Author Topic: SUBOR S7800, who is SUBOR and what is this?  (Read 3349 times)

Jodieshu (OP)

SUBOR S7800, who is SUBOR and what is this?
« on: March 26, 2014, 06:56:03 am »
I ran into this while considering the JXD S7800 but IDK who SUBOR is and can't find much online on the company. The pics of the product online are of the JXD model but the SUBOR model has a processor rated at 1.8 Ghz instead of JXD's 1.6. I asked the seller about it and the answer I got wasn't very helpful. Has anyone purchased this? Is this a reliable device? and more importantly if it IS just the JXD model rebranded then does anyone know what they did to achieve the 1.8 Ghz?

Any help or advice from someone who knows or has purchased this product let me know.
Here is a link,

http://www.amazon.com/Android-Console-Multimedia-Support-Emulator/dp/B00GBM937M/ref=pd_cp_cps_0

nielo360

Re: SUBOR S7800, who is SUBOR and what is this?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 08:02:36 am »
Its probably some sort of OC version although not a good idea to buy it since 7800b is not supported by JXD at this point and the cpu already had some issues with clocks. You are better off getting an official version if you must buy a 7800.

­

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 08:27:37 am »
It's just an old model JXD S7800B. Newer models have the cheap rk3188-t instead of a rk3188, so they are unable to reach 1.8 GHz.
Anyways, TANworks' overcharged firmware already does that if you have an older model, and the difference isn't that big if you have a newer one. It doesn't justify spending $180, especially with better supported devices that have come since (GPD G5A has skelton working with the dev team, for example - plus it has better controls).

Actually, it reminds me of the PWNAGE Project. When the S7800B first came out they advertised on the boards that they offer an overclocked device for just $250, IIRC. Two weeks later TANworks figured out how to do it, and for free - and they dropped off the board.
Conclusion - There are only 2 versions of the S7800B, none of them are worth buying right now. For gaming, you're better off getting a GPD. For video, get anything that doesn't use an rk3188, because that SoC is just plain awful for that.

Jodieshu (OP)

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 09:09:14 am »
I looked at the GPD also. I would have thought it to be lesser because it has 1 gig of ram compared to the JXD which has 2. Does it run Reicast well?

Jodieshu (OP)

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 09:14:52 am »
and a lower resolution too..

­

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 09:53:02 am »
You're going to have upscaled textures and resolution for emulators and most games either way, so the difference isn't that important - I'd even argue that the GPD G5A is more than enough for it. The only thing that the resolution matters in is HD video playback - and the rk3188 simply can't do that well enough - so that goes out the window.
Also, the RAM isn't that important if you run a single, or even 2 or 3 apps at a time. For me, it doesn't matter one bit - for others, it may matter a lot. It's up to you and how you use your device.

Jodieshu (OP)

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 10:43:41 am »
Do you have problems with the d-pad on retrogames? I am seeing a lot of people complain about it. Idk if it's a common problem or if they just got defective units.

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 02:40:24 pm »
I would not touch this, it's obviously a molested JXD.

At best you get an overclocked unit, or it could be a straight up scam and you end up with a regular JXD at stock speed.

either way avoid it would be my advice.

Do you have problems with the d-pad on retrogames? I am seeing a lot of people complain about it. Idk if it's a common problem or if they just got defective units.
matter of taste, i've got 2 of them and they both preform pretty similarly in dpad, I use it a lot more then the analogs.
I find that it hits diagonals to easy for my taste. and can sometimes cause me trouble on fighting games that have charging moves (holding one direction and then tapping another, EX: Guiles sonic boom)

Its probably some sort of OC version although not a good idea to buy it since 7800b is not supported by JXD at this point and the cpu already had some issues with clocks. You are better off getting an official version if you must buy a 7800.
JXD has recently been active in putting out new firmwares, word is they have a new company working on the firmwares for them and recently put out a kitkat firmware although it's got problems of it's own.
Im optimistic these days.

Post a new topic