Author Topic: PocketCHIP shipping soon - Will include free copy of PICO-8 fantasy console!  (Read 2251 times)

chip (OP)

Next Thing launched a kickstarter for CHIP about a year ago.  The SBC itself was pretty interesting - 1GHz ARM A8, Mali400, 512MB RAM, 4GB flash, wifi & bluetooth for only $9.  But the really compelling thing was the "pocketchip" accessory.  It's a sort of case/battery/display/keypad combo deal that the CHIP plugs into, turning it into a blackberryish handheld console.

It was weird and cool enough for me to back the KS at the "kernel hacker" level - giving me a total of 6 CHIPs, the pocketchip, and a few other accessories.  I've already received all my CHIPs, and the pocketchips are slated to start shipping later this month. 

Yesterday they announced that all pocketchips will come with a free, fully licensed copy of PICO-8.  If you've never heard of it, PICO-8 is a "fantasy console" - sort of like an emulator for a system that never existed.  It runs LUA-based programs with system limitations that mimic early 8-bit computers/consoles.  There is a fairly active developer community using PICO-8, and there are a couple hundred cartridges available already.  They can all be played for free directly in a web browser.

Probably the best part is that the system is designed around easy game creation and editing.  There are multiple editors for creating games, sprites, music, etc within the PICO-8 system itself.  All cartridges are open/editable, so if you want to see how somebody got a game to work a certain way, you can just open it in the editor and take a look. 

If I wasn't already excited about getting the pocketchip in a few weeks, I certianly would be now.  It's pretty much the perfect pack-in for a weird, retro handheld like this.  If you didn't back the KS, you can still preorder a pocketchip + CHIP combo for $49, and they'll ship sometime next month after all the KS rewards have gone out.

redlemon

It looks great but I wish it had something that even remotely resembled gaming controls.

AVahne

Nice to see they redesigned the case a bit by moving the CHIP slot to the top and added what looks like a back case. I was already interested in this, but now I really feel I should preorder.

Personally, I'd love if they could make a Pandora style case (or work with ED to make a complete clone of the Pandora that revolves around the CHIP) so that we can buy a Faux-1 GHz Pandora for cheaper price.

gameblabla

NO TV-OUT ? NO USB OTG ?
2/10 disappoint, won't buy.

Seriously, this thing looks ass...
The only reason why this gets on the news why this got released is because it actually exists, unlike the Retro VGS.
No Dpad... seriously ?
And people complain about the crappy controls on the Zero but not this !

They advertise it as a Pico-8 console... As a reminder, pico games have a resolution of 128x128.
The screen's resolution is 420x272, like the PSP...
They could have at least picked up a 1:1 display for that thing...

Oh, and it's 50$.

I would not personally recommend it, people will surely be disappointed.

chip (OP)

You've really got the wrong impression.  It's not a pico-8 console, it's a general purpose console that can run (and ships with a free copy of) pico-8.  It runs a customized version of debian, and can be used to run any number of games/apps, including ones that will use the full 420x272 resolution.

It does have TV-out, though only analog-composite.  It does have a full size USB 2.0 port.

gameblabla

You've really got the wrong impression.  It's not a pico-8 console, it's a general purpose console that can run (and ships with a free copy of) pico-8.  It runs a customized version of debian, and can be used to run any number of games/apps, including ones that will use the full 420x272 resolution.

It does have TV-out, though only analog-composite.  It does have a full size USB 2.0 port.
Thank you chip.
You're telling me i got the wrong impression but you can't deny they are putting a huge empathis on Pico-8...
Alas, this thing doesn't even have a Dpad so i don't know why people are even calling it a "console".

I personally wouldn't buy it for 50$, especially when the chip sells for 10$.

But it haz tv-out and otg, omg
10/10 great stuff
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 10:17:40 pm by gameblabla »

Pardue

• GamingGems
Considering it's the same price my parents paid for my first GameBoy and technology has taken us this far for $50, I'm very impressed with it.

You're also mistaken because they've been working on the PocketCHIP ever since the original Kickstarter campaign, it was actually a reward. So it was never supposed to be a stand alone game system, PICO-8 is just icing on the cake at this point. I don't think you get it, it's not for you.

I can't wait for this! I backed CHIP as an impulse buy and when I got it a company in California bought it off me in exchange for a PocketCHIP order. So I am getting it for $9, technically!

AVahne

Does anyone know when preorders will actually end? I get paid next week and should have $60 to spare to pay for the PocketCHIP + shipping, and I don't want to use my credit card.

jutley

This looks like a great deice now you can add gaming dpad and keyboard to it and it also has loads of emulators ported to it.

http://r.ebay.com/l90VdC
Devices
GCW White Retail
GameGadget
Arduboy
PocketChip

Pardue

• GamingGems
I agree PocketCHIP needs a dpad but I don't like that hack job solution. I'd rather print my own:

jutley

That's pretty cool Parude.
Devices
GCW White Retail
GameGadget
Arduboy
PocketChip

jutley

This is my setup
Devices
GCW White Retail
GameGadget