Author Topic: New console Android Gamer  (Read 99303 times)

lemmywinks

Re: New console in prototype stage
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2010, 03:13:31 pm »
RE the PSP case thing, it's two things for me:

Ugly  - I don't want to buy an ugly knock-off design, it looks cheap
Bulky - The A320 is nice and compact, exactly how a handheld should be. PSP is something you put in a rucksack, not a pocket.

The link a few posts up was a cool original, if unimaginitive, design. Something like that would be great.
I guess it's personal taste but the majority of posts are quite negative about the PSP case, call it free market research, albeit a little late in the day!

I really like the design of the A320 case, it's understated and well executed whilst being obviously cheap. Not exactly original (very reminiscent of the bottom half of a DSL) but doesn't look like any other PMP or console
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
HP Envy M6, Acer 522, Dell Mini 9
Psion 5 & 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

Shred

• * Former Staff
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2010, 03:38:53 pm »
Cheap looks on a $80 handheld?  Oh wait.....

Personally I think the Dingoo A320 case is too small. The square corners bite into your palms during extended play sessions.

Westerners generally have larger hands than Asians do. There isn't really gonna be a happy medium with a case that fits everybody's hands snugly, it's either going to be too small or too big. *shrugs*

Performance and ergonomics are far more important than aesthetics, especially when it comes to a device that only costs in the region of $80. Something has got to give. You people can't have everything and the kitchen sink for something that cheap.

Well constructed controls and buttons, coupled with a nice size screen and an ergonomic case is what I'm concerned about. If it looks like a cheap PSP clone then so be it.

I'd argue that the majority of Retro gamers are in their 30's. So for most of us, our eyesight isn't what it used to be. ;D So a screen size of 3.5" - 4" is paramount for a handheld console. Pretty much any handheld with a screen that big is inevitably going to end up looking similar to a PSP.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 05:34:45 pm by Shred »

kswildside

« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2010, 03:52:26 pm »
Question the current case is a PSP Clone how many would buy it this way and wait for use to design a better case with proceeds and more upgrades in a 4760 model about 9 months from now....

obscurehandhelds

• Obscure Handhelds
« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2010, 03:57:28 pm »
i wouldn't buy it in a PSP case.
and incremental upgrades are shit, don't do that.

Minexew

« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2010, 04:20:33 pm »
incremental upgrades are shit
pls explain :o

obscurehandhelds

• Obscure Handhelds
« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2010, 04:25:18 pm »
incremental upgrades are shit
pls explain :o

you want to spend another $90 for a few extra mhz and a case that isn't shit?
better to just do it right first time instead.

kswildside

« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2010, 04:56:05 pm »
Case is only hurdle i have come up too now the usb host and better lcd screen with res of 800x480 for better scaling are hurdles i can get done but the 5K for a new case os only hurdle i can't jump right now. So then the new hunt begins finding a case already made that will work that won't drive up costs

TheCaffeinator

« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2010, 04:59:16 pm »
I also don't understand why so many are against the idea of a PSP-like casing. IMHO, it's a good design in general. I don't find it ugly -- rather, I think it's kind of high-tech looking. As well, it is far more ergonomic than the A320 case. The fact that the PSP-like casing would be bigger than the A320 is a good thing, since you need more room to adequately space the additional control(s?) and to implement better shoulder buttons and to avoid problems stemming from cramming the guts into a tiny case.

Although it is nice and basic and looks elegantly simple in black, the A320 case is not very user friendly. While it's truly amazing that so much has been packed into such a small package, that package is actually just a bit too small. I'm an average-sized North American guy, including my hands, and the size and shape of the A320 result in discomfort after long gaming sessions. Also, the small size of the A320 "invites" you to carry it in your pocket, which is really a recipe for disaster since the things are so damn fragile; I keep mine in a carrying case four times the size of the A320 itself. The shoulder buttons are absolute crap, and I'm not sure they could be improved upon while retaining the same size/style case. Anybody know what the quality of the GameBoy Micro shoulder buttons was?

Unless I'm missing something, I'm seeing basically three objections to the PSP-like case:

1) It's ugly. Well...I just don't agree with that at all (as noted above) and find it a subjective thing, anyway.

2) It looks like a PSP. So what? Are you worried that people will think you are playing a PSP? It's a very superficial resemblance, and, in the case of the A330 implementation, the size difference alone makes it kind of obvious that it isn't a PSP. If someone actually asks you, "Hey...is that a PSP?" you get to explain to them how much cooler than a PSP your handheld actually is. And if no one asks...well...we're back to "So what?"

3) The A330 implementation of a PSP-like case sucked. Yes, it did. It truly did. Speaker placement was not good, shoulder button hardware was not the improvement it could have been, etc. So does this mean the concept is bad? No. It just means we have a bad example to learn from.

Personally, I'm not as concerned about what the case looks like as I am about the overall build quality of the unit. Having it look like a PSP wouldn't prevent me from buying it; what would prevent me from buying it would be poorly designed and built controls (especially the shoulder buttons), a case that's so small that it barely contains the innards (resulting in pressure waves on the screen and other internal issues), and other such problems.

