Author Topic: S7800B - worst piece of electronics ever?  (Read 7522 times)

LooZee (OP)

S7800B - worst piece of electronics ever?
« on: April 12, 2014, 01:31:38 pm »
I have used my S7800B for about 2 or 3 hours in total, never even played a game, only installed some apps, switched it off and put it back in its box. When I got it out again yesterday, it didn't switch on anymore. Well, I gave it a charge and tried again, but nothing, no reaction.

I have read several posts about broken power switches, so I decided to open the damn thing up to see what I could do. Unfortunately, the plastic for the case is so soft that now there is a hole where I inserted the tiny little screwdriver to remove the back cover. Warranty void. My fault. That "smart game console" made me so angry I still feel the need to ram a screwdriver right through the LCD.

I just wanted to thank JXD for the most frustrating piece of trash I ever paid 150 ? for.

If anyone is still thinking about getting one of these paperweights - think again. Read (and believe) those posts that tell you NOT to buy it. If you think you know better - yes, you will.

Take your girlfriend out for a dinner instead. You won't regret that.

kristianity77

Re: S7800B - worst piece of electronics ever?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 02:29:33 pm »
I have used my S7800B for about 2 or 3 hours in total, never even played a game, only installed some apps, switched it off and put it back in its box. When I got it out again yesterday, it didn't switch on anymore. Well, I gave it a charge and tried again, but nothing, no reaction.

I have read several posts about broken power switches, so I decided to open the damn thing up to see what I could do. Unfortunately, the plastic for the case is so soft that now there is a hole where I inserted the tiny little screwdriver to remove the back cover. Warranty void. My fault. That "smart game console" made me so angry I still feel the need to ram a screwdriver right through the LCD.

I just wanted to thank JXD for the most frustrating piece of trash I ever paid 150 ? for.

If anyone is still thinking about getting one of these paperweights - think again. Read (and believe) those posts that tell you NOT to buy it. If you think you know better - yes, you will.

Did you try the reset button near the SD card slot?  Did you hold the power button down for about 10 seconds for a proper reset also?  Did you install drivers to PC and then connect via USB to see if device would connect that way?  All things you really should have tried before you hacked it open with a screwdriver :)
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

indask8

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 02:47:27 pm »
Also from my experience, pressing the reset button isn't enough sometimes, you need to hold it for like ten seconds before it starts working again.

fosamax

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 02:55:49 pm »

I took my wife out yesterday for a dinner and you're right it was great.

LooZee (OP)

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 04:08:02 pm »
Did you try the reset button near the SD card slot?  Did you hold the power button down for about 10 seconds for a proper reset also?  Did you install drivers to PC and then connect via USB to see if device would connect that way?  All things you really should have tried before you hacked it open with a screwdriver :)

Yes, I did. Pressed the power button for 10 seconds, 30 seconds, even 2 minutes. Same with the reset button.

After opening it up and having a closer look I didn't notice anything wrong with the buttons. Will have to do some measuring with a multimeter.

LooZee (OP)

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 04:11:41 pm »
I took my wife out yesterday for a dinner and you're right it was great.

Glad to hear that!

fosamax

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 04:49:57 pm »
Here's where we got out : http://atelierdemarcmeurin.fr/

and the menu :

for her :
- Champagne ros?
- Organic farm egg poached, fresh spinach, mushroom cream
- Pot au feu de poulette de la Mayenne de Monsieur Daudet, l?gumes racine,
Riz pilaf, sauce supr?me (no translation sorry)
- Coconut ice cream, passion fruit syrup

for me :
- Champagne ros?
- King shrimps ?black tiger?, guacamole, shavings of lomo ham, carrots juice
- Angus beffchuck, candied shallots, Laurette potatoes
- Grapefuit jelly, meringue, sauce with orange & ginger

For sure better than a JXD  ;)

LooZee (OP)

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 05:07:12 pm »
Here's where we got out

For sure better than a JXD  ;)

:D

LooZee (OP)

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 05:12:36 pm »
There are two test points (?) on the PCB marked + and -

I measured there and ... tadaaa! Nothing. Zero volts :(
Connected a charger and still 0V. Also used GND from a (botched) solder joint near the battery. No power whatsoever.

Any ideas which component got fried? What else could I measure?

