Author Topic: Any classic console homebrew developers here?  (Read 2010 times)

BondCutter

Any classic console homebrew developers here?
« on: September 15, 2011, 03:33:30 pm »
I'm still new around here, and I didn't see a similar thread in this area of the board, so I thought I would try and get a conversation started. :)

Out of curiosity, do any of the users of these boards develop homebrew games targeted to classic consoles? I grew up in the 1980s/'90s, so I've played more than my fair share of original Atari, Nintendo, Sega, and other systems... I even had an Intellivision, a Colecovision, one of those OLD (1970s-ish) gray boxes with dials on it, that you plug into a TV and play Pong with... and (running out of breath!)... a Commodore 64. There are others, but I'd never get to the point of this post if I kept going!  :P

But I always wanted to make games for some of these systems... I've been programming Windows stuff for a while, and have had a modest amount of academic computer science training. Lately I've taken a fancy to NES development. And, being that there are handheld emulator consoles that will play NES ROMs... well, that led me here. :)

So yeah, anyone else around here enjoy chasing dreams they thought they'd abandoned years ago? ;)

SilverhawkBR

Re: Any classic console homebrew developers here?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 12:19:47 am »
I like chasing dreams, but i already gave up going to another dimension  ::)

Well, for developing games for these consoles, you most likely need Tools to do so. I can't remeber of any right now with the systems above mentioned, sorry.  :(

BondCutter

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 05:21:00 am »
Well, for developing games for these consoles, you most likely need Tools to do so. I can't remeber of any right now with the systems above mentioned, sorry.  :(

That's fine; I've been around the block a few times, and have no problem with finding tools for development... I was just wondering if there were any others here who shared my interests in rolling their own. :)

Amstari

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 11:43:21 am »
If you want to make homebrew games for the Atari 2600 try "batari Basic"

http://bataribasic.com/
http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html

You can play them on a Dingoo with Stella, or on a real 2600 with a Harmony Cart or get a real cart made.

I have tried some programming with batari Basic but I haven't developed a full game yet. Eventually I want to try assembly language but this is a good place to start to learn the capabilities and limitation of the 2600.

smccd

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 10:14:38 pm »
Hello,

Over the past year, I have been gathering dev kits for classic consoles from around the net, fixing them up to get them in a working state, and then wrote small game samples for each. The samples will compile out of the box.
You can find them at

http://sebastianmihai.com/ccd

I am currently up to 14 different systems.

Enjoy!

Post a new topic