Author Topic: Version 2: S7800B 1.6GHz - (Tweaked+vSync Fix+60Hz+Apex Launcher) ROMs  (Read 318279 times)

WebClaw (OP)

Current Version: webclaw-tw116-9.img:

This is a collection of ROM's for all JXD S7800B devices (3188 & 3188-T SoC's). These ROM's include a working vSync fix (resolves frame dropping issues) in games and when playing back video / movies. Battery life is also significantly increased! Includes all previous stock JXD fixes, my previous "WebClaw ROM v1.0.2" fixes as well as SD Card Swap w/better Google Play Store compatibility.

I've tried to include fixes, patches, and features based on everyone's feedback ("some people like this, some people like that") - hence the ROM collection.

On another note, the new Kernels (dubbed by JXD as version 1.1.5 and / or KitKat versions) are [currently] terrible. I won't be creating a new / updated 1.X ROM as I think we've all beaten the 1.X versions to death. Hopefully JXD will come up with something good w/KitKat.

Over 42000+ downloads!

webclaw-tw116-9*.img: (recommended - CPU speed is not everything).
Code: [Select]
CPU @ 1.6GHz
GPU OC @ 600MHz (better performance for PSP and PSX games).
RAM OC @ 600MHz (better performance for PSP and PSX games).
vSync issues fixed!
Removed (Stupid) Applications
New Apex Launcher - no more missing icons!
2GB/4GB/6GB NAND Storage (option)
Fixed JXD keymapper update system.
SD Card / NAND Swapped (option)
Play Store Fixes w/Improved Play Store Compatibility
Performance updated MALI (video) drivers
Built on my WebClaw 1-02 Kernel
Added CIFS Support
Updated WiFi drivers

Download: (2GB NAND): http://www.kinderwater.info/webclaw/webclaw-tw116-9-VSYNC(2GB).zip
Download: (4GB NAND): http://www.kinderwater.info/webclaw/webclaw-tw116-9-VSYNC(4GB).zip
Download: (6GB NAND): http://www.kinderwater.info/webclaw/webclaw-tw116-9-VSYNC(6GB).zip
Download: (2GB NAND + SD / NAND Swap): http://www.kinderwater.info/webclaw/webclaw-tw116-9-VSYNC(2GB)SWAP.zip
Download: (4GB NAND + SD / NAND Swap): http://www.kinderwater.info/webclaw/webclaw-tw116-9-VSYNC(4GB)SWAP.zip
Download: (6GB NAND + SD / NAND Swap): http://www.kinderwater.info/webclaw/webclaw-tw116-9-VSYNC(6GB)SWAP.zip

Stupidity / Leech / Google Translate Check Leech to Every Forum in the World Check:
Code: [Select]
If I was a complicated username in a world of pumpkins I would be dingoonity and snappy password is my name in lower-CASE.

* Note that the GPU OC works on non-T series only; for those who have devices made post October 2013 the CPU will run at 1.6GHz but the GPU will max at 466MHz (which is still technically an OC). Attempts to bypass this (and allow the 600MHz GPU OC on all devices) resulted in choppy performance is PSX and PSP emulators. In all cases the DDR RAM will run at the same speed as the GPU (466MHz with T series and 600MHz with non T series devices).

Change Log:
117.9 // New vSync fix technique, build.prop changes (Nexus 7), updated some APK's, updated SU, updated SU binary, updated Apex Launcher.
117.8 // Beta of newer 1.5 kernels (too many issues so stopped development) - new JXD ROM team = idiots. Sticking with 1.02b kernel.
117.7 // Fixed resolution changer, removed JXD launcher, added Apex Launcher, modified build.prop, added CIFS support, new WiFi drivers
116.6 // Skipped (introduced some graphical issues).
116.5 // more build.prop changes (Samsung S4), fixed charging powered off bug, fixed stuttering bugs, fixed resume from sleep.
116.4 // build.prop and boot.img optimizations.
116.3 // Reverted back to 1.02b kernel - solved stuttering issues.
116.2 // Added new launcher, added 4GB options, cleaned up additional applications. Introduced Mali and DDR OC's.
116.1 // Initial release 4GB options, updated PlayStore hack. Fixed JXD Keymapper. Added vSync fix. Imported fixes from 1-02.

