Author Topic: S7800B: Tan's Supercharged vs Webclaw's Minimum  (Read 8006 times)

Daeymon (OP)

S7800B: Tan's Supercharged vs Webclaw's Minimum
« on: February 13, 2014, 07:17:26 pm »
What I'm currently using is Tan's Supercharged, been using it since December (I have a 1.6 October unit though, Christmas present from wife) and it does the job but I still get random soft and hard resets at times, and I lose my wifi completely whenever a soft reset occurs.

I've already stripped down all the additional apps he added so the fact Webclaw's is minimum won't be a selling point. Is there any advantages of his firmware over supercharged in terms of performance or stability (stability being more important to me than performance boosts)? Many people tend to recommend Webclaw's to newcomers, but I haven't yet seen a solid advantage other than it doesn't come with all funky apps that Tan included.

Joe Sixpack

Re: S7800B: Tan's Supercharged vs Webclaw's Minimum
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 07:27:59 pm »
Claws is stable and runs at 1.6
If you're happy with Tans then stick with it.

Daeymon (OP)

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 08:29:49 pm »
Is the soft reset wifi issue and the occasional random reset issue also present in the Webclaw rom? If it's a case there is little difference then I'll stick with Tan's.

kristianity77

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 09:17:39 pm »
I had sleep issues on Tans where it sometimes wouldnt wake properly and just reset.  I went over to Webclaws and haven't had this issue once.  I find Webclaws to be slightly better, and obviously its stripped of all the rubbish from scratch.
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 09:38:34 pm »
Is the soft reset wifi issue and the occasional random reset issue also present in the Webclaw rom? If it's a case there is little difference then I'll stick with Tan's.
not noticed anything like that

Daeymon (OP)

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 10:11:11 am »
And this morning Bard's Tale froze on the option screen :S Didn't even get in game. This was as at the beginning of my commute, had to wait till I got into the office to put a paperclip in the reset hole. I'll treat that as a sign, I'll load on Webclaw's this weekend and give that a solid go.

Magnus72

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 11:31:59 am »
I haven't tested WebClaws yet. But I have never had any reboot with Tan's firmware. My Jxd is the earlier one and stable with 1.8ghz overclock. Though performance wise I am interested in how Webclaws compare toTan's.

ooppee

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 02:45:33 pm »
I use Tans and using a root app delete removed much of the unneeded apps.

tintin

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 10:03:53 am »
Now we are a month down the line, it would be interesting to get some more feedback on how everyone is getting on with the alternative firmware options!

Daeymon (OP)

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 12:41:20 pm »
Well this is just personal experience. Webclaw's Minimum firmware has proven more stable than Tan's. But when SetCPU cranks up the CPU to 1.6ghz I still suffer random reboots even on Webclaw's, and the "ondemand" governor is always pretty much a guaranteed reboot within 30mins of switching onto it (so I avoid it). I've minimised these random reboots by having the handheld run at a reduced CPU during "normal" usage, and only cranks it up for gaming. Doing this has significantly decreased the random reboots. Also the lack of Play store compatibility has been a little annoying but this has been resolved in Version 2. Once Version 2 is a little seasoned I intend to switch over to it.

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 02:47:59 pm »
Daeymon was you one of the people who used Tan's 1.7/1.8 of that worked for a while and then did'nt?

I'm using web claws 1st firmwares kernel on my T unit, seems fine.
I'm waiting to see if they can get vsync/HDMI fixed before I mess with v2.

I used Tan's very briefly and did'nt like the changes in it, my vote is web claw it's a more conservative clean up then tans.

Daeymon (OP)

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 03:02:29 pm »
Nah just used Version 2 of Tan's, and installed the update patches as they became available.

gvilhena

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 12:12:44 pm »
Keep this in mind, and it does not matter the brand (this applies to all electronic devices)... one person can have no problems while the other person with the same model could have problems when you are try to increase performance.

Tan's firmware worked with no problems  at 1.7 ghz (1.8 ghz caused it to reboot, 1.9 ghz could not even boot), bard's tail with the HD texture download, ran ok even on 1.4 ghz, great on 1.6 ghz and i really do not have to say anything on 1.7 ghz. yet other people with the same unit have it running on 1.8 ghz fully stable (not the best battery life, but they have no reboots... heck some people even had it on 1.9 with no real problems) Tan's firmware i thought was done very well.

currently i am using 'webclaw2-0131', i find that the battery lose on 1.7 ghz was to much and on 1.6 ghz it gives me the best battery to gaming performance. I will be honest i feel that webclaw's on 1.6 ghz feels more efficient than tan's on the same ghz. I like how tan's uses 5+ ghz for internal memory over Webclaw's 2 ghz, but overall i still think webclaws is better (if you are looking at 1.6 ghz)