Author Topic: New console Android Gamer  (Read 95379 times)

sightlight

Re: New console in prototype stage
« Reply #195 on: December 04, 2010, 04:46:38 pm »
here is what i would like to see.  50% Credit to 'hi-ban'
dont forget the "earphone jack/headphone jack" at the bottom.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 04:51:17 pm by sightlight »

lemmywinks

« Reply #196 on: December 04, 2010, 04:55:13 pm »
I like it, will there be some confirmation about it's capabilities in time to pre order? I mean like videos of emulation etc.

If it runs Castlevania SOTN, Silent Hill, Ridge Racer and GT on PSX then i'm having one

Also if the touchscreen is decent then Quake should be ae on this, i loved it on DS
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go
PC:
HP Envy M6
Acer 522
Psion 5 & 5MX

sightlight

« Reply #197 on: December 04, 2010, 04:59:02 pm »
this could use my Nintendo DS stylus!! ahahahah!

edit: this console needs a name!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 05:05:04 pm by sightlight »

mistermano

« Reply #198 on: December 04, 2010, 05:57:50 pm »
Here are some new pics of second proto-type:

http://yfrog.com/7020101202248j

http://yfrog.com/0i20101202249j
the buttons seem to be really far one from another. I personally would prefer a single cross D-pad, much like nintendo uses

Also, seems that the case is a bit "tall", too much free space on top and under the screen. By the way, I noticed there's a start, select and an extra button in the same format. What is it for?

The only problem with such casing are shoulder buttons. Hell, i'd go as far as to suggest to use a SNES controller as basis for the casing. I mean, most console controllers are great, so I've always wondered, why not just slap a screen on it and call it a handheld?

http://inmyexperience.com/archives/images/snes_controller.gif

Here is how it could probably look like, more or less
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 06:00:14 pm by mistermano »

TheCaffeinator

« Reply #199 on: December 04, 2010, 06:10:15 pm »
I've seen some mods out there (which of course, might not even be real) which do exactly that.

Of course, you can argue that that is pretty much what Nintendo did with the original Game Boy Advance, minus a few buttons.

I can't stand those flat little shoulder buttons on the A320 and so many other cheap handhelds. Examples are out there of shoulder buttons done better (GBA, PSP), but manufacturers of these things don't seem to care. I guess everybody wants "cheap" rather than reliable and effective. As far as case design goes, it'd be nice to start with a controller design as a case -- a proven, ergonomic, comfortable design that has the needed number of buttons right where they all shoud be -- and then find a way to fit the screen and innards into it. But then so many would complain that it doesn't fit easily in a pocket, which is a bad thing to do with most of these things anyway.

I just want something with software that works well and hardware that lasts for more than a year. My original Game Boy lasted for 20 years. In fact, I'm willing to bet that the only problem with it now is a loose wire somewhere. But those were simpler times with simpler devices.

I have this sinking feeling that I'm just going to end up using my three A320s until they all die and then get a used PSP. :/
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 06:26:23 pm by TheCaffeinator »

zear

« Reply #200 on: December 04, 2010, 07:12:02 pm »

The start/select buttons placement is perfect here. They can be accessed at the same time you operate with A/B/X/Y buttons, so you can map them for stuff like weapon switching, etc, while the button above d-pad could work as regular menu.

As for this one:

the start/select buttons are at the bottom and can't be comfortably used for any in-game controls other than menu/pause as you can't easily press them.

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #201 on: December 04, 2010, 08:18:39 pm »
Yep, I also like the placement of the buttons.

On the pictures it looks huge, how big is it versus the a320?

Minexew

« Reply #202 on: December 04, 2010, 08:24:16 pm »
It's definitely better than a PSP knockoff, but there's still room to improve. I tried to put together the main drawbacks as seen by me and others:
  • Select/Start buttons should be on the bottom - no reason to move them to the top, nobody expects them there, it's not comfortable and it looks weird
  • Thinner border above & below the display - this way it looks kinda ugly
  • Bigger A, B, X, Y buttons - they seem unreasonably small to me
  • I can't see L/R buttons in the picture - what's wrong?

Shred

• * Former Staff
« Reply #203 on: December 04, 2010, 10:27:51 pm »
We have decided because of the uproar we will go with 3.5 to 4.0 320x240 Touchscreen LCD

3. Reasons for the touch screen alot of apps would benefit from it as it could be used to scrolling and selecting in documents and WebPages and some flash games could be playable at that point.

I don't get the idea behind a Touchscreen using a 320 x 240 resolution. I appreciate the reasoning behind the 320 x 240 res in terms of emulation / gaming but surely this would be awful for navigating / browsing webpages using such a low res? If you want to browse then you should use a Tablet or Mobile phone.

I have a touchscreen on my Wiz and I must admit I rarely use it, if at all. (Flash games are too casual and suck generally)
Personally I feel touchscreens are too gimmicky for use on a retro handheld. Sure they can be used for retro computer games such as Scumm VM / Heroes of Might and Magic / Warcraft 1 / Homebrew type games, but not a lot else.