Removed (Stupid) Applications:
WifiDisplay.apk (simply put, it doesn't work right)
RkApkinstaller.apk
RkExplorer.apk (just about anything off the Play Store is better - serious users get Root Explorer)
+ anything else Chinese (bloatware crap)

* All ROM's are properly rooted with the latest SU binary and SuperSU apk. Emulators run at 60Hz.

Installation:
1. Download Rockchip Batch Tool 1.7: http://www.cloudstor.es/file/m1_OTM0OA/
2. Connect your S7800B to your computer via USB 2.0 (avoid USB 3.0 ports).
3. Power up your device and run the file RKBatchTool.exe (requires administrator) on your computer.
4. You'll note the tool shows a pink color indicating the status (device is connected).
5. Click the "Switch" button and your device will reboot. Install drivers via Device Manager.
6. Press the "Reset" button your device, wait for it to boot up.
7. Again, click the "Switch" button, this time the area above will turn green - programming mode ready (if it doesn't you didn't install the driver).
8. Select the desired flash image file (.img) and press "Restore".

* Boot.img (root and charging fixes), Kernel.img (overclock and general function) and System.img (vSync + JXD fixes) have been modified - you can't simply replace the Kernel. A full "Restore" is required.

Known Issues:
  • HDMI video output capped at 42FPS (max).

Why are there so many ROM releases?
The JXD S7800B is a pretty unique device. Two versions of this unit exist, and each require a different kernel to get the best speed of out them. Fix one issue, and it breaks RK3188-T devices, fix another and RK3188 users have problems. It's very hard to balance both. Competition out there really is focused on RK3188-T devices - which means they are slower but only have a single kernel (so modifications are easy to test). Further, there were many ROM versions released by JXD (.05, .08, .09, .14, and .16). JXD never released very good release notes on what changes were in these ROM's. This doesn't help ROM developers like me as now I and the community have to test things to find out! Lastly, JXD has not released the a source Kernel, so updates and fixes are nothing more than hackjobs.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 01:05:11 am by WebClaw »

kristianity77

Yes, after pounding my head against numerous walls for countless hours I've got it working!
A stable ~23 to ~25 FPS on 1080P with proper HW acceleration videos.

Testing File:
modern.family.s04e20.1080p.hdtv.x264-nts.mkv

Video Codec:
H264 1920x1074

Audio Sound:
AC3 48000Hz @ 6 Channels (go big for go home).

Average FPS (20 minute average):

Testing HDMI output issues today, if all works a version 2.0 of my firmware will be released. It's not all kittens an puppies - there is a small (non performance related catch). I'll keep you guys posted.

Excellent news!  Incidently, on your S7800, are you getting the issues some of us are getting with HDMI out?  IE the supposed 41-42Fps limit?  Or do you think you may have solved that?
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

WebClaw (OP)

Testing HDMI output issues today, if all works a version 2.0 of my firmware will be released. It's not all kittens an puppies - there is a small (non performance related catch). I'll keep you guys posted.

the_randomizer

Keep up the good work, WebClaw! You're doing an awesome job!  ;D

WebClaw (OP)

Bump, I've decided to put release it early for a public beta. ~ 'njoy.
@the_randomizer - thanks.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 10:21:54 pm by WebClaw »

kristianity77

Many thanks for this have just tried it out.  Doesn't appear to make any difference to me though regarding the HDMI issues.  Im still stuck at 41FPS on any app rather than 60.  If I use retroarch its reporting back to me 41.568hz over HDMI.

EDIT:

Actually it is slightly different to last time.

Last time, with an FPS counter on (on your previous firmware), it would hover between 41 and 42 FPS.  But now it goes from around 44fps up to 52.  So the performance is higher than it was, although less stable.