If the choice of case design depends on the majority and if DDU considers the voice of this forum to be representative of its target market, then we probably won't see a PSP-like design. Whatever. Ultimately, what really matters is what's inside and how effective the controls (regarldess of the case they are mounted on) are at letting us access and manipulate what's inside.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 05:14:16 pm by TheCaffeinator »

tintami

« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2010, 05:15:06 pm »
The three big problems with Chinese PMPs are:

1) Badly built cases that are clones of other consoles and which have unresponsive buttons and/or dpad.

2) Sod all hardware support - make it and then move on to the next one.

3) Sod all software support - no updates or bug fixes, again just making it then moving on.

These are not gigantic issues to overcome but Chinese manufacturers just don't seem to understand. A westerner (dingoo-digital-usa) getting involved is a huge opportunity to get past the minor points above and to produce a hugely successful cheap little handheld.

However, releasing something in a PSP clone case that will be superseded by something in a better case with better spec in a few months is falling foul of the exact same problems everyone else does. I'm not saying DDUSA should do a Pandora and bite off more than he can chew but the aim should at least to be to produce something that overcomes the minor points above.

john

freakrocker

« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2010, 06:57:56 pm »
i understand that holidays are coming and u definetly dont wanna miss that huge selling oportunity but also consider the fact that if you do it right from the beggining like they did with the original dingoo u will be selling it for ages not just for a few months...

my advice is to try to go with ur own case...a simple one but comfortable to use...also...consider the materials...u dont wanna drop it and break it in 100 pieces...

« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2010, 07:03:27 pm »
Oh no, the case is a rectangle with it's corners indented and it's sides rounded! And we all know only the PSP should ever be allowed to do such a thing. Me complain! Me no buy! Duuuuuuuuhrrrr, a-derp-aduhr. Me dumb.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 07:06:05 pm by Jesse »

Minexew

« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2010, 07:44:48 pm »
i understand that holidays are coming and u definetly dont wanna miss that huge selling oportunity but also consider the fact that if you do it right from the beggining like they did with the original dingoo u will be selling it for ages not just for a few months...

my advice is to try to go with ur own case...a simple one but comfortable to use...also...consider the materials...u dont wanna drop it and break it in 100 pieces...

That's a +1 from me. It doesn't seem like a good idea to release it now, when the GA330 is coming anyway and many people would prefer the Gemei. On the other hand, if you tune your Anonymous Console (TM) up, get some cool case for it, add a killer feature (BT/WiFi) and release it maybe half a year from now (?), you could offer a decent alternative or even beat the GA330 itself.

quartercast

« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2010, 08:16:18 pm »
I say go with the PSP style case, you know it'll work and you have a lot more choice amongst all the knock-off cases. Whatever you do, don't use a split d-pad!

I don't see the problem with using similar designs, the dingoo looks like a GB micro and the Letcool looks like half a DSL.

kswildside

« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2010, 08:51:11 pm »
It will have a d-pad like the dingoo and nub like a psp

flatmush

« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2010, 09:05:16 pm »
Just for reference, how many of you tried the PSP style case from the Dingoo Tech A330?

I hated the idea at first, but it's one of the few redeeming features of the A330, the case was much more comfortable to hold than the Dingoo and it made the shoulder buttons better placed. It also felt more sturdy in your pocket and fit better in my hands.

I don't think the PSP case is bad at all, but you'd have to make sure using it doesn't cause the same other issues that it did on the A330, like squashing the LCD or the buttons that didn't press properly.

kswildside

« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2010, 09:09:52 pm »
The current buttons are fine so is the nub the only issue is the D-pad which is being changed to dingoo d-pad

Leftyright

« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2010, 02:27:56 pm »
DDU, you should do what YOU want. The PSP case isn't that much of a big deal. The odd LCD resolution was the achilles heal and perhaps the battery size and you're rectifying those. Go with a decent PSP clone covering and advertise the hell out of it having dingux and a better 4" screen. That will separate it from all the others out there and it overall will be a far better machine than the Wiz, Caanoo, Dingoo, Gemei, and all the PSP crap clones. Raise the price to just less than $100 to cover the extra improvements. Keep it one color: non-glossy black.

I'm sure those that don't like the PSP case will find something else they don't like about it and not buy it anyways so you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Choose do instead or you'll never get off the ground.

I and many others will buy it though.

kswildside

« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2010, 06:33:52 pm »
More progress

We are going to go with a 4.0 LCD 800x480 res

The Dingoo D-Pad

USB OTG but will require adapter cable like wiz does

The case that is a hurdle but one I can't afford to jump nor can they makers currently it will cost us close to 15K just to get molds made for a new case when we can use a pre-existing psp case... If anyone can find a case that doesn't look like a psp but fit the board let me know.

BonesCollector

« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 11:35:17 pm by BonesCollector »

1wiierdguy

« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2010, 08:15:02 pm »
 If it's a psp case so be it. Would of preferred something else but it's not a deal breaker. With the GA330 just released, and a new Jxd3000 announced that does psx Emulation with sound, your facing some stiff competition. Running Dingux and being opensource from the off gives you an advantage however.You really need to push that feature.