Author Topic: Any good Handhelds ?  (Read 5576 times)

tekkaman (OP)

Any good Handhelds ?
« on: August 27, 2015, 10:00:09 pm »
I'm looking for a handheld that is not android. Able to play music, videos,old games and that the buttons don't get stuck like the GCW. Any options ?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 10:02:58 pm by tekkaman »

SONY

• !
Re: Any good Handhelds ?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 10:17:14 pm »
PSPgo
Nintendo Switch w/ipega PG-9083

SONY PS3 Super Slim
SONY PS4 Slim
SONY PS4 Pro

ALLDOCUBE Mix Plus w/ ipega PG-9023

Apple iPad pro 2019 w/Gamevice (pending)

tekkaman (OP)

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 04:02:40 pm »
I already have a psp 3000. I was looking for something that could play Snes and GBA fullspeed.

dmitry_smagin

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 09:04:56 pm »
Why are you against android?
Recently I've bought Xperia Play phone for 60$ at aliexpress, it really does its job. Roughly equals to GCW-Zero by hardware.
GCW-Zero prototype, Dingoo a320, Ritmix rzx-50, Dingoo a380, Xperia Play

tekkaman (OP)

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 12:58:01 am »
I don't like "smart"devices. I like to use devices that I don't have to identify myself or create accounts in order to use them.

Girl

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 12:27:53 pm »
I don't like "smart"devices. I like to use devices that I don't have to identify myself or create accounts in order to use them.

you don't have to create an account to use android things, you could just skip that and copy files onto them , but i totally understand not wanting to switch to those kinds of handhelds, i didn't want to either last year lol

if you're worried about fingerprints on the screen or just don't like how android menus are , you're allowed to use a controller to move around through the menus in case you didn't know that =^)

anyways, the kind of handheld you are looking for won't have good prices for what they can run, compared to an android you could have got for the same price

one example would be buying a Caanoo, it can run the gameboy advance and super nintendo games but i think they're too expensive when you could get an android handheld that can play more things -for the same price

oh wait?? maybe there's more choices now, i haven't been here in a while but when i looked at someone's link to the "GameGadget" that one was too expensive also =^|
i'm cheating on my PSPs

Bigbot

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 04:08:03 pm »
I have a Caanoo, Dingoo A320, and the GCW Zero. As far as SNES emulation, the Zero is as good as you're going to get on a non-android handheld (emulator is top notch as well, plays Star Fox at full speed). The Dingoo is slightly better than Caanoo for SNES emulation, but neither are as good as the Zero.

Girl

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 09:44:44 am »
The Dingoo is slightly better than Caanoo for SNES emulation

the dingoo did better!? like the "regular dingoo" ?? that is really interesting i thought the caanoo was supposed to do things faster but anyways thanks so much for saying the GCW Zero was fastest, i might get one on ebay if there's a good price

well unless the battery doesn't come out then nevermind =^[
i'm cheating on my PSPs

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 12:43:29 pm »
The Dingoo is slightly better than Caanoo for SNES emulation

the dingoo did better!? like the "regular dingoo" ?? that is really interesting i thought the caanoo was supposed to do things faster but anyways thanks so much for saying the GCW Zero was fastest, i might get one on ebay if there's a good price

well unless the battery doesn't come out then nevermind =^[
Not sure if the current GCW Zero batch has the new battery connector. It should be replaceable by opening up the unit.

Girl

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 07:17:12 pm »
It should be replaceable by opening up the unit.

is it really hard? or do you just have to unscrew screws to make the back come off ?

i wish more handhelds like these made it where you could just take the battery out like psp
i'm cheating on my PSPs

gameblabla

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 11:26:00 pm »
is it really hard? or do you just have to unscrew screws to make the back come off ?
i wish more handhelds like these made it where you could just take the battery out like psp
Unfortunely yes, as shown here.

Unlike the PSP though (ths PSP really likes to freeze and crash often), you probably don't need to take out the battery often.
That being said, i don't own a GCW0 so...

EDIT: There's a guide on surkow's wiki on how to unmount the gcw0, should you need to do so.
Only a few screws apparently.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:58:57 am by gameblabla »

tekkaman (OP)

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 06:56:40 pm »
What about those JXD devices that aren't android ? Are they any good ?

SONY

• !
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 11:21:14 pm »
They all use crappy Sunplus.

They're only as good as Dingoos.
Nintendo Switch w/ipega PG-9083

SONY PS3 Super Slim
SONY PS4 Slim
SONY PS4 Pro

ALLDOCUBE Mix Plus w/ ipega PG-9023

Apple iPad pro 2019 w/Gamevice (pending)

zhongtiao1

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 06:26:58 am »
Look on Aliexpress. Lots of non android handhelds there (and you'll laugh at the cruddy English) :)

Girl

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015, 12:22:10 pm »
Look on Aliexpress. Lots of non android handhelds there (and you'll laugh at the cruddy English) :)

i'm scared to order things from that place because Pardue made videos of how Aliexpress will just send any handheld they want even if it doesn't match the picture and then you have to go through a whole returning process i think
i'm cheating on my PSPs

zhongtiao1

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 07:14:50 pm »

i'm scared to order things from that place because Pardue made videos of how Aliexpress will just send any handheld they want even if it doesn't match the picture and then you have to go through a whole returning process i think
Only buy from sellers who have one crown or more rating. Crowns are the highest rating any seller can get. Yes, the goods usually cost a bit more than sellers with medals or no rating, but they are more reliable. Don't buy a product with less than a 4.2 rating unless you're willing to take a chance

stonedrum

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2015, 05:01:20 pm »
i have a gcw zero.  not sure i recommend it.  I love everything about it, except my d pad's up direction is broken.  And the system is new.  Im going to get it modded by a service i found on facebook, and hopefully with a ds d pad in there it will be a great system.  if you dont plan on modding the d pad, be wary that the d pad depending on your luck can be god awful. 

Also, for 150, the gcw zero is a pretty poor value.  The system feels cheap, but at least it has a nice design.  It's just the system feels more like a 50-80 dollar system, not 150...  I'd give the gcw zero a 7/10 with the faulty d pad.  I love the size and simplicity of the thing, despite feeling a little cheap.  Too high of a price.  If the d pad mod fixes the dpad, i'd give the gcw zero an 8.5

The emulation is solid, and getting games on it via sd is lightning fast and easy :)  literally drop games in a folder on sd and youre good to go.  No hassle with the emulators. 

The screen looks great for some things, notably genesis, but for snes, because of the funky screen dimensions of the system, if you put snes in fullscreen, you will have uneven pixels where 1 line of pixels is sharp and others are blurry.  It isn't too noticeable, but is indeed a bother if you prefer pixel perfect graphics.  Although, you can just set emulators like snes not to full screen to fix this, but then the screen is a little small. 
------

I also have a gpd xd.  It's an android handheld.  got it for 133 dollars on ebay new in box.  Now that system....I'd pay 250 for it.  It is extremely high quality, plays dreamcast games with perfect-near perfect frame rate.  But it's an android console, and you need a google account if you plan on purchasing the high quality emulators for it, like epsxe (ps1).  Although, I give the gpd xd a 9.7/10. 

eltehero

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 11:45:09 pm »
Dingoo A380 is pretty good but new units are hard to find these days :(
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 11:49:26 pm by van denhawk »