Author Topic: Which device should I get?  (Read 2169 times)

sadgasm (OP)

Which device should I get?
« on: January 24, 2017, 09:25:45 am »
Hi there,

I own a 7" Android handheld and I follow the development of those devices as well as the  development of portable Windows devices.

A field where I don't have any expertise at all are all those smaller handhelds which are Linux based or have a dedicated firmware (Dingoo, GZW Zero, GPH devices...).
For portability reasons I want to get myself one of those devices. Even clamshell devices like the GPD Win or GPD XD are to big for what I am looking for. I want a real small device which I use for 8- and 16-Bit gaming and if it doesn't raise the price some 2D PS1 gaming (Symphony of the  Night, Alundra, Mega Man...).

Since I don't know what the go to device is for my needs I would like you to tell me. Which has the best combination of price, built quality and game compatibility?
Handhelds:
Game Boy Classic, Game Boy Advance SP Classic NES Edition + EZ Flash IV, Nintendo DSLite + M4i Gold, PSP 1001, Big Ben Gametab One

Consoles:
Nintendo Super Enterteinment System, Nintendo Wii with Homebrew Channel, Sony Playstation 1, Sony Playstation 2, Sony Playstation 3

DiegoSLTS

Re: Which device should I get?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 01:05:54 pm »
I think the only one of those consoles that's still in development is the GCW Zero, and it's the most up to date in terms of hardware and software.

You might be able to get a used Dingoo A320, which now supports some light PS1 games under OpenDingux with pcsx4all.

I don't know anything about the GP32, but I think it was discotinued even before the Dingoo, and I always got the impression it had less capabilities than the Dingoo.

sadgasm (OP)

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 03:13:04 pm »
I heard that there are some mixed opinions about the long hyped GCW Zero when it was released. What's about that?

Since the GCW is significantly more expensive than the Dingoo I would like to know a bit more about them. I know that there where companies how split, then besides Dingoo there is Gemei and that even same named devices differ in built quality and hardware and that you have to look at things like the pan logo to tell them apart from one another. For someone who is new this is extremely confusing. Where can I find a complete overview over these topic. Which device should I specifically get, what can I get it and what will it cost?
Handhelds:
Game Boy Classic, Game Boy Advance SP Classic NES Edition + EZ Flash IV, Nintendo DSLite + M4i Gold, PSP 1001, Big Ben Gametab One

Consoles:
Nintendo Super Enterteinment System, Nintendo Wii with Homebrew Channel, Sony Playstation 1, Sony Playstation 2, Sony Playstation 3

Keillor

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 02:43:47 am »
Would a PSP-3000 or PSP Go be the right size? They go for fairly cheap on eBay. I've used them for emulation with custom firmware and they'll handle SNES and Genesis titles smoothly. The PSP can also play PSX games natively.

DiegoSLTS

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 04:08:23 am »
I heard that there are some mixed opinions about the long hyped GCW Zero when it was released. What's about that?
I don't remember the details, but I think you shouldn't worry about mixed opinions when it was released, focus on the current state.

Since the GCW is significantly more expensive than the Dingoo I would like to know a bit more about them. I know that there where companies how split, then besides Dingoo there is Gemei and that even same named devices differ in built quality and hardware and that you have to look at things like the pan logo to tell them apart from one another. For someone who is new this is extremely confusing. Where can I find a complete overview over these topic. Which device should I specifically get, what can I get it and what will it cost?
I don't remember much about all this. The A320 supports OpenDingux so you have a lot of options on emulators and games. The A380 has better specs but it has a closed OS and the community was smaller. The A330 is the less popular. I remember there was something about the paw logo but I'm not sure what it was. In any case, look for the A320 with the logo, that's the one I have and it's the one that supports OpenDingux.

The Zero is not made by the same people, it was made by... Justin? I can't remember his name. He had a history previous to this as a reseller of this kinds of consoles and I remember people having doubts based on some problems he had doing it. It has a lot in common with the Dingoo A320, but the main thing is that it supports OpenDingux natively, so it had almost everything that ran on the A320 in the first months. Later it had some more things, like the PSX emulator that runs mostly at full speed (The A320 has the same emulator now, but with it's specs you don't get that performance).