Volcano

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 07:13:33 pm »
well im guessing the charger fried your unit? thats why everyone on this board tells you NOT to use the charger at all.

also you dont seem like the patient type lol. how did you break a hole in the unit...

i love my unit, works perfectly and runs everything i throw at it. i use it daily for 6+ hours
S7800B. Webclaw

LooZee (OP)

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 07:49:52 pm »
well im guessing the charger fried your unit? thats why everyone on this board tells you NOT to use the charger at all.

also you dont seem like the patient type lol. how did you break a hole in the unit...

i love my unit, works perfectly and runs everything i throw at it. i use it daily for 6+ hours

I only used that charger once and after I heard of the problems I replaced it with one I can trust. Made in Germany. The first thing I did after I took the S7800 out of its box was to connect it to my PC via USB. Then I tried to switch it on, but it didn't work. After that I connected the charger. So I guess the USB killed it, not the charger. The same USB cable I've used for the last 2 years to charge my Samsung Galaxy S3.

But even if overload is the cause, there must be a certain component, some resistor or capacitor blown up.

Well, thanks to the cheap plastic I was able to push it back so the hole is no longer a hole but just a little bump. I could live with that... if there was a sign of life from the device.

And I AM patient. Otherwise I already would have thrown the damn thing to the wall. But if I can fix it, and maybe even make it more reliable by replacing or resoldering certain parts, I would be glad to do so.

LooZee (OP)

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 08:17:39 pm »
I found something. Thanks to a tip I got from a repair shop (notebook.de) I removed the battery. This thing is like a bar of chocolate in the sun, never seen anything like that before. It has a little PCB attached to it where the power lines are soldered to. 0 volts coming from the solder joints. Measuring the battery outputs directly gives me about 2.8V. Okay, so something got fried on that attached PCB. What is this? The recharging circuit?

Does someone know where I could find a replacement battery in Europe? It reads BDE6573104 5000mAh 3.7V.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 08:22:54 pm by LooZee »

Volcano

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 08:23:00 pm »
Im guessing changing that would be easy. I did read somewhere that someone plugged some rockchip tablet to one of thosr fast charge usb ports and messed the tablet. Perhaps thats why?
S7800B. Webclaw

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 10:09:54 am »
Just to be clear you're not trying to charge the unit via micro usb port right?

It does'nt support USB charging you can use USB as a power source but you'll need an adapter and go in thru the (2.5mm I think) barrel plug.

Li-ion / Li-po batteries have charging circuits because they're dangerous if charged improperly.
Most controllers will actually NOT allow a battery to be recharged if it goes below a threshold.
the 0 volts off the controller tells me that may be what has happened. although WHY it happened on a new unit I do not know.. this generally only happens on batteries that have sat flat for a very long time.

Regardless you MAY be able to revive teh battery, I have had good success.
there is risk involved however.

You'll need to bypass the protection circuit and use a hobby charger.
hobby chargers have their own protection however and you'll need to either disable that (if possible)
OR find a alternate battery chemistry that will ignore the  "battery voltage low" error you'll get back on li-po/ion.

It's been a while but I believe I used Ni-cad on my hobby charger.
You'll want to set the charging current low.. .1 or .2 amp.. you just wanna trickle some juice into battery, the voltage will rise pretty fast so once you get around 3volts you can charge up normally, though 2.8 should still be within safe discharge levels however each protection circuit is setup different so maybe this one's overly paranoid.

The protection circuit is suppose to cut the battery off from discharge when in use so that you don't enter a over discharge condition (and thus be locked out of recharging)
I have seen protection circuits off at 3.3v before which is actually pretty high.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 10:12:21 am by Joe Sixpack »

braincell

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 05:03:17 pm »
i like the 7800 hardware , just the softwares sh!t , If not for people donating their time and effort to this it would be almost unfit for purpose.....

that said i will NOT buy another JXD product , should have learnt that lesson with the 7300.....

Q88 looks nice when released , it seems at least GPD will release the kernal source to people like skelton

LooZee (OP)

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 09:04:49 pm »
Just to be clear you're not trying to charge the unit via micro usb port right?

It does'nt support USB charging you can use USB as a power source but you'll need an adapter and go in thru the (2.5mm I think) barrel plug.

Of course I am not trying to charge it via USB. I'm using the barrel plug.

Li-ion / Li-po batteries have charging circuits because they're dangerous if charged improperly.
Most controllers will actually NOT allow a battery to be recharged if it goes below a threshold.
the 0 volts off the controller tells me that may be what has happened. although WHY it happened on a new unit I do not know.. this generally only happens on batteries that have sat flat for a very long time.

Regardless you MAY be able to revive teh battery, I have had good success.
there is risk involved however.

You'll need to bypass the protection circuit and use a hobby charger.
hobby chargers have their own protection however and you'll need to either disable that (if possible)
OR find a alternate battery chemistry that will ignore the  "battery voltage low" error you'll get back on li-po/ion.

It's been a while but I believe I used Ni-cad on my hobby charger.
You'll want to set the charging current low.. .1 or .2 amp.. you just wanna trickle some juice into battery, the voltage will rise pretty fast so once you get around 3volts you can charge up normally, though 2.8 should still be within safe discharge levels however each protection circuit is setup different so maybe this one's overly paranoid.

