Author Topic: New console Android Gamer  (Read 99313 times)

kswildside

Re: New console in prototype stage
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2010, 08:44:46 pm »
I'm leaning towards this case Mian chip sunplus spmp8010 SPMP8016 also known as SK8738

quartercast

« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2010, 09:15:49 pm »
Sunkong make a lot of kinds of "PSP-KOs" and PMPs that's doesn't look like a PSP. I'm sure they have a case where the board fit.

Great find BonesCollector! I do like SK8738 as well. It's got the nub, d-pad and gaming and shoulder butttons. Looks like there's extra bezel space around the 3.5" screen, maybe your 4" screen might even fit DDU :)

http://suncomdigital.com/cn/show.asp?id=180&type=&type_son=&pageno=1

Edit:
You could go with a PSP-GO style case w/ nub & 4.3" screen capacity.

http://www.dhgate.com/new-arrival-2gb-4-3inches-screen-go-games/p-ff80808113b914310113b986020f6705.html

Or you could take the bottom part of a DSiLL case, which also has a 4" screen :)
http://www.excheap.com/product_info.php?products_id=4564
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 09:53:19 pm by quartercast »

RodrigoCard

• Mac Joystick Apps
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2010, 10:02:24 pm »
Sunkong make a lot of kinds of "PSP-KOs" and PMPs that's doesn't look like a PSP. I'm sure they have a case where the board fit.

Great find BonesCollector! I do like SK8738 as well. It's got the nub, d-pad and gaming and shoulder butttons. Looks like there's extra bezel space around the 3.5" screen, maybe your 4" screen might even fit DDU :)

http://suncomdigital.com/cn/show.asp?id=180&type=&type_son=&pageno=1

Edit:
You could go with a PSP-GO style case w/ nub & 4.3" screen capacity.

http://www.dhgate.com/new-arrival-2gb-4-3inches-screen-go-games/p-ff80808113b914310113b986020f6705.html

Or you could take the bottom part of a DSiLL case, which also has a 4" screen :)
http://www.excheap.com/product_info.php?products_id=4564

This case is really nice! Hope it fits :)

BonesCollector

« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2010, 11:44:47 pm »
I'm leaning towards this case Mian chip sunplus spmp8010 SPMP8016 also known as SK8738

SK8738 look great  ;D . Sunkong use the same board in many kind of case. Your board can be fit.

flaming_goat

« Reply #104 on: November 25, 2010, 12:46:36 am »
Only one of these has a proper dpad though. Are u sure u cant have a full size usb so a wifi dongle could be fitted without a trailing cable. (or have wifi inside. surely wifi chips are realy cheap considering the price of dongles)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 12:49:53 am by flaming_goat »

blopa

« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2010, 06:10:35 am »
SK8738 looks awesome!! Keep this one. It's great!!
And it have both d-pad and analog. =)

Do you have a final answer for the wifi and the dingux as native OS?
And 128mb of RAM too :D (PSX and N64 *-*)
Regards

kswildside

« Reply #106 on: November 25, 2010, 06:50:52 am »
Nothing on the wifi as for a different connector for USB OTG then we would need to modify each and every case for the Type A-connector that could become costly and a pain.

As for the 128MB the memory is not really the issue it's the processor and I don't see a 32Bit processor emulating a 64Bit processor for 64Bit as that would be double emulation one emulating the N64 and emulating the 64bit processor. I really doubt N64 will be possible but PSX is possible.

sightlight

« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2010, 04:37:51 pm »
Are final specs or "so far specs" available?

I like all the specs in the first post. I'd really like to see N64 emulation, but if that is a negative i guess its ok.
Also, what programing language does Dingux use/understands?
Graphics adapter has 3D acceleration? GPU Memory/RAM?
What keyboard & Mouse we will be using?  +wireless+ going to be bluetooth or wifi?

I see this project with a lot of potential. I would like to help somehow.

edit: is there an SDK for dingux? im doing research but cant find stuff.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 05:02:40 pm by sightlight »

zear

« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2010, 05:35:44 pm »
Also, what programing language does Dingux use/understands?
Dingux is nothing less but a Linux distribution, so you can program for it like for a desktop Linux.
So far we have C/C++ and Python support, but support for other languages could be easily added as long as the compilers can cross-compile, or the interpreters can be compiled for the Linux MIPS platform.
edit: is there an SDK for dingux? im doing research but cant find stuff.
Yep. You can get the toolchain for x86 Linux here: http://code.google.com/p/dingoo-linux/downloads/list
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 05:43:19 pm by zear »

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #109 on: November 25, 2010, 06:25:34 pm »
Nothing on the wifi as for a different connector for USB OTG then we would need to modify each and every case for the Type A-connector that could become costly and a pain.

As for the 128MB the memory is not really the issue it's the processor and I don't see a 32Bit processor emulating a 64Bit processor for 64Bit as that would be double emulation one emulating the N64 and emulating the 64bit processor. I really doubt N64 will be possible but PSX is possible.

Most PCs have 32-bit CPUs...

Please, don't tell that "PSX is possible", as you cannot assure that it will be made...
Furthermore, the A320 has enough RAM for PSX emulation. Moving from 32MB to 128MB wouldn't make it faster in any case.
N64 emulation would require 128MB RAM, however then the CPU won't be fast enough.

sightlight

« Reply #110 on: November 25, 2010, 07:11:38 pm »

Most PCs have 32-bit CPUs...

