Author Topic: Media Streaming on S7800  (Read 2382 times)

kristianity77 (OP)

Media Streaming on S7800
« on: February 19, 2014, 12:03:04 am »
This is gonna sound a bit dumb but this is something i've never attempted before so wouldn;t really know where to start.  Basically, is it possible?

I have on my laptop a load of films which if i copy over by SD card to the S7800, they will play on any software I try them on.  The question is, what if I dont want to copy them.  What if I want the tablet to see the films on the laptop over the network and stream them.  I understand the sharing and windows side of it, but what do I need to do with regards to the S7800? What app(s) do I need and can I even do it?
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

Pleng

Re: Media Streaming on S7800
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 03:41:34 am »
Some people have had luck setting up shares by adding some additional files to the firmware and using cifsmanager, but I personally could never get it working. Alternatively you could set up someting like Plex media server or (my preferance)Serviio and stream your media across the network via any browser.

Drem

• Russian Android/Dingo/GCW/gaming gadgets blog
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 04:13:48 am »
There are tons of media streaming apps and players in Google Play.

hippy dave

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 07:05:55 am »
I've used bsplayer myself, but yeah there are loads.

mobyd

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 04:10:33 pm »
I use plex on my 7300 because I allready was using it on my Roku. Works perfectly. Serviio that pleng mentioned looks like the same thing only free. I think I snagged Plex on sale for .99 . Plex is supposed to even work over the internet but I have never tried that, only used it on my home network.

kristianity77 (OP)

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 04:19:52 pm »
I went for one in the end called Airstream.  But then was hit by the fact that the Wifi is a bit poor on the device.  So my idea of streaming films whilst in bed has take a bit of a nosedive!  :'(
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

Pleng

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 05:38:47 am »
@mobyd - I threw Plex under the bus because I'm one of the rare few who has all my media organized in my filesystem and Plex provides no folder based navigation - and it's library system only appears to work if you name your files the way they want them.

I think Plex is probably more advanced in the transcoding department - I think you can choose the quality you prefer when streaming with Plex?

@kristianity77

If you set up a server to transcode your videos you can watch them in reduced quality at a lower bit rate. In Serviio this is possible by adding a line to the Generic profile in profiles.xlm (something you are warned NOT to do, but it's the easiest way) to force transscoding and you can specify a maximum bit rate.

You can then use and DNLA enabled media browser (I use MediaBox on my generic Android TV box, and just use Chrome browser on my JXD) to view the content at the reduced bitrate

mobyd

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 06:39:39 am »
@mobyd - I threw Plex under the bus because I'm one of the rare few who has all my media organized in my filesystem and Plex provides no folder based navigation - and it's library system only appears to work if you name your files the way they want them.

I think Plex is probably more advanced in the transcoding department - I think you can choose the quality you prefer when streaming with Plex?

I only use Plex because I allready had it for my Roku. I do have a problem with it renaming some of my movies itself to the wrong movies. I do like that it will automatically get the cover art to display. I have used it for music but it seems to get a little bogged down with my 80G music library when navigating.

smiffy92

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 12:14:02 am »
Im using minidlna on Linux and bubbleupnp on Android side (usually use mxplayer to play the movies).
Streams fine with no hiccups round the house (only tried to 720 though).

Post a new topic