Also, which I've never had before over HDMI im getting pretty bad screen tearing.  Not if i scroll the screen from right to left or left to right, but up or down (this is obviously only over HDMI, not normally).  With your past firmware I wasnt getting screen tear it was just alot slower (the 41-42fps limit)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:08:18 pm by kristianity77 »
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

WebClaw (OP)

Can your jack up your CPU to max?

kristianity77

Yes it will let me go all the way up to 1.6ghz like previous
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

WebClaw (OP)

Yes it will let me go all the way up to 1.6ghz like previous

Not what I meant, does the tearing go away with the CPU ramped up to 1.6GHz?

kristianity77

Sorry, no.  The tearing is there no matter what the CPU setting
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

WebClaw (OP)

Ok, let me change out the mali driver with another version.
I'll upload another version (just for you) - let me know. I don't want to change the download link until we prove it's a change for the better ;-)

kristianity77

Ok brilliant.  :) does your device then when hooked up via HDMI not slow down at all? As in does it remain a constant 60fps exactly the same as it would be without the HDMI plugged in? 
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

WebClaw (OP)

Ok brilliant.  :) does your device then when hooked up via HDMI not slow down at all? As in does it remain a constant 60fps exactly the same as it would be without the HDMI plugged in?

Yes, but I have a RK3188 unit - I would guess bet money you have a RK3188-T unit.

Edit:
My patches hate these T chips as the volt tables are completely different. The fact you stated the FPS increased suggests its a hardware issue.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 03:15:34 am by WebClaw »

WebClaw (OP)

Try this (it also includes the Google Play Store compatibility improvement patch):

- Updated HDMI Driver
- Updated Video Driver
- Updated Video (Mirroring) Driver

http://www.cloudstor.es/file/m1_MTAxMDA/
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 01:47:56 am by WebClaw »

kristianity77

Will do!  Will give it a try now :)

Thanks alot!
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

kristianity77

Try this (it also includes the Google Play Store compatibility improvement patch):

- Updated HDMI Driver
- Updated Video Driver
- Updated Video (Mirroring) Driver

http://www.cloudstor.es/file/m1_MTAxMDA/

Hi

Just tried the new one.  Same results.  Screen tear has now gone, but its still slow over HDMI no matter what the CPU is set to.  Getting the same framerates as  before, anywhere between 44 and 52fps so in any game it results in slowdown and choppy sound unfortunately. As soon as I pull the HDMI cable out though, games shoot straight back upto 60fps.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 03:30:20 am by kristianity77 »
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

WebClaw (OP)

Alright, I've got one more trick up my sleeve... See the end of this post.

Between you and I these RK3188 chips were mainly designed to be powering video to HDMI (video as in video's, movies, tv shows, etc.). The hardware may not good be enough to get 50FPS.

Thanks for the test - I'll keep the updated drivers in the public release as it did some good (resolved the tearing issues).

I'm uploading a .002 version - hopefully that will do the trick or at least provide you a somewhat better performance gain.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 05:59:52 am by WebClaw »

kristianity77

The does seem somewhat odd though.  Take a gameboy emulator for instance.  On the tablet alone, this will run full speed at the 500mhz setting at 60fps.  If i connect the HDMI up whilst the tablet is still set to 500 mhz then it will drop to 45 fps on the tablet, and show 45 fps on the tv.  However, if then take the S7800 all the way up to 1.6ghz, i get absolutely zero improvement. 
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

WebClaw (OP)

Using HDMI uses a few extra drivers and uses separate DRM routines in the kernel (which I don't have the source for). Which means all we can do is patch around the kernel.

As an example - finding the solution to the vSync bug took about 8 hours in a hex editor (and I knew what needed to be changed). Given I don't have the kernel source, don't know what needs to be changed, and without any support from JXD, tracking down the problem is like finding a needle in a hay stack.

You can try this (.002) - it's boasted the best performance during my testing.
http://www.cloudstor.es/file/m1_MTAxMDY/

I think it best for the WebClaw v2 ROM release to focus on vSync issues and leave HDMI to the guys who have the kernel source.

Face it, JXD should be asking us dev's to work for them.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 03:45:24 am by WebClaw »

kristianity77

Ill give it a whirl!  :)
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

Post a new topic