Author Topic: Handheld Collections  (Read 40376 times)

fenixt (OP)

Handheld Collections
« on: September 12, 2012, 08:16:52 pm »
Thought I'd start a thread on handheld collections. I'm mostly into GBA handhelds (mainly because of it's awesome game library). And I love the GBA hardware.

I thought the Dingoo would be my end all of handhelds, being able to play so many consoles on one machine seemed great. But the tweaky speakers, bad placement of shoulder buttons, and the fact that my right hand thumb hurts after 5 mins of play, and the not so great screen, it's been sitting in the box after the honeymoon phase.

So I started looking for some way to play lots of games on the GBA. I found the EZ Flash IV. It plays GB, GBC, and NES with emulation. And plays GBA natively. GBA games play full speed. It takes up to 2gb memory (MiniSD or MicroSD with adapter). I've about 100 of tip top GBA games on it and still have half the memory left.

Been thinking of getting a DS Lite, but not that many games interest me enough for it.

Anyway, pics!

Dingoo is on bottom left.
Top left is an AGS-101 Graphite SP.
Top right is an AGS-001 Onyx SP (has new shell I put on it, was originally blue).
Bottom right is my black on black Mint Gameboy Micro. I like it a lot, the screen is awesome (more than SP, and way more than Dingoo's). Don't play it as much, trying to keep it mint.

And finally my baby:

This is a Gameboy Advance SP Classic NES Edition. With a little upgrade  ;). This one came with the front lit screen (AGS-001), before Nintendo gave the SP a back lit screen (AGS-101). You can see the difference between the screens here. I love the looks of this thing, and it's really detailed. Even the B/A buttons are red!

Even though the GBA has only one speaker, the sound coming from it blows the Dingoo out the water. But I don't like that it doesn't have a proper headphone port on it, so I need to pick up an adapter sometime.

I found a donor 101 (really jacked up body), and put the internals of that into my NES Edition. So now I have a Classic NES Edition with the better back lit screen. This Gameboy along with the EZ Flash IV is really handheld pleasure.

Just finished Metroid Zero Mission on it and I think I'm hooked on Metroid games now  ;D Going for Metroid Fusion next!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 08:20:31 pm by fenixt »

k0en

Re: Handheld Collections
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 10:22:18 pm »
Cool Topic !

Here my Game and Watch Collection ;)

Next Pic, my Gameboy (Classic, Advance, SP, micro) Collection...

fenixt (OP)

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 11:41:09 pm »
Nice collection! Hold on to 'em. I always found it interesting how the DSs are shaped a lot like the game & watch. Don't know if that was done on purpose or coincidence. Can't wait to see the Gameboys.

I've got an original style GBA, that's not in the pic, but I'm waiting on a new shell for it. Kids beat that thing to death.

cruelcynic

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 05:23:53 am »
The only handhelds I have right now are my game gear and nomad. Got a lot of use out of both of them.

NoeL

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 05:47:48 am »
I've got a Dingoo A320, Yinlips YDPG16, and awaiting the GCW Zero. There's an Atari Lynx stashed away at my parents' place somewhere, but no one gives a shit about those.

10basetom

• tohodo.com
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 05:16:21 pm »
fenixt, you may be interested in the Revo K101 -- it's a hardware clone of the GBA with a better screen and speaker for $60. They also have the older K1 model if you prefer the SP form factor, though that's missing the RTC. I think everything is cloned, including support for the multi-link cable, except for the GB hardware.

I forgot to mention an important minor detail: in addition to accepting original GBA cartridges, the K101 also allows you to play all your backed up roms from a MicroSD card.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 05:27:12 pm by 10basetom »

fenixt (OP)

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 06:54:34 pm »
@10basetom, I've seen the GBA clones, but they don't offer much new than what my current setup does (AGS-101 screen + Ez flash iv). I was hoping that the SP clone would do SNES. But it'd need two more buttons for that. If it did something like snes, with 4 buttons, I'd probably be on it  :)

Just added this sexy machine to my collection today. Picked it up at Gamestop (shudder) for $69. Pretty good condition too! Waiting for it to fully charge, so I can update the firmware, then put on Creative File Works on it to play emulators. Can't wait to see the performance of it.  And if I get bored of the emulators, it can still play some pretty nice games made for it.

