Author Topic: JXD s7800b - unsuccessful attempt to install Webclaw's firmware - help! RESOLVED  (Read 6591 times)

tintin (OP)

Well I finally took the plunge and tried to install Webclaw's minimal tweak firmware.  After a few attempts with my device not being recognized, it finally turned green and rebooted!
My device hasn't bricked but I'm just not sure I've got what I wanted!  I think the problem is all mine because I just can't get my head around the "install drivers via device manager" after switching and device rebooting!
What drivers exactly?  Where are they?  And what do I do exactly??"
I'm sorry but I'm just totally lost here, pathetic as it sounds! My guide for this installation was a Spanish youtube video showing how to install supercharged.  I don't speak Spanish....yeah, I know!
I now find on start up that I cannot find games I previously had on Play Store, or they won't download and I get an error message.  It certainly isn't what Webclaw's tweak offers and I know it is me who has messed up.
Help is much needed!  What should I do now?
If all else fails, how easy is it to get back to stock 1.1.4??
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 01:21:44 pm by tintin »

mitcher78

When you download the Rockchip Batch Tools, there are two folders: the application itself and the drivers. First open the app, then connect the tablet through USB and you will see a pink icon. Then you must click on "switch" and, if the icon does not turn green, this is the moment for drivers installation. Go to the Device Manager under Control Panel/System and you will see a device not recogniced in the list. Update drivers for that device and select a specific location, that is the drivers folder you downloaded. If you have a regular 32 bits Windows version, use the "x86" folder and your windows version, if you have a 64 bit Windos, then you need to select the "x64" folder and then your windows version. After drivers are installed successfully, green icon will sown on. If not, unplug the tablet and repeat the proccess. When icon is green, you can select the WebClaw IMG custom firmware and click on "restore". Be warned that all the data in your SD card will be deleted, so extract it to prevent this.

tintin (OP)

quote] Go to the Device Manager under Control Panel/System and you will see a device not recogniced in the list. Update drivers for that device and select a specific location, that is the drivers folder you downloaded.[/quote]

Thanks Mitcher - I get the bit about opening device manager on my laptop to find unrecognised device.  Do I update drivers by right clicking or what?
Also, once box is green and I can see information loading, is there anything else crucial that I need to do?

kristianity77

There is a one click program that makes the driver installation a piece of cake.  You dont need to connect anything, you just click and run the program and then when its done, you are sorted.  Its much easier than installing them yourself if you are not sure what to do.  Program is here:

http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php/2013/11/08/have-problem-in-install-the-rockchip-drivers-no-worry-rockchip-release-the-drivers-auto-installation-tool-download-here/#.Uxiw3_ldWSp
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

tintin (OP)

Thanks Kristianity - so you just download it and follow the instructions before even connecting device.  will give it a go.

tintin (OP)

Well, thanks to assistance from Mitcher and Kristianity, I finally managed my installation, opting for Webclaw's 4gb NAND version. Downloaded all my apps and inserted properly formatted 64gb card.
Nothing is working properly apart from a TV app. Cannot download any android games from store or Happy Chick and keep getting various error messages like "..... Is not responding" or "insufficient storage."
Am I missing an important trick here or should I just cut my losses and revert to stock? For the moment I just have a glorified TV device! :(

darklight1138

. Be warned that all the data in your SD card will be deleted, so extract it to prevent this.

Huh? I've installed Webclaw's firmware several times with the card in and it's never deleted my data.
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
JXD S7800b (WebClaw 116.5 ROM)
Sony PSP-3000

tintin (OP)

OK, but where am I going wrong?

kristianity77

Dont revert to stock.  My first thing to try would be to just reflash again.  Occasionally you can put a new firmware on and it can seem to be a bit screwy.  Just do it one more time and see if the issue sorts itself out, that would be the first step.

Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

mitcher78

Answering your previous question, you must right click on the device and then on update drivers. In any case, I think that you istalled them succesfully.

Now, your case is very rare. You can try to reflash as say Kristianity, using the restore option, or also try to turn off the tablet and extract your SD card to see if that changes something. Another idea would be reset the tablet to its default values under settings: this will not reflash the rom bu to reset it to its original values.

If you find your SD card is a problem, buy another one or try usin the NO-Swap version of the firmware.

mitcher78

Re: JXD s7800b - unsuccessful attempt to install Webclaw's firmware - help!
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 12:58:01 pm »
. Be warned that all the data in your SD card will be deleted, so extract it to prevent this.

Huh? I've installed Webclaw's firmware several times with the card in and it's never deleted my data.

I though this was advertised by WebClaw himself, but maybe I am wrong!

WebClaw

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 04:23:11 pm »
This does not apply to 116-X versions or non-SD SWAP versions.
Any / all 116 versions will not delete SD card data.

tintin (OP)

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 12:11:31 pm »
OK, I tried Mitcher's tip of resetting and installed the 4gb version this time with no swap. I had limited success and was able to install my favorite apps which actually worked. Games a different story though! Downloaded Dead Trigger which worked fine but NOVA 3 was impossible. Kept saying I had insufficient space on my SD card.  What is going on here? With the old 1.1.4 stock I was able to download Dead Trigger, NOVA 3, GTA 10th Anniversary, and Crazy Taxi, with a little room left over.
I have tried with two different SD cards, 32gb and 64 GB, both properly formatted but I doubt this is problem anyway.
Starting to feel like a zombie myself - shoot me please!

WebClaw

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 04:48:12 pm »
Let's start with the basics -

What does your storage summary say?
Did you remove your SD card anytime during the upgrade to post ROM upgrade (thinking it may not be remounted)?

tintin (OP)

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 07:58:07 am »

Did you remove your SD card anytime during the upgrade to post ROM upgrade (thinking it may not be remounted)?