The development of the Zero had it's up and downs like most Kickstarter projects and like most "first" projects. But the console always looked really good to me. I didn't buy it because by the time the Zero came out there where a lot of Android handhelds that did a lot more for less money. Since you don't own any of them, if you want a small handheld with a good Linux OS, I'd suggest you buy a Zero. You can play what you said in your first post in the A320, but I guess it's hard to buy one in good conditions.

chevette

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 12:19:36 pm »
This device is almost exactly the same as a Dingoo A320 and comes with Dingux preinstalled. I just bought one recently and it works great. Shipping was fast, and a fair price. Nice small size, fits nicely in the pocket.
A good replacement for a Dingoo A320!
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-DINGOO-A330-Game-Console-Black/757900180.html

gameblabla

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 07:45:56 pm »
If 8-bits (NES), 16-bits (PC-ENGINE, Megadrive, SNES) and PS1 is what you only use,
the GCW Zero should fit your bill.
The Dingoo is increasingly becoming rarer and they are worse than a regular PSP
as far emulation is concerned... seriously.

If you can grab a PS Vita 3.60, it's also worth considering as Retroarch was ported to this platform.
But finding a PS Vita with firmware 3.60 might be tricky.

The GCW0 can emulate all consoles up to the PS1 pretty well, as well as all portable consoles up to the GBA.
PS1 games run pretty smoothly thanks to PCSX4All and you can also play some N64 games with Mupen64Plus.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 07:48:25 pm by gameblabla »

Keillor

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 12:18:03 pm »
This device is almost exactly the same as a Dingoo A320 and comes with Dingux preinstalled. I just bought one recently and it works great. Shipping was fast, and a fair price. Nice small size, fits nicely in the pocket.
A good replacement for a Dingoo A320!
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-DINGOO-A330-Game-Console-Black/757900180.html

It was mentioned earlier that those devices can do light PSX emulation. Do you have any experience with trying that out or N64? I'm not familiar with Dingux devices.

sadgasm (OP)

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 10:05:21 pm »
As I said CGW Zero is to much for my budget and PSP and PS Vita to big for what I am looking for. What about the Gemei A330 I can find it for under 50 online. Is it any good? Are dead pixels common?
Handhelds:

Consoles:

dmitry_smagin

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 06:08:49 am »
Gemei a330 is arm-based, so no support, no fixes, no community, no nothing. You stick to pre-installed emulators and that's it. If anything goes wrong, not much people would be able to help.
On the contrary, Dingoo a320/a330, GCW0 or PSP are well-known devices with tons of emulators, games, information etc (though PSP is closed-source and trickier to use).
GCW-Zero prototype, Dingoo a320, Ritmix rzx-50, Dingoo a380, Xperia Play

van denhawk

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 09:37:55 am »
As I said CGW Zero is to much for my budget and PSP and PS Vita to big for what I am looking for. What about the Gemei A330 I can find it for under 50 online. Is it any good? Are dead pixels common?

Where is Gemei on sale?

Gemei a330 is arm-based, so no support, no fixes, no community, no nothing. You stick to pre-installed emulators and that's it. If anything goes wrong, not much people would be able to help.
On the contrary, Dingoo a320/a330, GCW0 or PSP are well-known devices with tons of emulators, games, information etc (though PSP is closed-source and trickier to use).

Slaanesh is updating Mame on Gemei A330 so it might be worth it if you like Arcade games

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 09:42:30 am by van denhawk »

sadgasm (OP)

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 01:55:36 pm »
Handhelds:

Consoles:

jutley

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 12:42:14 am »
Don't they are scam had to get refund from PayPal.
Devices
GCW White Retail
GameGadget
Arduboy
PocketChip

Pardue

• GamingGems
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 12:43:11 am »
I just reviewed the Xperia Play. I've been totally against going the Android route for a very long time but this device is seriously impressive regardless of its age. Check out this thread which helped me decide to get one: http://boards.dingoonity.org/other-game-systems/who-can-help-me-on-my-emulation-quest/

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUeRoJgFVg8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUeRoJgFVg8</a>

The pros:
-10/10 build quality
-decent battery life
-very compact
-can be used as a spare phone (or in an emergency)
-has phone features a dedicated handheld won't have
-PSX and N64 emulation is surprisingly good
-Android emulation apps still getting updates
-has tons of custom rom support if you want to do that
-has a neat little dock you can buy for it
-still very plentiful, cheap both new and especially used

The cons:
-shoulder buttons are a little weird
-analog pads take some getting used to but do work well afterwards
-some of the emulators have issues depending on their version
-some apps don't work if you're using the stock 2.3 firmware
-a little bit of lag, but it's only a problem in the twitchiest 8/16 bit platformers

Overall, it's a lot of bang for your buck. Even if you just want to try it out, decent condition used examples can be had for about $30 if you keep an eye on ebay. I wasn't expecting much but I'm genuinely surprised at how much I'm using this device, and I'm mainly playing PSX/N64 games instead of retro games that I usually play on handheld emulation devices.

van denhawk

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 08:08:24 am »
I've been totally against going the Android route for a very long time

Can I ask why?

Post a new topic
Post a new topic