Author Topic: JXD S7800B Rom - So much choice!...where to begin?  (Read 8424 times)

ClawShrimp (OP)

JXD S7800B Rom - So much choice!...where to begin?
« on: January 26, 2015, 02:47:00 am »
Hi all,

I recently purchased a JXD S7800B from Geekbuying and so far I'm pleasantly surprised.

The build quality is higher than I expected, given past experience with JXD devices (this is my fifth); and what was my biggest concern (the thumb sticks) turned out to be pretty great (although not as good as the G5A) and feel totally fine to me.

My main issue now is choosing a Rom as I have no intention of using the stock Rom long term. Problem is there are a few to choose from (a good problem to have, I admit).

Luigi, WebClaw, Riley, etc all seem like very solid efforts; but which is the best? Bear in mind I'm not a huge fan of Tincore's mapper; but also that as I use my device only for emulators I've never needed to use a mapper anyway.

Any advice or opinions from people using the various Roms outs there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 10:51:13 am by ClawShrimp »
Proud owner of
Sony Xperia Play - JXD S5110 - JXD S603 - JXD S5100 - JXD S7300 - JXD S7800B - GPD G5A

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards...checkmate!

GRiM

Re: JXD S7800B Rom - So much choice!...where to begin?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 02:58:57 am »
Try them and find out.  It's part of the fun!

ClawShrimp (OP)

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 05:22:41 am »
Try them and find out.  It's part of the fun!

Haha...thanks for the advice, GRiM.

I'd prefer to hear people's opinions before I take the plunge. I think it's a better use of my time to select one Rom I know will suit me rather than try multiple Roms.
Proud owner of
Sony Xperia Play - JXD S5110 - JXD S603 - JXD S5100 - JXD S7300 - JXD S7800B - GPD G5A

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards...checkmate!

Mozzy

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 08:14:43 am »
In short, ive tried nearly all of them that i know of in the last few months
but always go back to Prometheum Custom firmware U1 cos i too prefer the original mapper!!

http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/%28s7800b%29-prometheum-custom-firmware-%28tweaked1-56mhzthumbstick-fix5-6gb-nand%29/

philenotfound

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 08:27:19 am »
For me lujji's Android 4.4.4 has the the best experience so far. Fast, snappy and stable. Also not a lot of preinstalled stuff and all easily uninstallable (without Titanium Backup et al).

DKM

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 04:27:25 pm »
I'm waiting for my JXD S7800b to get here, I bought it from geekbuying too, but I definitely will be flashing lujji's rom, for what I have read is the best option as of now.

ClawShrimp (OP)

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 11:58:08 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I've decided to test both the Prometheum and Luigi roms. However, I'm now having trouble flashing either of them.

On my laptop I can I always get a 'Switch Fail' message
On my desktop I get a Switch Done message, but the icon doesn't turn green (meaning the device isn't connected anymore).

I've flashed many Android devices before and never had issues like this.
Proud owner of

153stars

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 12:56:00 am »
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I've decided to test both the Prometheum and Luigi roms. However, I'm now having trouble flashing either of them.

On my laptop I can I always get a 'Switch Fail' message
On my desktop I get a Switch Done message, but the icon doesn't turn green (meaning the device isn't connected anymore).

I've flashed many Android devices before and never had issues like this.
http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/(s7800)-kitkat-custom-firmware-(android-4-4-4)/45/
Read problems on this page scroll down to the post where I included two links for loading driver and luijjis directions . You don't have to load loader V2 to go to kit kat fro jelly bean but have to load V1 to go back. Anyway you probably don't have driver installed right included from RK batch tools it's in luijjis package. Go over both directions .
This thread is where I couldn't get the boot loader tool to work explained best I could
http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/can't-get-version-2-loader-to-flash-to-install-new-kit-kat-custom-rom/
 It was the driver
EDIT ;
Actually pogodancers directions in his rom package sorry for mistake.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 03:46:43 am by 153stars »

darklight1138

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 02:05:06 am »
If I had the internet speeds, I'd be glad to download all the roms, try them out and post a review on YT. Unfortunately, my speeds are really, really terrible. Unfortunately, due to some bad life situations, I no longer have high speed and have to resort to tethering my netbook to my pay-by-month phone. They cap me pretty quick and the result is like taking a trip back about 20 years. It's awful.

So I wish someone would post something like that. Run some benchmarks. Show some footage from games between different roms so we can see how different roms handle different games. List pros and cons. Etc.

For me, I not only have very limited internet but HD space as well, since I no longer have my desktop. So I'd want a backup or the original ROM file for my current config. For me to upgrade, it would take a lot of time and work, so I like to read a lot of experiences before taking the plunge on a ROM.

