Author Topic: PGS portable gaming system on windows 10!!!  (Read 106995 times)

Mode7Dolphin

Re: PGS portable gaming system on windows 10!!!
« Reply #120 on: May 19, 2016, 10:21:33 am »
Why do I feel this will be yet another Smach Zero situation where they'll appear at trade shows but ONLY have pamphlets and posters?
The fact PGSLab is working with investors rather doing a KickStarter makes me have a wee bit faith that this isn't a scam.

There's some new info on the PGS here (scroll to the bottom) -- http://fraghero.com/new-handheld-game-console-capable-running-pc-games/--

AVahne

« Reply #121 on: May 19, 2016, 03:21:22 pm »
The new things they're saying sound nice, such as working with Intel to up the GPU clock, but until we get concrete proof of this thing's existence AND that they can indeed sell them for that insanely low price, I have to be skeptical. Immensely hopeful, but skeptical.

Pardue

• GamingGems
« Reply #122 on: May 19, 2016, 08:54:41 pm »
They're so quiet. They must be working hard or hardly working.

maarten12100

« Reply #123 on: May 24, 2016, 11:24:06 am »
From their site:

Even though its thickness is 1.6 cm only and you can even put it in your pocket, our PGS is the most powerful console among all known ultraportable PC-compatible devices.The heart of this device is a quad-core Intel Atom X7 processor, which makes our device the most powerful portable gaming console.
Ok so 1.6 cm according to them here

164.1 x 84 x 1.8 mm
They probably mean 18 mm thickness here.

160.0 x 81 x 1.4 mm
And 14 mm thickness here.

Thanks to four computing cores of this processor, which can work with frequencies up to 2.56 GHz, as well as to GPU with 16 computing blocks and full compatibility with any dual-channel RAM (up to 8 Gb)
They probably meant 8GB here not 8 Gigabit (which is 1 Gigabyte).

So which of the two is 1.6 cm (16 mm) or is this the average thickness. (which would be sleazy wording)
I'd like this device to be real of course and if it is I wish even more there was a ultra hardcore model with v2 core M.

I understand you guys are Japanese just like with the GPD crew you should proofread what you post. The English is quite good better than that of the GPD crew but the statements are still riddled with mistakes.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 01:00:13 pm by maarten12100 »

AVahne

« Reply #124 on: May 24, 2016, 03:31:00 pm »
The signs so far show that these PGS guys are POSSIBLY Russian, not Japanese. Is there something new I'm missing here?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 03:38:08 pm by AVahne »

shinkamui

« Reply #125 on: May 25, 2016, 10:49:21 pm »
Healthy skepticism is understandable, but maybe lets wait until pgslabs does something foul before we start throwing rocks.  They've not asked for a single cent, nor did they attempt to crowd fund this project without a prototype.  Im not even sure why it matters what nationality they are.  If it ends up legit, I'm buying one at launch.  If its not, no skin off my back.  Pre-order culture needs to die anyway, buying blind is stupid.

akaVanguard

« Reply #126 on: May 27, 2016, 10:32:51 am »
I actually like the design and think this might be a really neat handheld if it gets to market, but i think putting a 1440p screen on it is way beyond overkill.
The system simply doesn't have the hardware to play any games properly in that resolution, so whats the point of this?
I think 1080p would be far more sensible.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2016, 12:58:03 am »

vcoleiro1

« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2016, 11:59:04 pm »
Ok , some major news from PGS finally.

Their draft Kickstarter page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pgslab/981507127?token=c0c2fbd9
News via youtube comments by the PGS team:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i60l92f4Z08

Originally Posted by Portable Solutions 5 days ago

Hi, Thank you for attention to PGS!
// "Where i can purchase"
At the moment, nowhere. We are planning to start selling in December. But this depends on many factors.

// "I can not find PGS on the Kickstarter"
Initially, we planned to develop a device using a business investor. Unfortunately, we went with the opinion with the investor. The investor would like to convert the product to the next low-quality junk. While we want to do as a qualitative device as possible. Eventually we going to try luck at Kickstarter. Most likely in the coming week.

Link to a draft of our page:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pgslab/981507127?token=c0c2fbd9

// "do you have prototype?"
Currently, we have several "frankenstein" prototypes. Unfortunately, at the moment they are visually far from the final renders. They based on Microsoft Surface 3 (128\4) stuffing, and it has the same performance. As soon as we have an industrial prototype, we are pleased to show his.

// "2016Q4"
This date we promised our partner manufacturer. Even if we have to move the release date, I do not think that will be a big shift.

// Why so cheap?
Because we can:) The approximate cost of the base model - $ 200. We have big plans for our product, and its future generations (Apollo Like), and we would like to earn a reputation in the eyes of the target audience, get fanbase. Retail will be a little more expensive.

// Retail Constacts?
Currently - nope. We plan to sell our product from Gearbest and Amazon.

// Can you show prototype benchmarks video?
Can, but the results will not differ from the results of testing Surface 3 (128/4), full of them on the web.
In truth, PGS is not the best choice for the most demanding games, like Witcher 3, DOOM 4 etc, but we must remember that these games less than one percent. Battlefield 3? No problem. Mass Effect trilogy in HD? Why not? Bioshock trology? Sure. Skyrim, Fallout 3? Yes. Tens of thousands of great games that are not available on phones and handheld game consoles.

PGS team - fans of the handheld gaming devices. We do not aim to release the device to just make money. We want to do something really new, comfortable, high-quality, popular. And we will do everything in our power to make it. I hope that answered all the questions. If we missed something, ask us. Good luck!
Preorder - Comming June (Kickstarter). But, if you want to see some reviews and final samples test, we recommend you to wait for retail (approximately december).

I thought this vid was funny:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-ynkgaR3ZY
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 04:37:08 am by vcoleiro1 »

AVahne

« Reply #129 on: May 30, 2016, 02:23:42 am »
Hm, their Kickstarter prices are higher than they originally promised...

Pardue

• GamingGems
« Reply #130 on: May 30, 2016, 06:05:54 am »
... Eventually we going to try luck at Kickstarter. Most likely in the coming week.

Preorder - Comming June (Kickstarter). But, if you want to see some reviews and final samples test, we recommend you to wait for retail (approximately december).

I knew it. So much for not going to Kickstarter.

It's also really strange how they worded it. "Eventually we're going to try our luck on Kickstarter... Y'know, like next week or so."

Well they can call it a "preorder" all they want but they'll need a working prototype before they launch. I hope it's more than a disassembled tablet. But I have a feeling this is going to be fun.

vcoleiro1

« Reply #131 on: May 30, 2016, 06:47:58 am »
The whole thing doesnt make sense, they need to explictly show a working prototype to be able to start a Kickstarter project.  They dont have that from the sounds of it.  A hacked tablet definately doesn't pass as  a prototype of their product.   Also, I note that the top of the Kickstarter page says

"This project does not meet the Kickstarter Rules. " .   Pointing to the page which says you need to show a working prototype and not renders. Actually renders like shown are a big no no. Kickstarter rules specifically prohibtis them

AVahne

« Reply #132 on: May 30, 2016, 04:32:27 pm »
Definitely starting to go the way of the Smach. Sigh....Guess all I can do now is hope for the Win's price to drop to $250 or lower.

Mode7Dolphin

« Reply #133 on: May 30, 2016, 08:43:37 pm »
In a few weeks the system prototype will be unveiled at E3 so no need to go into panic mode just yet.

As for the Smach Zero, there's a whole lot of reasons why that KickStarter failed. I'll list my personal issues with it: it wasn't pocket sized (more tablet sized) and it was using experimental controls (the Steam Controller is absolutely horrendous for retro games).

I don't quite get why the PGS has two different versions. The price difference between Hardcore and Standard is marginal given the estimates from PGSLab.

Pardue

• GamingGems
« Reply #134 on: May 30, 2016, 10:30:32 pm »
The whole thing doesnt make sense, they need to explictly show a working prototype to be able to start a Kickstarter project.  They dont have that from the sounds of it.  A hacked tablet definately doesn't pass as  a prototype of their product.   Also, I note that the top of the Kickstarter page says

"This project does not meet the Kickstarter Rules. " .   Pointing to the page which says you need to show a working prototype and not renders. Actually renders like shown are a big no no. Kickstarter rules specifically prohibtis them

Definitely starting to go the way of the Smach. Sigh....Guess all I can do now is hope for the Win's price to drop to $250 or lower.

You betcha. That's how I expect them to skirt the rules.

I know Zear hates gifs but it's worth seeing just how Smach was able to cheat meet Kickstarter's "working prototype" requirement.

We can't stop PGS from going down that same path, that's their choice if they want the money that badly. But if they do then I don't want to hear any crying about how people's reactions and criticism is somehow unfair to them.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 10:33:18 pm by Pardue »

vcoleiro1

« Reply #135 on: May 31, 2016, 12:33:34 am »
Well, that Kickstarter page has tons of photo realistic renders in it.  Kickstarter explicitly points out in its rules that photo realistic renders are prohibited. So if they go ahead, that kickstarter page will have to be drastically altered. All the photos and videos pretty much.

As for them showing the PGS at E3, nope, they are not on the exhibitors list.  So no , they wont be there, not unless they are a last minute entry . E3 starts in 14 days
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 12:10:39 pm by vcoleiro1 »

AVahne

« Reply #136 on: May 31, 2016, 01:49:39 am »
They claimed that they will be at E3 in some form I believe. Still, even if they're a last minute entry I can't expect anything more than a small booth with pamphlets like Smach.

Pardue

• GamingGems
« Reply #137 on: May 31, 2016, 08:27:19 am »
My prediction:

leafar

« Reply #138 on: May 31, 2016, 01:19:00 pm »
I will say I hope PGS pull this device off, let's give a break.
Considering that the x7 8750 runs pretty hot I doubt it that this small machine will reach all the features mention from them, special passive cooling system??????????. No even one right now, even the core m skylake, so passive cooling system you got to tell the truth about to lock the system for not getting hot.
I don't see the difference in price range between the lite core and the hard core, just give  and other version with bigger display and better cooling system passive or active I want choices, give me those choices and I am definitely going to buy the device for sure.
Good luck

vcoleiro1

« Reply #139 on: June 01, 2016, 12:04:05 am »
How are they planning on fitting a 6100mAh battery in that thing

Post a new topic
Post a new topic