Author Topic: What's your suggestion on next Dingoo console?  (Read 10992 times)

irenetea (OP)

What's your suggestion on next Dingoo console?
« on: May 14, 2013, 08:46:07 am »
Hello everybody,

If there will be a next Dingoo, what are your suggestions for it?  What is your expectation?

I would like to collect this information and let Dingoo people know.

Let's see what they will  do.

Tks.
Love peace, love life.

Alien Grey

Re: What's your suggestion on next Dingoo console?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 02:13:20 pm »
My expectations are an upgraded Dingoo A-380.

More memory. A lot of FinalBurn Alpha games need Virtual Memory and this makes the loading times too long.
More CPU power is a must, HDMI and support for the F-16 wireless controllers. 

The JZ4780 looks promising if it's true that it's an ultra-low power SoC. This is important because I don't want to charge the battery after 2 hours of use.
Dingoo A-380 CFW V2.11.09 "RetroDD" - 2 x SanDisk SDHC 32GB Class 10 MicroSD Inside - 2 x Dingoo F-16 Wireless Game Controller

AtariHERO

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 02:50:27 pm »
Agree,

Dingoo A680 (GCW killer)

*JZ4780 minimum
*4:3 screen led or oled
*512 mb ram
*updated dingux / opendingux
*opaque plastic shell, not bright / polished scratch friendly surfaces anymore !!!
*analog stick
*hdmi out
*f-16 controllers support
*more colors in addition to black and white, red,yellow,green ?
*resistant, scratch proof glass protector
*same high quality action buttons
*better quality on/off start select ,l/r buttons
*official case and accesories

and the killer feature:
you but it , you get it

no years of waiting / scams like other suppliers

Alien Grey

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 03:16:47 pm »

Why would you like a 4:3 screen?

What's wrong with centering the image on the screen?
Dingoo A-380 CFW V2.11.09 "RetroDD" - 2 x SanDisk SDHC 32GB Class 10 MicroSD Inside - 2 x Dingoo F-16 Wireless Game Controller

dmitry_smagin

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 07:03:32 pm »
You forget about firmware/software.

What made Dingoo a320 so appealing? Its native os was of a decent quality, emulators and games are still being released for it. What made it more appealing? Ability to run linux - crappy dingux from ingenic at first, totally rewritten opendingux later. Opensource.

What made a320e/a380/rzx50 fail? Shitty attitude from manufacturer, source-code stealing and almost no updates. Ingenic's linux was taken as a base with some shitty mods. Moreover, even ingenic's linux didn't support all features of jz4755 soc. Video processor unit (VPU, almost a second core) - never heard of that. Image processing unit (IPU, hardware image scaling) - ok, let it be a crappy driver for mplayer only. In addition someone decided that bigger screen is better and here comes the incompatibility with a320 software. No wonder no one bothered to make opendingux for a380.

Now, gcw-zero. Without opendingux it would be another crappy console like neogeo x or a380. It's opendingux which makes it a success. Though we don't have proper driver for Vivante GPU, but eventually etna_viv (opensource replacement) will come to the usable state. Ingenic doesn't provide code for it because it's a proprietary licenced technology.

So, before you say that a new hypothetic cosole is a gcw-zero killer look closer at the software. Knowing chineses, I can say that most probably they will make things in a worst possible way. jz4780 has PowerVR graphics chip which is another proprietary thing with no opensource drivers. That means no 3d for opendingux.

So, what are the suggestions for the 'new dingoo'? Well, it doesn't matter what resolution lcd has and how many buttons there are. If the firmware is properly written, it would be a success. If it's another 'we hire some students to adapt dingux for it' or 'we put big screen and Android in it' it would be another fail.

ADDED:
Ok, what matters for me:
- 640x480 lcd screen with hardware upscaling of old 320x240 apps
- 6 gaming buttons abcxyz for sega emulation
- opensource os and user shell (even crappy chinese dingux variant)
- 256 Mb ram (it's more than enough, dingux is not android)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 07:41:37 pm by d_smagin »
GCW-Zero prototype, Dingoo a320, Ritmix rzx-50, Dingoo a380, Xperia Play

retrodd

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 09:13:53 pm »
4:3 screen is okay, because of a bigger image, i also want two or three buttons below the d-pad same like caanoo has it. it's for playing vertical shooter with screen 90 degrees turned, to play fullscreen.
new 2 GHZ Ingenic, and 1 GB Ram, needed for dreamcast and saturn emulation, for me it would be better to see an ARM instead a MIPS processor, good linux os,
two sd-slot like Pandora,

lemmywinks

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 10:16:58 pm »
new 2 GHZ Ingenic, and 1 GB Ram, needed for dreamcast and saturn emulation

Does the console ship with a free DeLorean?  ;D
Handhelds:
GPD XD 64gb, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go
Consoles:
XBox360, Wii, PS2 Slim, PSOne
PC:
HP Touchsmart 11 (AMD A6)
Voyo A1 Mini
Psion 5 & 5MX

irenetea (OP)

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 01:32:49 pm »
My expectations are an upgraded Dingoo A-380.

