Author Topic: The big question  (Read 880 times)

beatts (OP)

The big question
« on: June 02, 2015, 06:01:53 am »
So... I'm obviously new to this site as this is my first post, but i like to think that my research in the latest gaming tablets gives me some credibility. I'm a big gamer interested in a tablet for gaming as well as day to day activities (streaming, email, browsing, etc). My question is, with the S7800b and the 9701 out for so long, do i wait a few more months before investing in a quality product? It's only between the 7800b and the 9701 now, and the JXD has the advantage with developer support. I'd love a tablet that could detach from the controller side of things but Wikitab and Ipega are miles away from having their s**t together, with ipega basically dropping the 9701 (can't even be found on their website).

I'm about minutes away from purchasing a S7800b but i still can't help but wonder: Am i going to miss out on the next big push in emulation gaming? the 1.6 quad core is alright for everything up to N64, but the PSP emulation has me worried. I'd like to think that at some point i can use my tablet for PSP and eventually GC emulation with no problems. the JXD can manage PSP (somewhat) but GC seems like an unobtainable goal.

The JXD seems great to me. It has everything you could want. Functionality from the start, excessive community of developers to push it to the next level, TILTING ANALOG STICKS (literally a must). The always-attached controller does kinda suck though i never shook the excitement of the Ipega PG9701 when i saw it. Such a shame that the company hasn't done anything with it.

SO, sorry for the long winded post... My main question is would i be better off buying the JXD S7800b now and not regretting it, or waiting for some octocore, 4gig device to usher in the new era of gaming tablets? I really think this will come in the near future and buying a product that can't meet the expectations will be a serious loss for me. Looking for any input at all i guess, just general discussion about your favorite new tablet would also be appreciated for a newbie like me. Thanks guys.

edd_jedi

Re: The big question
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 07:50:06 am »
Well you could apply your question to anything - cars, laptops, watches etc. Technology is always changing so if you are worried about not having the 'latest' then it's a losing battle, you will never have the latest tech for long.

Having owned several of these things (Dingoo, Gemei etc) the S7800B is by FAR the best in terms of build quality and homebrew developer support. So although I can't guarantee you won't miss out on the next generation console, I don't think you can go far wrong with it.

Melquiades

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 08:08:15 am »
I really love the S7800B, and its build quality (for anything else than analogs of course).

However, the developer support is very bad. Nothing to do with GPD consoles for example. Not a fault of the developers of course, since JXD has not released the sources and they work for free, so in spite of how grateful I am to them,  support for this thingy is bad anyway.

Keep in mind also that while for most Androids installing a ROM is quite easy, in this case it can be VERY painful. It is a trial and error process. You first find a firmware that is acceptable (I recommend Webclaws latest), but THEN:
- Most likely you have to fix the power button issue.
- You have to edit some internal files in order to allow for SWAP.

Also forget about playing via HDMI, it is capped at 40 FPS.

So in a nutshell, this is a very good console with superior build quality, but the scene pales when compared to any GPD and the stock firmware is just useless so there is no way you can keep it.

skelton

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 10:32:30 am »

However, the developer support is very bad. Nothing to do with GPD consoles for example. Not a fault of the developers of course, since JXD has not released the sources and they work for free, so in spite of how grateful I am to them,  support for this thingy is bad anyway.

The source for kernel was indeed released. I leaked it, and it's available in Lujji's Github. Anyone is free to use GPD source as a base too.
https://github.com/lujji/JXD-7800b-KK-kernel

Retired

Post a new topic