Author Topic: New review of the Revo k101  (Read 7594 times)

deBeauharnais (OP)

New review of the Revo k101
« on: June 21, 2014, 06:41:22 pm »
So, I got this new device a few days ago, and since I am very pleased with it, I decided to make a quick review.
I'll just speak of a few highlights instead of a full pros/cons test (others already did it, just do a quick research on these boards), but I will answer to any questions if you have some.
For a very long review, see http://gbatemp.net/threads/k101-revo-official-gbatemp-review.339019/

- Cost/shipping: the device is quite unexepensive ($70) and the shipping price is included. I got mine in 2-3 weeks, which is quicker than the 15-20 business days they indicated on the website. The cardboard box was a little bit crushed, but the box itself was undamaged.
- Packaging: everything that was included (except the device) was quite flimsy. I broke the lanyard just by trying to put it on the device. The micro-SD - USB adaptor seems very brittle too. The pouch looks like an ugly umbrella pouch, and smells plastic. The cable is ok (it is mini usb, not micro usb), but it doesn't fit very well into the electrical plug. Well, it fits anyway, and I'm sure you already have a ton of mini usb cables. Oh, and I got a 8 Gb card instead of a 4 Gb, which is cool.
- Device and button layout: I am frankly amazed. It is extremely solid. It is, for example, a lot sturdier than the gcw-zero. When holding it, we have the feeling that we can transport it wherever without fear. However, the screen has no protection (and attracts dust on it), so use a pouch and don't push it too much when dusting it.
The buttons are way better than those of the gcw-zero! (even the revised ones). They give the same feeling of a real gba sp, and click pleasantly without squeaking. The shoulder buttons are softer, even flabby, but they work well and seem solid anyway.
- Connectivity: I am yet to test the tv-out, but I must insist on one thing: the link plug is AWESOME. I took my old gba sp and link cable out from my closet, I linked it with the k101, I turned the gba on with mario kart, and launched the mario kart rom on the k101 and played the game with my sister exactly like I played it 12 years ago! This is why it is awesome: you don't have a feeling that you are using an emulator, even if you launch roms from it. You really are using a gba clone.
- Software: the software is very simple, yet efficient enough. Basically, the roms you put on the card are listed, and you select the one you want to play. (Don't forget to put the thumbnails pictures for every rom you have: this is simply done and it is very well explained here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/k101-revo-official-gbatemp-review.339019/)
Keep something in mind though: this is no emulator! this is a gba hardware, even if it reads roms. So no savestates, no fastforward, nothing! You won't be able to cheat! ;-) (Well actually you can activate cheatcodes, but I was meaning no emulation cheats, such as savestates). The software also have a clock function, so that you can play pokemon without any problem.
- Battery: I think the device uses the actual gba sp battery, but it does not last very long. You can play 5-6 hours, and the charge lasts 2-3 hours. Well, I think I could lower down the backlight in order to play 7-8 hours. Will test it.
- Game cartridges slot: I have nothing special to say. Every game I tested worked well, everything was recognized. But note that the fake cartridge you get (with the micro sd slot in it) does not work on a real gba! So these are no everdrives or whatever. Theydon't even fit well into a gba sp.

Well, that's all I can think of. I'll edit the post if I want to add anything else.
Feel free to ask anthing!
Eug?ne

sadgasm

Re: New review of the Revo k101
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 08:11:33 am »
Thank you for this great review.

I have a GBA SP and a EZ Flash IV but there is no way to play Pokemon GB/C Roms properly because the GBC emulator won't save on Pokemon games.
How is the GB/C emulation on the RevoK101? Could you run for example Pokemon Yellow and see if saving is possible?
Handhelds:
Game Boy Classic, Game Boy Advance SP Classic NES Edition + EZ Flash IV, Nintendo DSLite + M4i Gold, PSP 1001, Big Ben Gametab One

Consoles:
Nintendo Super Enterteinment System, Nintendo Wii with Homebrew Channel, Sony Playstation 1, Sony Playstation 2, Sony Playstation 3

deBeauharnais (OP)

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 05:23:57 pm »
I did not test the gb / gbc emulator yet! But I will try it soon with the gb / gbc pokemon games, and I'll give you an update.

deBeauharnais (OP)

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 05:29:13 pm »
Oh, and I tested the A/V out, and it works very well! The game takes the full screen of the television, and you can adjust the ratio that you want.
Just don't forget to lower the television sound volume and increase the k101 one, otherwise the sounds will be very bad.

sadgasm

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 05:01:34 pm »
Thank your very much.

Did you already manage to thest the emulator?
Handhelds:
Game Boy Classic, Game Boy Advance SP Classic NES Edition + EZ Flash IV, Nintendo DSLite + M4i Gold, PSP 1001, Big Ben Gametab One

Consoles:
Nintendo Super Enterteinment System, Nintendo Wii with Homebrew Channel, Sony Playstation 1, Sony Playstation 2, Sony Playstation 3

hosunlee89

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 01:00:40 am »
Oh man, I must have gotten the last shipment available for single orders. On their official site, they say they only do wholesale orders now.

I can't wait for it to get here. My GCW is getting some serious play time, but I still can't wait to try out revo k101.

panshuai0

• My Hocoslamfy high score is 40. I Love My Gcw Zero
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 01:14:23 pm »
 ;D
Hi, everybody! I come from China!

I also have a k101. And interact with producers often.

The makers of the k101 has released a new firmware!

You need to, I can download!
My Hocoslamfy high score is 40. I Love My Gcw Zero

strider_mt2k

• Dingoo Scene-Voice of the Dingoo Revolution!
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 03:08:08 pm »
This is a great little handheld since the FW update.

I absolutely love how fast it starts up. I can be playing one of my old favorites in moments which is great for filling in some time here and there.

Screen quality is great and the build quality is too. Really no complaints now that game saves work.
It looks like the company that sells them is only doing large orders now which is a bummer.
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4
Toshiba Excite 10 AT300
Ouya!

lordhardware

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 12:53:16 pm »
Does anyone know the minimum or alternative places to buy? Would be interested if anyone wants to do a group buy.

AVahne

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 04:08:31 am »
Bought this back when they were selling them themselves. Got a broken unit in the mail. Sent it back to them for a new unit, but they said they never got it. By then they said they wouldn't be able send me a replacement anyway since they "ran out". They then offered to give me a refund, and I'm still waiting for it.
Still.
Waiting.
It's been FOUR months.
They no longer respond to my e-mails, either.

Honestly, if you want to play GBA carts, it's better to get a used GBA SP/Micro or DS/Lite.

lordhardware

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 12:31:15 pm »
So just wanted to bump and say I just looked at the site and they've both got pre orders open for new stock and at a lower price.

I hate preorders but this is at least news.

ace9094

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 07:28:53 pm »
I bought one of these for ?35... a terrible machine.... Do not waste your money....  Battery is rubbish, screen is rubbish also... :)  You have been warned !
Dingoo x2, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, PSP Go, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

zhongtiao1

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 09:14:34 pm »
I bought one of these for ?35... a terrible machine.... Do not waste your money....  Battery is rubbish, screen is rubbish also... :)  You have been warned !

Can it play bootleg GBA carts?