Author Topic: PGS portable gaming system on windows 10!!!  (Read 58733 times)

golgolt (OP)

PGS portable gaming system on windows 10!!!
« on: April 09, 2016, 01:18:35 pm »
Hi,

It's my first topic so I apologize in advance if it's the wrong session.

I just found on the internet this device, which in my opinion, is more interesting than the GPD WIN, it will be released in two models the PGS hardcore and the PGS lite.

CPU - Intel® Atom™ x7-Z8750 Quad-Core 2.4GHZ

DISPLAY - QHD IPS 2560x1440 (5.7*) (HD IPS 1280x720 (5.5*) for PGS Lite)

GPU - Intel® HD Graphics 600 MHz 16 cores

RAM - 8GB LPDDR3 1600 (4GB LPDDR3 1600 for PGS Lite)

OS - Windows® 10 (64-Bit), Android 6.0

STORAGE - 128GB SSD (64GB SSD for PGS Lite)

COMMUNICATION - 802.11a/b/g/n/ac + Bluetooth® 4.0 + 3G/LTE (without 3G/LTE for PGS Lite)

BATTERY - Li-Po 6120mAh battery (Li-Po 4080mAh battery for PGS Lite)

ADDITIONAL - USB 3.0 Host, HDMI 2.0 Host, 3.5mm combo, Built-in 5.0 speakers (2.0 for PGS Lite), Built-in cam and webcam (8.0MP/2.0MP) (5.0MP/1.3MP for PGS Lite), Second HD IPS display (4*), Telescopic analog sticks (basic analog sticks for PGS Lite).

SIZE - 164.1 x 84 x 1.8 mm (160.0 x 81 x 1.4 mm for PGS Lite)

WEIGHT – 320 g. (245 g. for PGS Lite)

_there are some possible update: XL-version of the device in the model range – for those, who want 7 inches
Changing Atom X7 with Core M – this upgrade will seriously affect the price and power consumption, but will increase the performance level by 15-30%
Factory GPU acceleration - this upgrade will increase the performance level by 10-30%, but will also increase its power consumption.

_and for the price: "We are lucky, because Microsoft graciously gives free Windows 10 licenses for all devices with the diagonal less than 10 inches. Furthermore, very lavish Intel company currently actively subsidizes its Intel Atom processors. All these factors together allow us to choose a price of around 250$ (210$ for PGS Lite)."

the links:

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/677593-portable-console-for-all-pc-games-pgs/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5AlGSxsjxg

official site: http://pgslab.com/
Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/p/BD8-MlShp2m/?taken-by=pgs.lab

bamboori

Re: PGS portable gaming system on windows 10!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 03:39:03 pm »
that looks MUCH better than the WIN imo.
but lets see what becomes of this.

golgolt (OP)

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 03:46:37 pm »
and the PGS Hardcore will be dual boot android 6 and windows 10, shame that the GPD won't.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 02:06:27 am »
The GPD WIN will be dial boot, they will release a dual boot firmware after it launches.  They have said this a number of times.

I don't know, I've never heard of PGS, are they reputable?

Also, $250 for the high end specs, hmmm.   Something doesn't sound right.   Well it was posted April 2nd rather than April 1st, so maybe

sircrisp

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 03:31:14 am »
I do like the fact that it has more ram and a slightly larger screen but lack of keyboard leaves a lot to be desired. IMO a 7" screen is the perfect UMPC size, exp in an ultrawide form factor.

Their twitter is entirely in Russian but it says they're based in Detroit. Honestly it all sounds a little too good to be true but we will see.

­

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 04:12:53 am »
I can't find anything about PGS Lab, so it might be a scam - but the price seems to kind of fit. The GPD Win is sold by GPD at about $270, and its main display is a touchscreen, which drives the price point up. Having a traditional non-touch screen and a lower quality touchscreen seems to sit right with me for that price point.

RAM is cheap, and so is storage. The price difference between the Z8550 and the Z8750 isn't huge, to say the least.

So it might be possible. Plus, the fact that they don't have pre-orders yet, and with scams it's literally the first thing they post, is pretty comforting. I really hope this is real. This will hopefully replace my phone, as it runs Android as well, and I can always carry a mini-keyboard to go along with it - not ideal, but at that price point and with those specs, I'm willing to be less comfortable.

brushpicks11

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 07:20:30 am »
If this is real I might have to drop my support of the win. The fact that the second screen can be used as another monitor to place a touch screen keyboard there is basically having the win with way better specs at cheaper price

I hope someone can find information on it enough to confirm it's authenticity and release date before the campaign for the win ends in order to have the time to cancel my order

vcoleiro1

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 07:57:03 am »
I'm leaning to calling this one BS.  I can't find anything on the company.  Their web site which is is all showy mysteriously has no ABOUT section.  There is nothing about the company at all.   Alarms raised.

