Author Topic: Retron 5 vs. Super Retro Trio  (Read 6017 times)

Pardue (OP)

• GamingGems
Retron 5 vs. Super Retro Trio
« on: July 28, 2015, 12:36:41 am »
I just posted my Retron 5 vs. Super Retro Trio review. Ugh, it was a beast to edit.

<a href="https://web.archive.org/web/20190313123323/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9y12oIwCE0" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9y12oIwCE0</a>

You might be surprised with the results...

Enjoy!

Surkow

• * Administrator
Re: Retron 5 vs. Super Retro Trio
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 01:26:47 am »
Must have been a ton of work to edit!

IMHO loading games on the Retron 5 should ideally be done once. After you put back your cart you'd store your current savegame on the cartridge. This is akin to dumping your games, and something I'd strongly prefer over wear and tear of old valuable game cartridges. This being a pipe dream since initially the Retron 5 couldn't even store savegames back onto the cartridges and their piracy stance means the dumps aren't stored on the unit forever.

Compatibility differences between the two can be attributed to one being an emulation machine and the other being a hardware clone. Nothing really surprised me during your video. Maybe the part where both consoles suffer from shitty QA/QC and material choices.

Also, a real GB(C/A) fan has a Gamecube and GB Player (running GBI as homebrew). A GB Player contains a CPU AGB A chip, the very same chip as in the original model of Game Boy Advance. Much more accurate than any of the other hardware clones (even more accurate than the original phat DS!). Maybe time for you to review the GB player. :D

Pardue (OP)

• GamingGems
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 02:37:42 am »
The editing was painful, but I'm satisfied by the results!

It's funny you mentioned that suggestion about being able to store ROMs on the console because apparently there is a new clone console coming that will load ROMs off the carts and keep them in its memory. It's called the Retro Freak. However, it's very obviously intended for the Japanese market because it takes out the NES cart slot and adds one for PCE Hu-cards.

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/03/11/retro-freak-the-new-system-that-lets-you-play-cartridges-from-11-different-classic-game-consoles/
http://www.cybergadget.co.jp/retrofreak/

However, I'm not interested in it because I heard it'll run Android. So I'm positive it's going to have lag and I assume it's going to steal the emulators from RetroAarch, we'll see but the lag alone will keep me away from it.

Yeah, yeah, I need to upgrade my GameBoy cred  :P

I didn't know about the GameBoy Interface!! That's amazing that it doesn't need the player disc anymore, those are getting harder to find and more expensive every time I look them up! I actually do have a GameBoy Player. It's okay, I might mod my GameCube now just to see how that interface works. But I still like the Super GameBoy for the Metroid II color palate. It's an important entry into one of my favorite game series. From what I've seen, I think the virtual console version is sold with just the pea soup original GB colors so -and I might be wrong on this- I think the only way to play Metroid II with the correct palate is on the Super GameBoy. Also, I hear that I should get the Japanese Super GameBoy II because the original runs a tiny bit faster than it should, I'll get one some day.

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 02:36:51 pm »
The licensing debacle surrounding the Retron 5 was not surprising either. The worst are companies creating arcade game ports. Almost all of them abuse non commercial emulators and get away with it without repercussions, as seen in the following except from an article talking about being forced to port a game without having access to the original sources.

SpyHunter had been included in the contract because the suits at the top assumed they could deliver given the fact that they had already released a port to one of the major consoles. When we looked closer into this we discovered that the "port" team had actually written an emulator for that console (based on MAME btw) and simply used it to run a hacked version of the original ROM image which they'd downloaded from a warez site.

This is how legit businesses operate. Therefore it is no surprise that a business operating in a grey area of hardware clones/emulation would operate in a shady manner.

About Retro Freak - it does appear to be yet another Android console suffering from input and audio lag. Might be better to just release peripherals which create game dumps and can write back save changes to the original game cartridge.

Although it is tempting to start investing in a Super GameBoy device, most SNES setups are simply too costly for what they offer.

People finally reverse engineered the Gamecube component cable. They found out the signal can be converted to just about any signal - even HDMI. Haven't spotted any commercial clone cables in the wild though (the schematics were released after it was reverse engineered). this would allow a comparison between analog and digital output via a GB Player and other hardware offering GB(C/A) support.

I'd recommend the Datel SD Media Launcher if you want to run GBI in combination with SWISS. No need for hardware mods that way.

Pardue (OP)

• GamingGems
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 02:20:31 am »
It's sad that companies take advantage of the open source community. As much as I like to point out how stupid the guys at Hyperkin are, I have to admit they're smart for choosing to seal from a community that doesn't have a lot of power or resources to stop them.

You're making a really good case for me to make a video about the GameBoy player! I'd love to see how it looks with those component cables but they're so expensive. I wonder if I can hire someone to make it for me. I'll be looking into it because I like what I see so far!   ;D

Girl

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 01:43:32 am »
I just posted my Retron 5 vs. Super Retro Trio review

thanks for showing this, i was going to get that for someone as a gift but didn't know anything about these and your video helped bunches
i'm cheating on my PSPs

Pardue (OP)

• GamingGems
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 09:21:02 pm »
I just posted my Retron 5 vs. Super Retro Trio review

thanks for showing this, i was going to get that for someone as a gift but didn't know anything about these and your video helped bunches

You're welcome!

The feedback on that video has been very positive and it's saved a few people from the misery of buying one.

ED from the OpenPandora is making the RetroPi which will be on Kickstarter soon and it's arguably what the Retron5 should have been from the beginning. I'm planning to get one since I've been wanting to check out the Raspberry Pi emulation scene and this is a great excuse to take the plunge.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 09:22:36 pm by Pardue »

Girl

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 04:29:48 am »
ED from the OpenPandora is making the RetroPi which will be on Kickstarter soon and it's arguably what the Retron5 should have been

oh nifty so maybe people should just wait before buying those other kinds , but what if it's overpriced oh no?? =^r
i'm cheating on my PSPs

Post a new topic