Author Topic: Which device should I get?  (Read 1546 times)

businesstron

Re: Which device should I get?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 04:17:09 pm »
What about a Caanoo?  It's old but it emulates up to PS1(atleast 2d games) decently.   

Pardue

• GamingGems
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2017, 06:26:37 am »
I've been totally against going the Android route for a very long time

Can I ask why?

Mostly because of lag. It really does get in the way of early difficult NES platformers.

The Xperia play has a little bit of lag but thankfully lag became less of a problem in the N64/PS1 era, or at least with the games I played on those so that's what I've found myself using this handheld for most of all, so it's still worth it. In other words, there are just a few games I actively avoid playing on the Xperia Play but everything else that doesn't require extreme precision works like a charm and I barely notice the lag at all.

Another reason is that I just don't like how connected the Android systems are. I like that I can play older devices without them automatically updating or changing my settings, that kind of stuff can turn me off to an emulator permanently. it just feels like I don't have complete control over the device and I hate that. Being too connected can be a problem.

van denhawk

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 05:20:12 pm »
I've been totally against going the Android route for a very long time

Can I ask why?

Mostly because of lag. It really does get in the way of early difficult NES platformers.

The Xperia play has a little bit of lag but thankfully lag became less of a problem in the N64/PS1 era, or at least with the games I played on those so that's what I've found myself using this handheld for most of all, so it's still worth it. In other words, there are just a few games I actively avoid playing on the Xperia Play but everything else that doesn't require extreme precision works like a charm and I barely notice the lag at all.

Another reason is that I just don't like how connected the Android systems are. I like that I can play older devices without them automatically updating or changing my settings, that kind of stuff can turn me off to an emulator permanently. it just feels like I don't have complete control over the device and I hate that. Being too connected can be a problem.

I am considering buying a GPD XD which seems to be very popular for android gaming and emulation. Being an android device, does it also suffer from these lag issues?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 05:47:01 pm by van denhawk »

Pardue

• GamingGems
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 08:16:43 am »
I've never owned one, but if it's Android I can assure you it will. Do your research first though, it varies with devices.

But before going cold to that device, evaluate what kinds of games you're planning on playing on the go. If you're not going to play twitchy 8/16 bit games, then a powerful Android device shouldn't be that bad in terms of lag for the games you do want to play.

I'm happy to give up playing a few games in my library if it means the rest of them play well in an ultra portable form factor. Everything is a compromise.

van denhawk

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 02:40:33 pm »
I've never owned one, but if it's Android I can assure you it will. Do your research first though, it varies with devices.

But before going cold to that device, evaluate what kinds of games you're planning on playing on the go. If you're not going to play twitchy 8/16 bit games, then a powerful Android device shouldn't be that bad in terms of lag for the games you do want to play.

I'm happy to give up playing a few games in my library if it means the rest of them play well in an ultra portable form factor. Everything is a compromise.

I want to play 8/16 bit games on consoles (NES, Megadrive, SMS, PCEngine, Atari 7800 etc) and pre year 2000 arcade games. If there is lag in those games then XD may not be a wise choice?