The protection circuit is suppose to cut the battery off from discharge when in use so that you don't enter a over discharge condition (and thus be locked out of recharging)
I have seen protection circuits off at 3.3v before which is actually pretty high.

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

But something is still weird. The device should be able to run from the 5V/2A input, I guess. I unsoldered the battery and connected a power supply to the barrel plug. The power line that normally goes to the battery (and is now disconnected) gives me a voltage of 2.4V. I expected it to be almost 4V. Something seems to be wrong here.

The battery itself, now that I had it removed, still gave me 2.76V, directly from the battery AND through the circuit. So that 0V reading I had yesterday is a mystery to me. May have been a short, as the battery's PCB is poorly isolated.

I connected the battery again, removed the external power supply and measured 2.76V on the + and - points on the main PCB. Of course, that's what I expected.

So there seem to be two problems. The battery voltage is too low and the external power is "eaten up" somewhere on the way, so it can't recharge the battery. Some blown up capacitor maybe?

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2014, 09:22:55 pm »

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

But something is still weird. The device should be able to run from the 5V/2A input,
Theoretically yes, However my unit came completely flat I mean ZERO charge.
It would not start untill the battery level got to about 10%
It would turn on, say JXD, then turn off.. this is while it was on charge.
I guess. I unsoldered the battery and connected a power supply to the barrel plug. The power line that normally goes to the battery (and is now disconnected) gives me a voltage of 2.4V. I expected it to be almost 4V. Something seems to be wrong here.
Not sure whats going on here, it might be nothing.
the controller on the battery most likely does not actually do teh charging, just protects the battery from various conditions such as:

over charge (cut off)
over discharge (cut off before battery enters a state where it's technically unsafe to charge again)
reverse polarity (if you tried to charge it with the terminals reversed)
short / fault protection (if you simply shorted the terminals together)
temperature (cut's off access to the battery if it exceeds a given temperature)

It's doubtful teh circuit board on it actually provides any logic to charge the battery it just keeps the battery safe from various conditions.

IF that's the case then 2.4v out of the terminals on the PCB of the device might not be usual since it can't detect a battery. you would not see higher voltages out of it unless it was trying to charge the battery.. but since the charge circuit needs to be aware of teh batteries current level it would not just blast out power.. Li-po/ion's do not charge at a constant rate, at low levels and about the final 10% the battery is charged at a lower rate.. so the chargers for li-po/ion batteries can't be "stupid"

The battery itself, now that I had it removed, still gave me 2.76V, directly from the battery AND through the circuit. So that 0V reading I had yesterday is a mystery to me. May have been a short, as the battery's PCB is poorly isolated.

I connected the battery again, removed the external power supply and measured 2.76V on the + and - points on the main PCB. Of course, that's what I expected.

So there seem to be two problems. The battery voltage is too low and the external power is "eaten up" somewhere on the way, so it can't recharge the battery. Some blown up capacitor maybe?
ya sounds like you might have a problem with that pack if it's now reading voltage from the batteries protection circuit then it sounds like it has not tripped into over discharge (assuming it protects that by cutting the battery off which most do since that's a basic level of protection.

If you have a hobby charger try charging it, let it go thru the protection PCB since you're getting a reading off it now.. it wont interfere with the hobby charger.

If it takes a charge then solder it back up and see how it runs, if it does'nt then i'd replace the battery back (and protection pcb)

if you don't have a hobby charger but have a spare li-po running around (capacity is'nt important but i'd want one with at least 1000mah)
You could wire it to the battery terminals in teh device and see if it can charge it up.
This is of course assuming the PCB on the battery is only for protection and is not the charging circuit (which it usually is'nt)

you could also try wiring the pack back up and see if the voltage goes above 2.4.. the voltage should be higher then teh battery pack if it's charging.

LooZee (OP)

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 10:10:04 pm »
Thanks for your thoughts, Joe.

I'll connect a different battery tomorrow and see if the device wakes up. I have one with 2400mAh from my mobile phone. If that works, I'm going to get a hobby charger and try to revive the original battery, as I was not yet able to find a replacement.

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2014, 10:26:44 pm »
the one from a mobile phone should work.

If it turns out you need a new pack just measure it and then go on ebay or dx or something and find one.
as long as it will physically fit you can go up or down on capacity.

assuming the pcb on the battery is just for protection (usually the case) you'll need to reuse that or get a battery that comes with one, you could possibly run it without the circuit but you take a risk, can you post a snap shot of the battery back and it's pcb?

Im surprised JXD didn't just integrate the protection into the device and use a bare battery.