Poll

What matters most to you?

Better Google Store compatibility.
28 (18.8%)
Correct HDMI / vSync video out issues.
18 (12.1%)
More speed, more power!
64 (43%)
Swap 'SDCard' and 'USB Storage' functionality.
28 (18.8%)
Other (leave comment).
11 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 149

Author Topic: Version 2: S7800B 1.6GHz - (Tweaked+vSync Fix+60Hz+Apex Launcher) ROMs  (Read 197318 times)

kristianity77

@kristianity77; my 1.0X firmware did not fix any vSync issues.
The fact that you did not notice any issues with 1.0X firmware makes.. we'll your feedback less than creditable (as all S7800B units had choppy / frame drop issues on X264 video playback). The fact you didn't notice this is awesome (for you), but bad new (for me). I hope that makes sense!

Thanks for your feedback regarding 2.X - I'll keep that in mind. At present I think it best we get more beta testers involved.

I didnt say I didnt notice issues,all i said was is that the video played alot better on the device than it did over HDMI.  And all ive stated about 2.0 is that again, it plays better on the device than it does over HDMI.  To be honest when it comes to video playback I possibly dont notice the issues as much as I do with other areas.
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

Joe Sixpack

@kristianity77; my 1.0X firmware did not fix any vSync issues.
The fact that you did not notice any issues with 1.0X firmware makes.. we'll your feedback less than creditable (as all S7800B units had choppy / frame drop issues on X264 video playback). The fact you didn't notice this is awesome (for you), but bad new (for me). I hope that makes sense.
Actually it,s hit and miss.
The 78's have problems with h263 also (divx/xvid) in 360/480p
Yet I have a 1080p copy of night of the living dead in h264 that runs just about perfect.
I don't think the issue is an under powered CPU, the hardware decoder should handle most of the heavy lifting on that anyway.

As for the DRM I seen a setting in dev options to disable HDCP iirc it made no difference on or off but I'll double check tomorrow.

Kris is credable , they was the first to notice the HDMI issue.

WebClaw (OP)

Alright then. Looks like revisit the RK616 chip. Sigh.
Would be nice to know what is causing this.

Joe Sixpack

Does WebClaw even pay attention to this thread anymore?  There's an unfortunate pattern of ROM devs abandoning threads lately.  First TanWorks, now WebClaw...  It's not so much a criticism as it is simply an unfortunate observation.

Yes, I'm still around. I'm currently working on this in my spare time.
Right now I'm working on a new patched kernel that is showing promise to resolve the video issues (frame drop). Once that's complete I'll see what comments there are and release an update to my ROM.

On another note, this thread is full of requests and only and handful of thanks / appreciation. Kinda kills my desire to release any new kernels when all people do is download / install and never comment / thank for developers hard work. As an example over 6000 people downloaded my firmware - that's a crapload of downloads.
well if i had,nt said it before, Thank You.
Ok brilliant.  :) does your device then when hooked up via HDMI not slow down at all? As in does it remain a constant 60fps exactly the same as it would be without the HDMI plugged in?

Yes, but I have a RK3188 unit - I would guess bet money you have a RK3188-T unit.

Edit:
My patches hate these T chips as the volt tables are completely different. The fact you stated the FPS increased suggests its a hardware issue.
ya Skelton had cautioned that in the past about the T units maybe interpret voltage values different.
How do you verify core voltage? Or is it a best guess?

BTW any problems with repacking the kernel on this?
Or are the video fixes beyond a kernel swap?

WebClaw (OP)

It was tricky but I got it done. The kernel did hate me for a bit.
The fixes are both in and outside the Kernel.

001 and 002 work flawlessly for me (not testing HDMI).

Joe Sixpack

Alright then. Looks like revisit the RK616 chip. Sigh.
Would be nice to know what is causing this.
I'll see if I can find the source of that notld copy I have, or maybe I can split it with out loosing the magic that makes it one of the few well playing videos.

And post it for testing, in case any was wondering notld is public domain, I just don't want to upload 1.8gb on my lousy 1mbps upstream connection
It was tricky but I got it done. The kernel did hate me for a bit.
The fixes are both in and outside the Kernel.

001 and 002 work flawlessly for me (not testing HDMI).
ah so I can't just swap the kernel then?
I've been running a repartitioned 1.1.4 stock with your old kernel, has worked pretty well, was hoping you got vsync/HDMI fixed it would be equally as simple to get the benefit on stock.

WebClaw (OP)

No, sorry it's not that simple. The fix involves both the kernel and system images.

WebClaw (OP)

On an HDMI related note, I've got one other idea I didn't think would work (but now seeing my device actually boots ) maybe it's worth a try.

I'll post another version here shortly (pending my device starts).

scrag85

Does this rom fix the root so the external sd card acts as the root and internal 8gb acts as extra space?

mitcher78

Thank you WebClaw for keep updating your custom rom. The VSync issue fix is very welcome!

nicole ridgway

@WebClaw. First of all, I want to THANK YOU for your hard work. Been using your 1.0 firmware and it works perfectly for what I'm doing by now (reading comics & books, some PS games).
I will try 2.0 as soon as I can...but before installing I have a couple of questions:

01. Can I upload them in my Drive? Or, if you wish, I can make a folder with your email and give you read&write permissions so that you can upload them directly in my Drive.

02. What is the difference between
webclaw2.00.img: 300 Mb
webclaw2-001.img: 507 Mb
webclaw2-002.zip: 300 Mb

Thanks again!
JXD S7800b Utilities driver

www.tinyurl.com/jxds7800bd

the_randomizer

@WebClaw. First of all, I want to THANK YOU for your hard work. Been using your 1.0 firmware and it works perfectly for what I'm doing by now (reading comics & books, some PS games).
I will try 2.0 as soon as I can...but before installing I have a couple of questions:

01. Can I upload them in my Drive? Or, if you wish, I can make a folder with your email and give you read&write permissions so that you can upload them directly in my Drive.

Thanks again!

I believe they're the bug fixes for the custom firmware, with 002 being the most recent, 003 should be the one to come next  ;D  :P

WebClaw (OP)

Thanks again!

These are micro-builds - I wouldn't waste time saving / uploading them.

Here is my version / release notations:
Eg: X.ABC

Where X is a major [stable] version.
Where A is a maintenance release [stable] version.
Where B is a minor [stable] version change.
Where C is a micro [unstable] version change.

webclaw2.00.img = as noted in the description.
webclaw2.001.img = includes Google Play Patch, and updated HDMI + video drivers (resolved tearing over HDMI).
webclaw2.002.img = includes a newer Google Play Patch, and updated HDMI + video drivers + hardware render update (.002 video components of .002 will not be furthered as it broke more than it fixed).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 10:14:54 pm by WebClaw »

WebClaw (OP)

Does this rom fix the root so the external sd card acts as the root and internal 8gb acts as extra space?

This is not a "fix", that's a preference.
Trust me, if I added this preference I would have said so in the description.

Going forward if I don't note / mention anything please assume it's not addressed (saves me having to reply). If you want to make a suggestion, that's something different.

the_randomizer

These are micro-builds - I wouldn't waste time saving / uploading them.

webclaw2.00.img = as noted in the description.
webclaw2.001.img = includes Google Play Patch, and updated HDMI + video drivers (resolved tearing over HDMI).
webclaw2.002.img = includes a newer Google Play Patch, and updated HDMI + video drivers + hardware render update (.002 video components of .002 will not be furthered as it broke more than it fixed).

Oh, then, uh, I'd best delete that from my HDD, I downloaded 2.002.img in preparation for my S7800...yeah. Probably should wait.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic