yoshi41: beat'em all ;)

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 11:40:37 am »
Yeah, I remember getting SoR2 as a pack-in with my Genesis. :)

And honestly, I haven't played this remake yet either. Maybe it is indeed a pile of crap. But the videos actually look really good to me.

Still, the main issue is Sega bringing down the ban hammer at the last moment. They had eight years to say no. All that time and passion those guys put into making it...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 11:43:04 am by Jesse »

Post a new topic