Please, don't tell that "PSX is possible", as you cannot assure that it will be made...
Furthermore, the A320 has enough RAM for PSX emulation. Moving from 32MB to 128MB wouldn't make it faster in any case.
N64 emulation would require 128MB RAM, however then the CPU won't be fast enough.

Hey Ayla, why the CPU wont be fast enough for N64?  Its dual core'd so the architecture must be more robust and advance, not to mention that the second core has capability to work as a GPU. (VPU)
I think that aslong as the N64 emulator is well and accurately coded it can be possible without doubt.
That is what has happened with the PSP. People were like "n64 in psp wont be posible no matter what" and now the "no-sayers" are no more lol....funny story.. anyways i can be wrong..

Ikonz101

« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2010, 01:11:53 am »
Any projected release date DDU?

Ikonz101

sightlight

« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2010, 02:43:05 am »
Release date is  currently unknown at the moment. DDU asures to have the final proto-type by Dec. 15 thought. Yes, this project is in the "very" early stages so i wouldn't start talking about a release date yet.. DDU can however, he is the one managing all of this.

Hellblaze

« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2010, 03:44:19 am »
Hey Ayla, why the CPU wont be fast enough for N64?  Its dual core'd so the architecture must be more robust and advance, not to mention that the second core has capability to work as a GPU. (VPU)
I think that aslong as the N64 emulator is well and accurately coded it can be possible without doubt.
That is what has happened with the PSP. People were like "n64 in psp wont be posible no matter what" and now the "no-sayers" are no more lol....funny story.. anyways i can be wrong..

I wouldn't get your hopes up.

N64 Emulation on PSP isn't perfect by any means and even on a device as powerful as the Pandora it's still in the hit or miss stages:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZdi-l1Qxho

sightlight

« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2010, 03:47:11 am »
Yes i understand. I was just saying.

« Reply #115 on: November 26, 2010, 04:35:05 am »
Even the best, most mature N64 emulators on PC are still unsatisfactory in my opinion (for the games I've tried). So I certainly don't expect anything from a handheld device such as this.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 04:49:38 am by Jesse »

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #116 on: November 26, 2010, 07:12:56 am »

You are wrong on two points.

First, it is not "dual-core" (DDU should have never said that...). Unlike a PC, it won't just run out of the box, which means that each app will have to be programmed to use it. Which means that a port of a PSX emu won't make use of it, because it has to be designed with that architecture from the beginning.

Furthermore, where did you read that the VPU has GPU capabilities? We won't be able to use it as a GPU. It is primarly useful for video decoding.

Also, did you know that N64 was made on dreamcast? Just like it was made on PSP, and just like it could be made on dingoo. But it is so slow that it is pointless to even start.

protomank

• Rockbot Game Engine
« Reply #117 on: November 26, 2010, 09:30:52 am »
Let me correct you: in the PC also, you have to write an app specialy for multi-core, otherwise it won't benefit.
The diference is that the operating systems, in the PC, divide the processes of diferent programs between the multiple cores to balance it, and, as the PC have a LOT of programs running at once, it can benefit by dividing the cores between those apps.

In a enbeded system, that runs very few applications at once - Dingux, for example, even closes the gmenu when you open an app, to lower cpu and memory usage, there are no big advantages at start. But as systems that run on mobile becomes more complex, like Android for instance, and have more apps running at same time, using multiple cores make more sense.

So, to resume, if you want ONE APP to take advantage of multiple cores, you have to write it with some sorte of multi-core library, such as the classic MPI, no matter if in the PC or in a small ARM device.
Rockbot Lead game designer.

mth

« Reply #118 on: November 26, 2010, 10:32:48 am »
The VPU has its own very small local memory and is not connected to main RAM. It is a lot more like the PS3's SPU than like the second core in a Core2 Duo. So just adding threads to your program won't work, you have to specifically code for the VPU.

If we get the 800x480 screen, a good use of the VPU would be to scale up 320x240 games to 640x480 using user-selectable scalers (mosaic, Scale2x, SaI, hq2x). The remaining pixels could be used for showing the time and the battery status, similar to the iPhone status bar. The IPU can also do scaling, but not advanced algorithms; it might use less energy than the VPU though.

PSX emulation is technically possible on the A320, but very few games run at an acceptable frame rate. It might be possible to move the texture mapping to the VPU, depending on how large that routine is and how much data it needs. If the connection to the LCD is 24 bits wide (I think so, but unverified), the framebuffer can be 32bpp and the renderer would not have to pack the pixels into 16bpp, which also saves time. So there are certainly ways to optimize PSX emulation, but it is far from certain how many games can get playable frame rates (and what is playable: 20? 15? 10?). And it depends on someone actually programming this.

sightlight

« Reply #119 on: November 26, 2010, 11:40:31 am »
You are wrong on two points.

First, it is not "dual-core" (DDU should have never said that...). Unlike a PC, it won't just run out of the box, which means that each app will have to be programmed to use it. Which means that a port of a PSX emu won't make use of it, because it has to be designed with that architecture from the beginning.

Im sorry. I thought it was Dual core'd. :(

PSX emulation is technically possible on the A320, but very few games run at an acceptable frame rate. It might be possible to move the texture mapping to the VPU, depending on how large that routine is and how much data it needs. If the connection to the LCD is 24 bits wide (I think so, but unverified), the framebuffer can be 32bpp and the renderer would not have to pack the pixels into 16bpp, which also saves time. So there are certainly ways to optimize PSX emulation, but it is far from certain how many games can get playable frame rates (and what is playable: 20? 15? 10?). And it depends on someone actually programming this.

Yeah. It depends how it coded. The efficiency.