Bear in mind, the average kid did most of his gaming on consoles back in the 8/16/32-bit era, this was because computers were very expensive 15-25 years ago. Therefore the priority for this handheld should be on Console / Arcade emulation to maximise sales from retro gamers.

Touchscreen and Camera aren't needed in a retro gaming handheld. WiFi is also redundant if you have powered USB host. All these luxury features will only drive up the overall cost of the product and hurt sales driven by 'impulse' buys.
I'd rather remove all the fluff to focus on a good CPU, a nice screen, decent build quality, D-pad and an analogue nub.

I'm willing to wager that the major selling point of the Dingoo A320 was purely the PRICE. How many of you bought a Dingoo simply because it was cheap?

kswildside

« Reply #204 on: December 04, 2010, 11:04:45 pm »

Here is my idea of the case... Credit to sightlight and hi-ban for original work they did
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 11:07:52 pm by dingoo-digital-usa »

retrogamer

« Reply #205 on: December 04, 2010, 11:12:57 pm »
I think this is a great project and I am definitely interested. There was only 2 things that held the dingoo a320 back from being the most ideal system for me. Screen size and a lack of psx emulation. If someone can give me a dingoo like machine with those 2 aspects, I am pretty good to go.

I am not going to be overly critical because I really like the project and am certainly interested in purchasing one. But I would be willing to pay a bit more if we could get a system more likely capable of playing psx. I think the majority will want this for strictly gaming, I personally see no reason to have a cam or touchscreen, but maybe others have more use for it then me.

What I really want is a compact player with a 3.5 to 4 inch screen that can emulate as good or a bit better then the dingoo a320 with dingux, and possible psx emulation would make it a lock. I actually like the size of the unit, gives my hands more to hold onto.

I have owned the dingoo a320, the caanoo, and I currently own a letcool. I think the letcool has the best shape, size, d-pad, and buttons of them all. But it cant touch the dingoo or modded psp in regards to emulation ability. But I love the look and feel of the unit.

I plan to wait and see how this system develops before purchasing anything else, because it sounds like this system will potentially fill all my wants and needs.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 11:53:29 pm by retrogamer »

retrogamer

« Reply #206 on: December 04, 2010, 11:30:20 pm »

Here is my idea of the case... Credit to sightlight and hi-ban for original work they did

I really like this design. The thing I hated the most about the psp is the lack of area to hold the system below the joystick nub. I find it awkward for prolonged play especially since I have long fingers, but I may be alone in this issue. But I guess it needs to be compact for gaming on the go. Overall it looks good and that is the design I would go for.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 11:31:58 pm by retrogamer »

blastyrant

« Reply #207 on: December 05, 2010, 12:36:39 am »
i would like to see anything like a power cord or ear phone jack placed on the top. i hated the side placement of the ear phonejack on the dingoo, it always hit my hand. when they are on the bottom they tend to get in the way, i think of the dreamcast controller with its bottom placed power cord.

keep up the good work!

lemmywinks

« Reply #208 on: December 05, 2010, 12:47:14 am »
I don't get the idea behind a Touchscreen using a 320 x 240 resolution. I appreciate the reasoning behind the 320 x 240 res in terms of emulation / gaming but surely this would be awful for navigating / browsing webpages using such a low res? If you want to browse then you should use a Tablet or Mobile phone.

I have a touchscreen on my Wiz and I must admit I rarely use it, if at all. (Flash games are too casual and suck generally)
Personally I feel touchscreens are too gimmicky for use on a retro handheld. Sure they can be used for retro computer games such as Scumm VM / Heroes of Might and Magic / Warcraft 1 / Homebrew type games, but not a lot else.

It can be used for the ports on Dingux. Touchscreen (with a stylus) is great for fps games, it really works on the DS and that only has 256 x 192. The COD, Dementium and Quake port on DS work really well, second only to mouse and keys IMO. Imagine if someone ported HalfLife or Deus Ex to Dingux!

It might not be ideal for navigation, highlighting text but it's better than dpad i suppose. If it doesn't push the price up too much then it might be useful, tbh i could do without it i think.

As it stands this is the same price as an A320 if you factor in shipping charges (i'm in the UK) so could be a winner
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go
PC:
HP Envy M6
Acer 522
Psion 5 & 5MX

Shred

• * Former Staff
« Reply #209 on: December 05, 2010, 01:15:23 am »
It can be used for the ports on Dingux. Touchscreen (with a stylus) is great for fps games, it really works on the DS and that only has 256 x 192. The COD, Dementium and Quake port on DS work really well, second only to mouse and keys IMO. Imagine if someone ported HalfLife or Deus Ex to Dingux!

I think you're comparing Apples to Oranges. The reason the Nintendo DS works so well with a touchscreen is because of its dual-screen setup.

On a single screen handheld, a stylus, finger or whatever is going to obscure some of the screen while you're playing. This could be fatal when playing a FPS game. Thus it's more suited to slower paced games such as casual flash or RTS games, not twitch based shooters.

Post a new topic