Author Topic: Windows tablet emulation and ipega 9023  (Read 6915 times)

Cbale (OP)

Windows tablet emulation and ipega 9023
« on: July 16, 2015, 08:55:36 pm »
Hello i have a toshiba encore windows 8.1 tablet problem is all the emulators i find seem to not run saying missing files ect, never had a problem with any android emulators or on a desktop p,c but then again never used win 8.1.
Any advice on best emulators? Also any problems using the ipega 9023 with emulators and windows?
Any help really appreciated. Cheers

lemmywinks

Re: Windows tablet emulation and ipega 9023
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 10:50:14 am »
They should work, I don't have many emulators on my tab but the ones I have installed all work correctly. Should be exactly the same as running it on a PC because that's what it is, which files are missing?

The Ipega will be fine for emulation, you might need a workaround (x360ce) for some Windows games though. My old Ipega 9021 and the 9017 both worked.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
HP Envy M6, Acer 522, Dell Mini 9
Psion 5 & 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

LordDavon

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 01:05:33 am »
I just ordered the iPega 9023 from Amazon to use with my Chuwi Hi8 and Shield Tablets.  I was thinking that the Atom processor in the Chuwi may not have enough power to really play a lot of emulators and games, so I started looking for some other low cost tablets.  Does this one look like it will fit the iPega (10.6")?

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/CUBE-i7-Stylus-Windows-8-1-4GB-64GB-Electromagnetic-Screen-Tablet-PC-Intel-Core-M-Quad-Core-2-0GHz-10-6-Inch-1920-1080-Bluetooth-HDMI-OTG-WiFI---Black-348522.html

lemmywinks

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 10:46:33 am »
I was thinking that the Atom processor in the Chuwi may not have enough power to really play a lot of emulators and games, so I started looking for some other low cost tablets.  Does this one look like it will fit the iPega (10.6")?

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/CUBE-i7-Stylus-Windows-8-1-4GB-64GB-Electromagnetic-Screen-Tablet-PC-Intel-Core-M-Quad-Core-2-0GHz-10-6-Inch-1920-1080-Bluetooth-HDMI-OTG-WiFI---Black-348522.html

I've seen that one crop up in email offers, looks nice but on the expensive side. Do the keyboard and stylus come included in the price? They are optional extras in the bundle section but the wording seems to indicate they are included in the $489 price.

I guess it's up to you to decide if the extra power is worth a considerable price hike though, you can pick up the T100 pretty cheap on the used market.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

LordDavon

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 03:32:05 pm »
I've seen that one crop up in email offers, looks nice but on the expensive side. Do the keyboard and stylus come included in the price? They are optional extras in the bundle section but the wording seems to indicate they are included in the $489 price.

I guess it's up to you to decide if the extra power is worth a considerable price hike though, you can pick up the T100 pretty cheap on the used market.

The one for $489 comes with both the keyboard and Stylus.  They have a version that some with neither, and another 2 that come with either.  I may just get the model with the stylus, since it looks like the tablet just sits on the keyboard, and doesn't snap together.  I have a Surface Pro 3, and the keyboard snaps in, and makes it more like a tablet at times.  I'm just looking for a smaller style that doesn't use an Atom processor.

Does the T100 come in an i3 or Core M version?  my Chuwi Hi8 has an Atom 3736F w/2GB RAM, but I read that it is a pretty underpowered processor.

lemmywinks

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 07:06:16 pm »
Ah right I thought you were after something with a proper keyboard dock which is why I suggested a used T100. AFAIK it doesn't come in more powerful versions, they used to do an i5 and i7 Transformer but they were much bigger. Basically a thick, heavy ultrabook and an unwieldly 13" tablet in one overpriced package which nobody bought!

All lot of the more powerful tablets I've seen tend to be 12"-13", I think there was a Yoga around 11" though.

Personally I find the Atom 3735f more than enough for me, sure it's never going to run modern games (although lots of PS3 era games are fine) but it punches well above it's weight. I made mine into a mini laptop with the help of this guide, total cost about ?70:
http://kingoftweaks.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/mod-keyboard-for-miix-2-8.html
Handhelds:
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

lemmywinks

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 09:03:11 pm »
Btw which emulators do you expect the Atom to struggle with? From briefly testing it I found that everything up to N64 works really well, much better than Android and other alternatives, however GC/Wii are too slow and PS2 is out for the time being. From what other peple say DS isn't as good as Android (no DraStic) and PSP is about the same. SSF is surprisingly good for Saturn games, doesn't support ISO loading though IIRC.

I've been playing quite a few PC games on mine from pixel art indie games (which obviously run perfectly) to reasonably modern mainstream titles like Left4Dead, Fallout 3, Burnout Paradise and GRID as well as some demanding older titles like Far Cry and Half Life 2. You can game on it pretty well I think, certainly better than anything else that size!
Handhelds:
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

LordDavon

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 03:57:44 pm »
Oh, thank you for that info.  I didn't realize it had that kind of power.  I received my iPega 9023 the other day, and love it.  But, I've mostly been using it with my nVidia Shield Tablet (just recalled) to play Witcher III from bed.  lol...

I will try it on the Chuwi Hi8 tonight, and pop Steam on it.  There is an RPG I am dying to see if it can handle.  Thanks again!

Hagane023

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 08:43:22 am »
I have the Chuwi vi8 so the hi8 should be better, like lemmywinks I have no trouble other than button mapping occasionally. I had a similar problem to you with missing parts missing. Check your update settings are all ticked try downloading again. After installation reboot. Worked for me. Lemmywinks, what controller would you recommend?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 05:40:18 pm by Hagane023 »

lemmywinks

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 11:28:09 am »
Controllers depends on personal preference really. If you want to use it like a proper gaming tab then the Ipega 9023 is your only real option, not got one myself but I have the 9021 and apart from the dpad it's very good. If you're using it primarily for emulation and have the tablet on a stand then I think the 8bitdo controllers are great. I have the FC30 Pro and it has a great dpad (seriously, it's fantastic!) and nice mini analog sticks as well as two pairs of shoulder buttons. It can link via bluetooth as a generic pad but also via USB as an XBox360 pad which is great for Windows games, so it's pretty much the pad to use if you need something compact to play your Steam/GoG library on the go.

One drawback with the 8bitdo is the lack of analog triggers, so for racing games it's not ideal. In fact due to the small size it's not great if you need to use both sets of shoulder buttons in a game, I have big hands but can usually get used to small controllers yet I find it a struggle sometimes. I would say if you want to play mainly PC games then get a wired or wireless XBox360 pad. Drawbacks here are the dpad, overall size and stupidly long cables - however you can shorten the cables if you can solder, I did that on the USB dongle for my wireless pad but I guess it's the same procedure for the wired version. I wish they would integrate the dongle into the tablet, would make it a much better experience.
Handhelds:
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

Hagane023

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 10:24:08 pm »
Cheers. Love the chuwi vi8. Surprised with how good games are. Emulators are great anyhow.

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 11:40:02 pm »
Hi everyone. I also bought a chuwi vi8 a couple of months ago. So far i'm satisfied with the performance. My only question is about the cpu frequency and turbo. Mine keeps around 1.3ghz and rarely it reaches 1.5ghz, but never goes above it. Has anyone here being able to reach the turbo frequency around 1.83ghz?

LordDavon

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 08:29:10 pm »
Just wanted to give everyone an update.  I flashed the tablet to Windows 10, and connected the controller.  I fired up Steam and put it in "Big Picture Mode".  It runs pretty good, actually.  No new games run on the thing, but Fallout New Vegas seems to run well enough to play.  I am installing Of Orcs and Men now, and will take a look at my others to see what plays well and what doesn't.

Steam Big Picture Mode looks like it was made for this.  Just loving it!

David

Update: Of Orcs and Men does NOT work on this device!  lol...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 03:44:05 pm by LordDavon »

LordDavon

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 06:21:48 am »
So, now that I have Windows 10 on the tablet, I thought I would try out Xbox streaming to the tablet using the iPega 9023.  The Xbox app in Windows 10 pops up that an Xbox controller isn't installed and doesn't accept the iPega for any input.

Does anyone know of a way to get the iPega detected as an Xbox controller?  I've been able to get a PS3 controller emulated as an Xbox controller, so there may be a hack out there.

lemmywinks

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 11:04:50 am »
I'm not aware of any spoof software for bluetooth controllers other than x360ce (which is hit and miss), in fact I saw on the 8bitdo forums someone had already asked that question and they said it wasn't possible over bluetooth but surely it can be done.

There may be something useful here:
http://gimx.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
EDIT: Actually that will be of no use at all!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 11:08:40 am by lemmywinks »
Handhelds:
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

LordDavon

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 11:01:33 pm »
I'm not aware of any spoof software for bluetooth controllers other than x360ce (which is hit and miss), in fact I saw on the 8bitdo forums someone had already asked that question and they said it wasn't possible over bluetooth but surely it can be done.

Oh, that's right!  I used to use an app in Windows that allowed me to use a PS3 controller via bluetooth, and emulate an Xbox controller.  I just found it here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ds3tool/

It used the actual Xbox drivers, injecting itself in as part of them.  Since it is open sourced, I wonder if there is a way to get it to work with the iPega. 

UPDATE:  DS3 may not be open sourced.  Not sure why it is on SF.net though.  But, I was able to find this package: http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/SCP_Driver_Package
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 11:09:51 pm by LordDavon »

lemmywinks

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 11:37:18 pm »
MotionInJoy has been known to be dodgy, not sure if it is still like that. Was full of popup ads and didn't uninstall completely IIRC, not really used it myself tbh so that could be internet scaremongering. Heard good things about Better DS3 though:
http://betterds3.ciebiera.net/
Handhelds:
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

LordDavon

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 06:58:48 pm »
I am going to play with SCP when I find my VS 2010 DVD.  I had it in my laptop bag, but when I left my last job, I think I may have left it there.  :-(  Might have it in the closet though.

Mountainmohawk

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2015, 12:38:47 am »
What are the most powerful 7 or 8 inch tablets? The dell venue 8 pro looked interesting. I saw a video of it running tekken on psp pretty well. (I didn't notice any audio glitches!)