Doing a search doesn't really bring anything up.  There was a Portable Game Systems which comprised a one man shop selling xbox 360's modded into a suitcase back in 2008. But that's as close as I could find.

Show Extreme Caution folks

Natrox

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 09:57:49 am »
First post here, long-time lurker.

I am going to say that this is a scam. This does not seem like a real device, and here's why:

1. $250 for a device with specs matching or even slightly beating high-end smartphones on the market, how? The specs mention that the device can dual-boot between Windows and Android 6.0. That would make this device a capable smartphone replacement; more than capable even, because it's also a PC! Now I hear you saying; $250 would be able to get you these specs right? I doubt it. Just to give you an example, a Samsung Galaxy S5 costs $215.44 to manufacture alone (source: http://spectrum.ieee.org/static/interactive-apples-and-samsungs-changing-smartphone-recipes), and its price is raised because of profit margins and R&D cost reimbursement before it enters the retail environment. So how can these people sell a device with way better specs for $250? They'd lose money over it.

2. The company is very sketchy. Supposedly it's registered in Detroit, however all of the Twitter communication is in Russian. Further research, and a WHOIS of the page, tells me that the PGS website is hosted in Russia as well. Now, I am not saying all Russians registering companies in the US are by default fraudulent, but in the case of this device I will go ahead and say that it's very sketchy.

3. Here's a nice little hardware blurp from the webpage: "5-CHANNEL SOUND SYSTEM
PGS includes 5-channel sound system with 3D features. It was simply impossible for portable gaming devices of previous generations. High quality speakers will provide you with crystal-clear and expressive sound.". What irks me here is that they call this feature 'simply impossible'. Why is this possible now? Don't you think the big players like Nintendo and Sony would have developed solutions for this? Moreover, how are you going to fit all of these speakers into such a tiny device when it's already crammed full of other stuff?

So here's my verdict:

It's a well-crafted scam. Don't hype yourself up for this. They have posted about this device on many forums, probably to generate excitement. And once the pre-orders open up, you can send them your money and never see anything back for it in return.

Of course, I'd happily accept proof of the authenticity of this device; so PGS if you're reading this, I hereby challenge you to do so.

ker

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 10:36:51 am »
I don't know if this is real or not, but looks pretty nice. I want it.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 10:51:47 am »
@ker

I'd say, if you want one, then the closest you will get to one, is if you go to their site and print an image of it.

­

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 12:50:19 pm »
@vcoleiro1, I don't know. If it is a scam, they've certainly put far more effort to it than usual - talking about upgrade possibilities with actual realistic repercussions, have actual device dimensions for both versions, and aren't shy about having estimated performance of known games (GPD, on the other hand, have just said it'll play certain emulators).

I think we all can agree this is better than the GPD Win. I think it's even excellent as it stands in its own right. I just don't think we've passed the "it's too good to be true" boundary.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 01:04:29 pm »

I think we all can agree this is better than the GPD Win. I think it's even excellent as it stands in its own right. I just don't think we've passed the "it's too good to be true" boundary.

Spec wise it's better, but with no keyboard, it's not really what I'm after, but it would be tantalising as a gaming handheld in it's own. 

Is it a scam or just wishfull thinkers who haven't thought it through. Hard to say. 

Have we passed the it's the too good to be true for that price boundary - IMO , absolutely.

There is no info on the company, there flashy site has no ABOUT section and no info on the company. The site is hosted in Russia (they also tweet in russian). They would make little to nothing on it for $250.   

The Z8750 is $37 + Shipping, The screen would be at least $60+, then there's the 8GB ram $10 or so, the 128GB storage ($35). So just those parts would be  about $150 + shipping of those parts . Then add on the LTE chip, the WiFi chip, blutooth , telescopic sticks (by the way WTF), second screen etc etc.  It would come out to close to if not more than $250, then manufacturing costs, packaging, distribution etc Not to mention R&D.

Sorry, but just no, the Alarms are going off on this one.

Hope to be wrong, but I don't think so.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 01:18:32 pm by vcoleiro1 »

­

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 01:26:04 pm »
As with everything on the internet, you first and foremost have to assume it's a scam - so the odds are it is, and you'll be correct.

But as much as it sets alarm bells with the unknown company, and the twitter language discrepancy, I think it's plausible to think it's real.
A 2K screen and even more have already appeared on mobile phones, so setting its price point at $60 is a bit extreme - especially since it isn't a touchscreen.

Anyway, yeah. With no further information, I doubt I'll preorder it just to stay on the safe side - but I believe it might not be a scam. I hope we'll see later this year and they don't just disappear.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 01:33:42 pm »
@Made in China

Can I ask where you saw that the screen doesn't have a touch layer?

Post a new topic