Hi Webclaw, thanks for your query.  In response to your first question, yes.  Once I had figures out drivers, I clicked switch and then restore and then I realised I had my SD card installed and removed it just as restore was commencing.  That was during the 4gb swap installation.  Guess I shouldn't have, huh, but I had assumed that SD card should be removed throughout installation.

I have since installed 4gb version without switch and this seems to be the most responsive.  I have inserted two different SD cards but I still can't download large Android games apart from Dead Trigger.

In response to your second question - I now have 4gb without switch installed and storage shows 3.45gb available of 3.94 total while NAND shows 1.14gb available of 2.38gb total. Most of the Android games I covet are just under the 1gb mark.

You think I could have damaged the device by my knee jerk reaction. and if so, is there a fix?

PS  Would like to thank you for your sterling work with these firmwares. These problems are all my own doing!!

kristianity77

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 12:20:38 pm »

Hi Webclaw, thanks for your query.  In response to your first question, yes.  Once I had figures out drivers, I clicked switch and then restore and then I realised I had my SD card installed and removed it just as restore was commencing.  That was during the 4gb swap installation.  Guess I shouldn't have, huh, but I had assumed that SD card should be removed throughout installation.

I have since installed 4gb version without switch and this seems to be the most responsive.  I have inserted two different SD cards but I still can't download large Android games apart from Dead Trigger.

In response to your second question - I now have 4gb without switch installed and storage shows 3.45gb available of 3.94 total while NAND shows 1.14gb available of 2.38gb total. Most of the Android games I covet are just under the 1gb mark.

You think I could have damaged the device by my knee jerk reaction. and if so, is there a fix?

PS  Would like to thank you for your sterling work with these firmwares. These problems are all my own doing!!

First and foremost, if you are trying to download android games which are round the 1GB mark you could do with evening up your space a bit over your device.  What I would do is go into setting, and into your apps.  What you want to do is move certain larger apps back over to your main storage.  You have 3.45gb available in one area but only 1.14gb left in the other.  There will be certain apps you have installed that have all the data in the area where you have 1.14gb left.  You can move this data back to free up more space in the area you dont have much left.  Do this for a few of your larger apps where possible so that you end up with more space in the area you have 1.14gb now, but less space in the area where you currently have 3.45gb.  Do this, then try install one of the larger games you are trying again, and see if you get the same problem.
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

tintin (OP)

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 06:58:21 pm »
Hi Kristianity. Thought your suggestion worth a try. There wasn't a big app worth deleting in the smaller section but then I noticed a very large app in misc. called Xaio Ji which turned out to be Happy Chick data. So I deleted it! Now, when I attempted to download Nova 3, there was no refusal and it went on to download and install additional files with the ikon eventually appearing on home screen. Clicked on it, opened it ...and was promptly told that I would need additional space of 880mb and couldn't proceed.
Back to square one. Can't understand how I could have Dead Trigger, Nova 3, GTA 10th Anniversary, Happy Chick, Crazy Taxi and a few other smaller games all installed at same time with stock 1.1.4 given it had the lousy partition problem.
I'm beginning to think I've somehow corrupted my internal storage.
Good idea though Kristianity, thanks.  Do I try to go back to stock or just give up?

kristianity77

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 09:00:29 pm »
Hi Kristianity. Thought your suggestion worth a try. There wasn't a big app worth deleting in the smaller section but then I noticed a very large app in misc. called Xaio Ji which turned out to be Happy Chick data. So I deleted it! Now, when I attempted to download Nova 3, there was no refusal and it went on to download and install additional files with the ikon eventually appearing on home screen. Clicked on it, opened it ...and was promptly told that I would need additional space of 880mb and couldn't proceed.
Back to square one. Can't understand how I could have Dead Trigger, Nova 3, GTA 10th Anniversary, Happy Chick, Crazy Taxi and a few other smaller games all installed at same time with stock 1.1.4 given it had the lousy partition problem.
I'm beginning to think I've somehow corrupted my internal storage.
Good idea though Kristianity, thanks.  Do I try to go back to stock or just give up?

I dont think you have a problem I just think that a lot of the games you you want to play are just really big in size.  This is the part where you really need the install with the SD card swap so all files go on to your 64GB card.  Did you actually try again to flash Webclaws firmware again?  It doesn't sound to me like you have an issue.  Even though in storage it will show what space you have free, it will never allow you to use the full space, mine certainly doesn't.  When my space gets down to about 150mb, then ill get the "insufficient space" issue even if im trying to install a tiny app.

My advice would be to star again.  Use Webclaws firmware with the swap and try again.  It should work.
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

tintin (OP)

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 10:50:56 am »
I dont think you have a problem I just think that a lot of the games you you want to play are just really big in size.  This is the part where you really need the install with the SD card swap so all files go on to your 64GB card.  Did you actually try again to flash Webclaws firmware again?  It doesn't sound to me like you have an issue.  Even though in storage it will show what space you have free, it will never allow you to use the full space, mine certainly doesn't.  When my space gets down to about 150mb, then ill get the "insufficient space" issue even if im trying to install a tiny app.

My advice would be to star again.  Use Webclaws firmware with the swap and try again.  It should work.

Ok, I flashed the swap firmware this morning and first thing I noticed on reboot was a different screensaver and larger icons, which is new.  At work so can't see results until I get home!

tintin (OP)

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 05:48:45 pm »
Well, still not working.  Tried two different SD cards both properly formatted.  Play Store is still a no go area.  Every download fails - keep getting error 492 message.  Tried some 49 fixes and still won't download. 
Was able to install Happy Chick from Play Store but can't even download anything from Happy Chick.

Post a new topic