Author Topic: New opensource console announced---The RG  (Read 119526 times)

qbertaddict

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
Re: New opensource console announced---The RG
« Reply #165 on: December 09, 2011, 05:21:32 pm »
Re the analog stick, judging from the pics you took of the insides, it does actually look like an analog stick. Maybe it just hasn't been utilised in software or perhaps they never finished hooking it up properly in hardware?

On the bottom of the console, what's that small hole for, the one to the left of the SD slot? Emergency eject?

It is the microphone. Sorry I missed that in the review.

How are the built in speakers? Sound okay, do they get muffled being on the back of the unit?

They are fine i have not notice muffle or sound distortion

Do you have the WiFi version, if so, it would be great to hear what that side of things is like.

Wifi works fine. I was able to connect to my phone tether and my home network. Both user wpa2 security

Lastly, how easy is it to wipe whatever OS is on there, start fresh, and install your own apps? I know you have a video up, but Android is foreign to me so a lot of it went over my head.

Well you dont have to do a factory install if the handheld is rooted you can just use titanium backup to uninstall them. The recovery is just what it says if you messup it recovers by formating and wiping the data. It brings it back to stock.

qbertaddict

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #166 on: December 09, 2011, 05:35:50 pm »
@qbertaddict
can you check if there is /proc/config.gz file?
It's kernrel config,  /proc can be accessed via ES File Explorer or Total Commander- both with root access.
Kernel config would help a lot with kernel porting

Here it is:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PLW0EYZ3

BAFelton

• Open Consoles
« Reply #167 on: December 09, 2011, 05:46:31 pm »
In the specs there is this :

Instructions
Support
Operation System

Windows98/SE/ME/2K/XP

Does that mean we can install Windows CE on it or something ?

jagotu

• * Former Staff
« Reply #168 on: December 09, 2011, 05:53:18 pm »
It means these system can handle it through USB.
Sorry guys for not caring about dingoonity lately. It was nice to be with you, and maybe I'll come back, but not now...

xHR

« Reply #169 on: December 09, 2011, 11:17:38 pm »
Hi there! I talk to manufacturer of this awesome device and found something new
1. Emulators that installed by default, modefied especially to work with hard buttons and a manufacturer does not promise that buttons will work when emulators will be updated, however, assures that android games will work as planned
2. During 2-3 months, thay promised 2.3

Ask questions that I can overrides its authors of this miracle

Rosenkranz

« Reply #170 on: December 10, 2011, 12:21:36 am »
Can you ask them about the Analog stick? Is it real or is it connected to Dpad?

qbertaddict

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #172 on: December 10, 2011, 07:13:09 am »
Hi there! I talk to manufacturer of this awesome device and found something new
1. Emulators that installed by default, modefied especially to work with hard buttons and a manufacturer does not promise that buttons will work when emulators will be updated, however, assures that android games will work as planned
2. During 2-3 months, thay promised 2.3

Ask questions that I can overrides its authors of this miracle
Well all emulators new or old work with special button mappings you just have to do it manually but not all android games work correctly because the screen does not support more than 1 touch action at a time. A lot of the games do work when using a buton and touch combo. Android 2.3 will be great

xHR

« Reply #173 on: December 10, 2011, 07:18:47 am »
I asked =)
Q: Is there truly analog stick, or just a piece of plastick, that maps on d-pad? Is analog stick works the same as d-pad?
A: analog stick  works...
I dont know what exactly they means with they answer..

Also, еун promised to update emualtors.

qbertaddict

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #174 on: December 10, 2011, 07:23:27 am »
I asked =)
Q: Is there truly analog stick, or just a piece of plastick, that maps on d-pad? Is analog stick works the same as d-pad?
A: analog stick  works...
I dont know what exactly they means with they answer..

Also, еун promised to update emualtors.

Let em know yeah it works but its not analog  ;) An update of their emulators might be nice!

xHR

« Reply #175 on: December 10, 2011, 07:28:37 am »
Well all emulators new or old work with special button mappings you just have to do it manually but not all android games work correctly because the screen does not support more than 1 touch action at a time. A lot of the games do work when using a buton and touch combo.
Did U tesst some heavy games, for ex NOVA2 or SHADOWGUN?

darth_llamah

« Reply #176 on: December 10, 2011, 02:07:53 pm »
Some info I got from kernel config:
-hadrware is most likey based on rev B Amlogic reference board (machine is MACH_MESON_8726M_REFB602)
-analogue stick seems to be a real analogue (CONFIG_ADC_KEYPADS_AM=y, ADC- Analogue to Digital Converter/Conversion), how system and apps handle this kind of input is a different thing
-kernel has Bluetooth support enabled (CONFIG_BT=y), which doesn't mean that  BT hardware is enabled
-there is TV-in enabled (CONFIG_TVIN_BT656IN=y)-  this may camera interface (since # CONFIG_AMLOGIC_CAMERA_ENABLE is not set)
Except for the keys there shouldn't be any serious problem with creating a custom kernel, all other drivers are provided in Amlogic sources or are commonly used :)

Elta

« Reply #177 on: December 10, 2011, 02:43:39 pm »
Oh that's awesome.... Do that mean we might get some delicious ice cream sandwich eventually ?

darth_llamah

« Reply #178 on: December 10, 2011, 02:48:36 pm »
Oh that's awesome.... Do that mean we might get some delicious ice cream sandwich eventually ?
That means making a custom kernel (read: updated sources, updated drivers, bugs fixed etc) and rom shouldn't be too hard.
As for ICS- comparing to Gingerbread there are some major changes in system (mostly graphics and camera) and I don't know if there are proper drivers avaiable- Gingerbread ones require some hacking to make them work in ICS

BAFelton

• Open Consoles
« Reply #179 on: December 10, 2011, 07:58:37 pm »
Qbert : do you have some problems sometimes with the launcher. The process interrupts and you have to stop it.

It happens quite often for me, not only for the launcher though. For some apks too and quite randomly.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 08:02:05 pm by BAFelton »

Post a new topic
Post a new topic