Author Topic: The Monon Color - A new video game console from China  (Read 1561 times)

zhongtiao1 (OP)

The Monon Color - A new video game console from China
« on: April 16, 2017, 04:36:24 am »
I was browsing the Aliexpress video game console section the other day and found this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Quality-2-0-Monon-Video-Game-Player-Console-with-100-Games-and-4-Game-Cards/32768266847.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.hKCqEv

I thought nothing of it, thinking that it was just another emulation machine like other pvp machines, until today when I decided (because I was bored) to look into it.

I only managed to find one website about it: https://tieba.baidu.com/p/3501829953

From what I found out, it is made by a company called M&D.

It has a 320x240 TFT screen and 3-5 hours of battery life. I think it uses AA batteries, but I don't know for sure as neither the post above nor the listing say.

The post above says that the quality is good and that it doesn't feel like a knock-off console. Also, the graphics are apparently on par with the GBC/GBA but the gameplay feels like an old java phone game. The cartridges are slightly thicker than a GBA cartridge and slightly shorter.

The company (M&D) supposedly has said they will publish a new game every month.

The baidu post above is dated 2015, but the picture in the listing says copyright 2016 (could the listing be a more powerful version?)

It gives a whole bunch of games on the back:

I bought one and it should be here within twenty days. There are currently over 9,000 left if you want to get one yourself ;)  (Also, I hope that guy's hands are tiny otherwise it's going to be a huge box)

Pardue

• GamingGems
Re: The Monon Color - A new video game console from China
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 10:17:15 pm »
Nice find!! I'm thinking of getting one.

The two games at the top right look really cool. Almost like Mega Man but I wouldn't want to get my hopes up.   :P

zhongtiao1 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 11:39:32 pm »
Nice find!! I'm thinking of getting one.

The two games at the top right look really cool. Almost like Mega Man but I wouldn't want to get my hopes up.   :P

Yeah, I'm not expecting much. One of them (bottom left) almost looks like a pokemon type game. I wonder what the 4 game cartridges are? Also, will there be 100+ games included? the baidu post doesn't mention that

zhongtiao1 (OP)

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 05:21:03 am »
@Pardue

I found out that there is an IR port for multiplayer

I also found some videos of the device. Its Chinese name is: 梦龙彩色掌机

This one looks like it is bundled in the 4 game packaging, a card battler type game:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDy8d-oveYg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDy8d-oveYg</a>

It uses 3 AA batteries (Check at 2:30):

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTQ0ODAxMDE4OA==.html

In this video it looks like the volume and brightness controls are all virtual (2:10):

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XODcyOTQzNTcy.html

You can find more videos here: http://www.soku.com/search_video/q_梦龙彩色掌机

Pardue

• GamingGems
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 06:32:07 am »
ah! So that's why one cartridge was bigger than the others! It's a card reader.

I'm worried that if I get this I wouldn't be able to use it, it seems purely for the Chinese domestic market. Do you know if it has a language select?

zhongtiao1 (OP)

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 05:45:32 pm »
ah! So that's why one cartridge was bigger than the others! It's a card reader.

I'm worried that if I get this I wouldn't be able to use it, it seems purely for the Chinese domestic market. Do you know if it has a language select?

I have no idea. Honestly though the games don't look too hard to figure out. I'll post a translation of the menus when I get mine.

I managed to order another game from a taobao buying agent, so we'll see how that goes.

Sent from my Q5 using Tapatalk 2

zhongtiao1 (OP)

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 01:00:17 am »
@Pardue

Did you manage to get one? Apparently they are out now.

Pardue

• GamingGems
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 08:04:17 am »
I didn't. I'm in the middle of a move so I couldn't order yet.

Sucks they ran out. I'll keep my eye on this for a possible review in the future. But that's if I can find out about language select. I've reviewed other untranslated stuff before and it usually turns out boring because it's just endless confusion with little explanation.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 08:08:36 am by Pardue »

zhongtiao1 (OP)

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 06:14:31 pm »
I didn't. I'm in the middle of a move so I couldn't order yet.

Sucks they ran out. I'll keep my eye on this for a possible review in the future. But that's if I can find out about language select. I've reviewed other untranslated stuff before and it usually turns out boring because it's just endless confusion with little explanation.

Mine will arrive sometime next week. I'll see if there is any translation select and if there isn't I'll translate some. Most chinese electronics now have english so it wouldn't surprise me if the ui and some of the games have english.

Sent from my Q5 using Tapatalk 2

zhongtiao1 (OP)

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 08:32:09 pm »
My Monon Color arrived Saturday and I have been using it since.

It has start, select, A, B, L, and R buttons and a D-Pad. The speakers are in the front where the black lines are next to the select and start buttons.

On the back, there is nothing except for the cartridge slot and the battery case. It takes three AA batteries.

In the package I got, it came with four games (from left to right), one fighting, two puzzle, and one "action" game.

The first game is an impossible fighting game. The enemies are stacked against you even on the easiest level. I've only managed to beat the AI once and it felt like an accident.

The next game is a bejeweled-like game where, while holding the A button you match multiple of the same color together to create matches. Then an attack is sent against the computer.

The third game is bejeweled. I have probably played it the most as there is a lot of satisfaction when you beat a hard enemy. There is a lot of grinding needed in this game to build up your level to beat the next enemies, but it is fun.

The final game, the "action" game is a side-scrolling beat 'em up. B is the special move which can be changed by pressing L or R.

In my opinion, the games from worst to best are, the fighting game, the bejeweled-like puzzle game, the bejeweled clone, the beat 'em up.

The select button does not select anything. It just changes the brightness, the sound, and the music

Here are some comparison pictures:

Other notes:

Start just pauses the game
Sound quality is okay, but volume is great.
Brightness is great as well
No english feature

Pardue

• GamingGems
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 02:50:46 am »
So no English, that sucks. Still pretty cool to see and I like their form factor. The beat em' up is the only interesting one to me. I wish that fighting game was a Mega Man clone like we thought it was.

Post a new topic