Gamestop gets a bad rap, I know, but I got pretty good deals the last two times I went. Last time I got Metroid Prime 3 for $8.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 07:11:44 pm by fenixt »

10basetom

• tohodo.com
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 01:53:11 am »
fenixt, it has all the right buttons (abxy + LR), but it's not able to emulate SNES smoothly.

Nice addition to your collection.

fenixt (OP)

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 02:02:25 am »
Oops, I automatically assumed you were talking about the K1 GBA SP clone.  :-[

Pardue

• GamingGems
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 02:42:50 am »
Nice! I've been waiting for a thread like this to show off my handhelds. Ladies, read em' and weep!

Top row: Star Wars Electronic Battle Command; GB SP with kiosk; Konami Hyperboy; Game Axe color

Middle row: Prototype Watara Supervision; two other boxed Watara Supervisions; a very rare and very early Watara Supervision (wanna guess why they had to change their design?  ;) ); Neo Geo Pocket Color

Bottow row: my first Gameboy; Gameboy pocket; Gameboy color; Gameboy Micro; DSi; Wonderswan Swan Crystal, Dingoo A320 (x2); Sony Pocketstation.

The next handhelds I plan to add to my collection: GCW Zero, a tablet of some sort (not a big fan, mostly just for web browsing), Jurassic Park III Dino-dex and Sony Xperia Play.

difuno

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 06:12:02 am »
Do you recognize them all?  ;D

Pardue

• GamingGems
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 07:21:33 am »
Err... let me take a stab without looking up anything (I promise!).

Trying to work my way from the top: A320e, upside down Caanoo, A380, A320, G-Wiz, Gamei A330, and GPH...2...*mumble*mumble*.

As for the two on the left, I know I've seen the one on the top, don't know what it's called, but I know it's not a Gizmondo. I have no idea what the one below it is. It looks like one of those cheap plug and play things that only has like 4 licensed games on it, all of them George Lucas properties.

difuno

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 08:18:16 am »
Err... let me take a stab without looking up anything (I promise!).

Trying to work my way from the top: A320e, upside down Caanoo, A380, A320, G-Wiz, Gamei A330, and GPH...2...*mumble*mumble*.

As for the two on the left, I know I've seen the one on the top, don't know what it's called, but I know it's not a Gizmondo. I have no idea what the one below it is. It looks like one of those cheap plug and play things that only has like 4 licensed games on it, all of them George Lucas properties.

Good job man, upside down Caanoo, hehe, how stupid I was when I took this picture, I didn't even notice it was placed upside down  ;D

Bottom left isn't that kind of cheap plug and play, it's never officially released.

Take a careful look at the bottom right, see what you find ;D

k0en

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 08:27:02 am »
And now ladies and gentlemen, my nintendo's handheld family !

And others friends of mine ;)

ruffnutts

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 09:16:34 am »
I have a similar collection to difuno  ;) pics coming soon, I gave my DS away though lol

difuno

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 09:44:28 am »
I have a similar collection to difuno  ;) pics coming soon, I gave my DS away though lol

Waiting for your pics  ;D

What about this one, can you tell? lol

difuno

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 09:46:40 am »
And now ladies and gentlemen, my nintendo's handheld family !

And others friends of mine ;)

The one on the top of the 2nd pic looks nice, can you post a close up pic of this one, and preferably with the game turned on?  ;D

ruffnutts

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 11:09:56 am »
Now that is a cool gameboy difuno wow like it

bamboori

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 01:20:24 pm »
@difuno where did you get it? D: i was looking for the game fighter all along the interwebz ;__;

difuno

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 01:35:54 pm »
@difuno where did you get it? D: i was looking for the game fighter all along the interwebz ;__;

I got this many years ago, when I first started to collect game players.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic