Author Topic: Open Handhelds Comparison Sheet  (Read 13398 times)

BAFelton (OP)

• Open Consoles
Open Handhelds Comparison Sheet
« on: January 26, 2012, 09:26:09 PM »

Hi there,

we worked on a sheet with comparison between the open handhelds of the moment.

You can take a look here : http://tinyurl.com/open-source-handhelds

We'll update it when a new attractive console will come.

In the comments, you'll find the best emulator for each console, maybe there are mistakes in this sheet, so don't hesitate to let us know :)

Thanks to Coccijoe ;)

bamboori

Re: Open Handhelds Comparison Sheet
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
i hope you will add the jxd s601 ;D

im an idiot.
looking nice ;)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:54:14 PM by bamboori »

bigdavebear

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 10:31:47 PM »
Very nice Good Work ;)

Looking at the features, buttons/controlls and price the JXD S601 ticks all the boxes there are a few Emus not out but sooner or latter they would be made for Andriod (apart from the non popular/obscure ones). So there is not much that the JXD does not have or is missing here is a list of what it does not have.

Radio, HDMI, Vibration and USB pad Support, and also no Bluetooth, GPS and 3G but  maybe not needed.

So  the YDP has a few extra features over the JXD (HDMI, Extra Camera) but then carries higher price and only Andriod 2.2 (unless get the upgrade version).

I am also suprised how much the Wiz/Caanoo Emulate (remember while Wiz offers more the Caanoo can use Ginge to play some of the Wiz stuff).

Of course the king of Emulating is the Pandora but they are rare, and shows that what sets it apart is dedicated team and software support.

Which makes you wonder had the orginal Dingoo A320 (not the DT company that alienated itself from community) actually had the CPU Power and Ram of the Caanoo/Wiz how great a device that could had been. Or if the Caanoo/Wiz combined both consoles pros i.e having a D-Pad and Analog and again i am sure that device would do great.

So while the Pandora is good but rare, its a pitty they did not make another system that was based on simular design the JXD and YDP use (i.e like PSP/Vita) i am sure that would be interesting.

But looking at the systems it does show to me that the JXD has a lot of potential, if only there was in future a Dingux/Lingux based port for it that runs from the SD card so that the community could also develop for it instead of rely on the Andriod community.

sq

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 04:41:37 AM »
how many of these handhelds are truly open source?

bigdavebear

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 03:02:05 PM »
All of them are.....

I would say in order of support it depends, because the Yinlips and JXD devices are Andriod which means a massive market of Apps and Games, but a number wont be of any use for the systems and some may not run at all or work propperly... saying that the same can be said with certain Andriod Tablets and Smart Phones not every one of those can run/use every app out there.

Then we go onto the other devices and the Caanoo/Wiz have a good deal off support (there may be a little bias on here as its a Dingoo board) but these GPH devices are well supported they can also use GP2X homebrew via a Application called Ginge.

Then we have the Dingoo A320 which also has a lot of support, and is nice and really small for pocket portability.

After that the Dingoo A330 does not quite have the homebrew support of the A320 and lastly the A380/A320E have even less support mainly due to most of the community who worked on the A320 not willing to work for stuff for the A320E/A380 because of how the company who made them had used/borrowed/stolen a lot of the Comminties hard work without giving credit or releasing source code to any improvements made.

Oh forgot the Pandora can Emulate a lot more, it has decent homebrew support but as far as Emulation goes it supports more systems than the others and does better job, but these devices are rare and hence hard to come by when they can be found they cost a lot.

BAFelton (OP)

• Open Consoles
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 08:12:27 PM »
Thanx for the comments ;)

Added JXD S7100 + GP2X F100/F200.

ricsi

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 08:18:45 AM »
Yinlips does support 32GB MicroSDs.

It just their data sheet that is screwed up ... the same datasheet that mentions that it has a "1.2GHz CPU".

darth_llamah

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 09:01:26 AM »
I wouldn't call YPDG18 an "open handheld"-Yinlips will not release any sources.

The Shadow Beast

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 12:02:08 PM »
WHat about the Ritmix?

bigdavebear

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 04:01:33 PM »
I would assume once people get hands on it and test it then it would be listed also.

BAFelton (OP)

• Open Consoles
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 08:12:14 PM »
WHat about the Ritmix?

If someone has complete infos about it, i'll add it.

SNESFAN

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 01:53:59 AM »
I've been gathering info about it, still trying to track down more like what it's capable of doing etc

Ingenic JZ4755 XBurst processor @ 400Mhz
    4.3'' TFT Display
    480 × 272
    64MB of RAM
    4 GB internal memory
    microSD slot (up to 16 GB)
    182x80x15 mm
    192 g
    microphone
    accelerometer
    FM radio
    1800 mAh battery (5-6 hours)
    mini USB 2.0 port
    Linux 2.6.24, based on Dingux

http://forum.openhandhelds.net/index.php/topic,28.0.html
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 12:30:33 PM by SNESFAN »

pcercuei

• Hackordéon
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 02:27:01 PM »
The info about the GP2X is a bit wrong:
- The F200 version does have a touch screen,
- The F100 version does not have a D-pad but an analog stick,
- It has two 200MHz real CPUs, not one.

And the A380 is not really an "open handheld"...

bigdavebear

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 03:10:48 PM »
Interesting Ayla....

But is the A380 not really open, due to no one being able to program and produce homebrew for it or because many will not bother to waste their time doing so, due to the way the company ripped off and used other peoples work with out credit and would not release the source code to any modifications they did do any of the Dingux based software/emus.

pcercuei

• Hackordéon
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 03:54:34 PM »
I say it's not really an "open handheld" because it has not been conceived with open source in mind. The only real open handhelds IMHO are the GamePack ones and the Pandora.
Dingoo Digital did release an SDK, which makes the A320 a bit more open as it shows that at least the company was allowing homebrew.
With the A380, they had an opportunity to make a real open handheld, being Linux and open-source software based. But they did lock everything. And their SDK is the unmodified tarball of booboo's toolchain.