Good thread and I hope we can get some critiques, comparisons and good opinions.
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
JXD S7800b (WebClaw 116.5 ROM)
Sony PSP-3000

153stars

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 05:52:00 am »
If I had the internet speeds, I'd be glad to download all the roms, try them out and post a review on YT. Unfortunately, my speeds are really, really terrible. Unfortunately, due to some bad life situations, I no longer have high speed and have to resort to tethering my netbook to my pay-by-month phone. They cap me pretty quick and the result is like taking a trip back about 20 years. It's awful.

So I wish someone would post something like that. Run some benchmarks. Show some footage from games between different roms so we can see how different roms handle different games. List pros and cons. Etc.

For me, I not only have very limited internet but HD space as well, since I no longer have my desktop. So I'd want a backup or the original ROM file for my current config. For me to upgrade, it would take a lot of time and work, so I like to read a lot of experiences before taking the plunge on a ROM.

Good thread and I hope we can get some critiques, comparisons and good opinions.
CAN YOU GET TO A PLACE WITH FREE WIFI .Seems like everyone likes luijjis kitkat it's bundled with extra apps, cuts out the junk,rooted , has several patches for overclock ,partition sizes,nand switch and size ,no major bugs, and he is currently fixing any issues, should have up to date drivers from JXD that are in the stock rom . Stock rooted rom by pogodancer if you need to keep stock keymapper. They have built on best stock rom released by JXD.

ClawShrimp (OP)

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 06:26:47 am »
I've just installed Lujji's rom, and it seems pretty good with one major exception...that damn sleep bug!

I wanted to try Webclaws rom (which I believe doesn't have this issue) but the links on page 1 of that thread are all dead.

Seriously...nothing is ever easy.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 06:41:18 am by ClawShrimp »
Proud owner of

153stars

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 08:50:07 am »
What is the sleep bug, is it having to push the power button to wake back up instead of touch screen ? I don't have to relaunch or anything just a quick tap and unlock slide. That how my Android phone works.
You never said what the flashing problem ended being. Solutions help us newbies
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 08:55:16 am by 153stars »

ClawShrimp (OP)

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 09:33:09 am »
The sleep bug is where the device won't go into standby mode. A short press of the power button (or a period of inactivity) shuts the device down completley.

Very frustrating.
Proud owner of

153stars

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 11:38:20 am »
I have lujjis and pogodancer stock haven't noticed that, just a quick power button push and swipe back in action.

ClawShrimp (OP)

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 12:40:32 pm »
I have lujjis and pogodancer stock haven't noticed that, just a quick power button push and swipe back in action.

It isn't an issue with all models. It apparently depends on when it was manufactured. But the problem can be fixed by flashing a specific kernel...something I've had no luck with so far.
Proud owner of

GRiM

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 02:09:03 am »
I've just installed Lujji's rom, and it seems pretty good with one major exception...that damn sleep bug!

I wanted to try Webclaws rom (which I believe doesn't have this issue) but the links on page 1 of that thread are all dead.

This issue was fixed in the newer kernels.  You can flash a fixed kernel or flash a rom that comes with it.  Which rom did you flash?

ClawShrimp (OP)

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 03:45:53 am »

This issue was fixed in the newer kernels.  You can flash a fixed kernel or flash a rom that comes with it.  Which rom did you flash?

I've tried both Lujji's rom and Maetel's Prometheum rom. Both had the sleep bug.

Do you know which rom(s) have the newer kernel included?
Proud owner of

GRiM

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 05:55:36 am »

I've tried both Lujji's rom and Maetel's Prometheum rom. Both had the sleep bug.

Do you know which rom(s) have the newer kernel included?

Strange,  lujji latest rom should already have the fixed kernel.   

Flash this over it..
http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/%28s7800%29%28kernel%29-fixed-kernel-power-button-refresh-rate-audio-noise/msg117674/#msg117674

The above kernel will also work on Prometheam rom and others.

Alternatively you can use this custom rom that has the latest Kitkat build and stock kernel and doesnt have the bug.  The rom also uses the stock keymapper instead of the Tincore app.
http://www.arctablet.com/blog/forum/crewrktablets-rk3188-entwicklung-customroms-development-croms/jxd-s7800b-gamepad-8gb-kitkat-stock-rom/

It's what I currently have on device.

ClawShrimp (OP)

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 06:54:27 am »
Thanks, GRiM.

I didn't realise there was a newer version of lujji's rom. I downloaded it from the original thread (http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/(s7800)-kitkat-custom-firmware-(android-4-4-4)/)

I think I'll give pogodancer's rom a go as I do prefer the stock keymapper.
Proud owner of