More memory. A lot of FinalBurn Alpha games need Virtual Memory and this makes the loading times too long.
More CPU power is a must, HDMI and support for the F-16 wireless controllers. 

The JZ4780 looks promising if it's true that it's an ultra-low power SoC. This is important because I don't want to charge the battery after 2 hours of use.

Thanks!
Love peace, love life.

irenetea (OP)

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 01:33:36 pm »
Agree,

Dingoo A680 (GCW killer)

*JZ4780 minimum
*512 mb ram
*updated dingux / opendingux
*opaque plastic shell, not bright / polished scratch friendly surfaces anymore !!!
*analog stick
*hdmi out
*f-16 controllers support
*more colors in addition to black and white, red,yellow,green ?
*resistant, scratch proof glass protector
*same high quality action buttons
*better quality on/off start select ,l/r buttons
*official case and accesories

and the killer feature:
you but it , you get it

no years of waiting / scams like other suppliers

Thanks ,firend.
Love peace, love life.

irenetea (OP)

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 01:34:23 pm »
You forget about firmware/software.

What made Dingoo a320 so appealing? Its native os was of a decent quality, emulators and games are still being released for it. What made it more appealing? Ability to run linux - crappy dingux from ingenic at first, totally rewritten opendingux later. Opensource.

What made a320e/a380/rzx50 fail? Shitty attitude from manufacturer, source-code stealing and almost no updates. Ingenic's linux was taken as a base with some shitty mods. Moreover, even ingenic's linux didn't support all features of jz4755 soc. Video processor unit (VPU, almost a second core) - never heard of that. Image processing unit (IPU, hardware image scaling) - ok, let it be a crappy driver for mplayer only. In addition someone decided that bigger screen is better and here comes the incompatibility with a320 software. No wonder no one bothered to make opendingux for a380.

Now, gcw-zero. Without opendingux it would be another crappy console like neogeo x or a380. It's opendingux which makes it a success. Though we don't have proper driver for Vivante GPU, but eventually etna_viv (opensource replacement) will come to the usable state. Ingenic doesn't provide code for it because it's a proprietary licenced technology.

So, before you say that a new hypothetic cosole is a gcw-zero killer look closer at the software. Knowing chineses, I can say that most probably they will make things in a worst possible way. jz4780 has PowerVR graphics chip which is another proprietary thing with no opensource drivers. That means no 3d for opendingux.

So, what are the suggestions for the 'new dingoo'? Well, it doesn't matter what resolution lcd has and how many buttons there are. If the firmware is properly written, it would be a success. If it's another 'we hire some students to adapt dingux for it' or 'we put big screen and Android in it' it would be another fail.

ADDED:
Ok, what matters for me:
- 640x480 lcd screen with hardware upscaling of old 320x240 apps
- 6 gaming buttons abcxyz for sega emulation
- opensource os and user shell (even crappy chinese dingux variant)
- 256 Mb ram (it's more than enough, dingux is not android)

Wow, u said a lot ! Thank you so much.
Love peace, love life.

irenetea (OP)

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 01:35:10 pm »
4:3 screen is okay, because of a bigger image, i also want two or three buttons below the d-pad same like caanoo has it. it's for playing vertical shooter with screen 90 degrees turned, to play fullscreen.
new 2 GHZ Ingenic, and 1 GB Ram, needed for dreamcast and saturn emulation, for me it would be better to see an ARM instead a MIPS processor, good linux os,
two sd-slot like Pandora,

Thank you! So glad to see the words from all of you.
Love peace, love life.

irenetea (OP)

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 01:38:05 pm »
new 2 GHZ Ingenic, and 1 GB Ram, needed for dreamcast and saturn emulation

Does the console ship with a free DeLorean?  ;D

Oh, this is a good idea. ;)
Love peace, love life.

Alien Grey

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 02:10:01 pm »
4:3 screen is okay, because of a bigger image

I don't think so. A 800 x 480 pixels screen won't be smaller than a 640 x 480 pixels screen.

I also think that a 800 x 480 pixels screen is easier to find than a 640 x 480 pixels screen and probably cheaper.

Alien Grey

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 02:19:22 pm »
jz4780 has PowerVR graphics chip which is another proprietary thing with no opensource drivers. That means no 3d for opendingux.

I don't see the problem having to use proprietary drivers. I think it's better to use the proprietary driver than having to wait for an open-source driver and make it impossible to use the hardware.

I do agree that the firmware should be open-source and Linux based.

Surkow

• * Administrator
  • S
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 02:41:19 pm »
jz4780 has PowerVR graphics chip which is another proprietary thing with no opensource drivers. That means no 3d for opendingux.

I don't see the problem having to use proprietary drivers. I think it's better to use the proprietary driver than having to wait for an open-source driver and make it impossible to use the hardware.

I do agree that the firmware should be open-source and Linux based.
You don't see the problem because you never had to deal with getting proprietary drivers to work on a non supported Linux kernel. PowerVR is notorious for that. The only way to get it to work is to switch to Android.

Post a new topic