Author Topic: JXD S601 New android console from JXD with shoulder buttons!!!  (Read 452876 times)

SNESFAN

Re: JXD S601 New android console from JXD with shoulder buttons!!!
« Reply #480 on: February 27, 2012, 11:19:06 am »
The spl I think its called allows you to boot from SD that's why you can halt your device by putting a non functioning uimage recovery on your SD card.

Aside from hardware failure and as long as your battery holds a charge this thing should be really hard to brick.

SuperMatt100

« Reply #481 on: February 27, 2012, 11:32:38 am »
@hurley i found a video with some mame emulation on it http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=h_-NzIbXvpU#t=279s

Gman

« Reply #482 on: February 27, 2012, 11:51:40 am »
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 12:06:59 am by Gman »

moofree

« Reply #483 on: February 27, 2012, 01:06:11 pm »
Looks like gta3 has all the buttons bound to buttons 0-9
I've cooked up a GTA3-specific replacement qwerty.kl file to go in the /system/usr/keylayout/ directory (back up your original first)
It's not perfect, but I've got most of the functions bound to a button.

edit: found that if you alter your build.prop to resemble the the xperia play, GTA changes its button layout. I'll have to try snesfan's layout with it...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 04:22:34 pm by moofree »

SNESFAN

« Reply #484 on: February 27, 2012, 02:00:23 pm »
there are some programs that will let you map hardware keys to scancodes if it's just for one or two apps, I can't seem to find the page right now, but it's the same solution for a per app profile using an iCP with bluezIME. You could use that app instead of using my modified qwerty.kl, I just did it like that to get as much of a xperia play experience as possible.

edit: found that if you alter your build.prop to resemble the the xperia play, GTA changes its button layout. I'll have to try snesfan's layout with it...

there is one drawback from modding the build.prop in this way... some games are coded for the Qualcom Adreno 205 rather than the Mali400 and it throws some stuff off on occasion (dungeon defenders 2 for example)

when you tell the market you have an xperia play it gives you a version of the software that has compatible mappings or exclusive to that handheld... but it sometimes also thinks you have the adreno 205.

it might take some trial and error to figure out what lines can be set to stock S601, and which can be set to Xperia Play and still get everything
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 02:02:58 pm by SNESFAN »

sonicboy

« Reply #485 on: February 27, 2012, 07:00:54 pm »
I have an annoying problem with my jxd. When leaving it on standby for a long time (some hours) it becomes stuck and the screen won't awake when pressing the on button. The only solution is to push the reset button for some time. Could it be that this results from not factory resetting it after upgrading firmware (I didn't do because it wasn't mentionned in the description by jxd, also it rebooted automatically when the update was finished). If so, I guess I should redo the upgrade, if not what could be the matter?

edit: I flashed it, the problem was indeed related to this. Now it's working normal
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:57:15 pm by sonicboy »

bamboori

« Reply #486 on: February 27, 2012, 08:02:44 pm »
how is the battery lif on standby? is it even worth leaving it in that state?
and some other questions:

how do the shoulder buttons feel like when pressed? are they like the letcool shoulders? or like the gba ones? im really curious since im willing to mod my jxd to my gusto button-wise as soon as i can afford one.

hurley

« Reply #487 on: February 27, 2012, 08:13:16 pm »
@hurley i found a video with some mame emulation on it http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=h_-NzIbXvpU#t=279s

thanks matey  i had missed that one!  tbh i'm still wondering do all the other mame games run as smoothly as the one game shown in that youtube clip?   i guess i should assume they generally work great then

SNESFAN

« Reply #488 on: February 27, 2012, 09:03:03 pm »
I have an annoying problem with my jxd. When leaving it on standby for a long time (some hours) it becomes stuck and the screen won't awake when pressing the on button. The only solution is to push the reset button for some time. Could it be that this results from not factory resetting it after upgrading firmware (I didn't do because it wasn't mentionned in the description by jxd, also it rebooted automatically when the update was finished). If so, I guess I should redo the upgrade, if not what could be the matter?

you can try factory resetting, doesn't sound like normal behavior. Do you have anything weird running like a task killer, alternate home launcher, custom lock screen app?

Also you don't have setcpu or anything installed either do you? Setting your cpu below the normal "minimum freq" will cause the device to be non-responsive to wakeup stuff.

try factory resetting and just install the normal emulators/games and see if you can pinpoint more specifically what you are doing that is causing the freeze if it happens agian.

how is the battery lif on standby? is it even worth leaving it in that state?
and some other questions:

how do the shoulder buttons feel like when pressed? are they like the letcool shoulders? or like the gba ones? im really curious since im willing to mod my jxd to my gusto button-wise as soon as i can afford one.
stanby for me is ~5% per 12 hours with the power save wifi sleep policy in the build.prop (non-stock) also make sure you set that in wifi settings menu or just turn off wifi when not using it.

EDIT: right now sitting at 80% battery and have been away from charger for 2 days 17 hours.... wifi has been using 49% of the total consumption

actual runtime is about 4-5 hours give or take depending on what you are doing.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:41:11 pm by SNESFAN »

TriVerse

« Reply #489 on: February 27, 2012, 10:34:35 pm »
@hurley  I have played various arcade games on my JXD (modded as per SNESFan's guide) and so far, they run fine.  I have experienced some hiccups in stuff like Double Dragon 3 but that could be due to the game being rather bad.  Final Fight and Crime Fighters run great and those, honestly, are my main reason for having MAME installed- anything past them is icing on the cake.

Gman

« Reply #490 on: February 28, 2012, 12:32:45 am »
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 12:06:44 am by Gman »

moofree

« Reply #491 on: February 28, 2012, 05:12:26 am »
Could someone see if Minecraft works on the JXD S601? Mebe some screenshots and if theres any lag please report.  Thanks! ;)
Minecraft runs fine, but I haven't found any movement keys to bind the d-pad to. I don't notice any major slowdown.
Right now it's almost unplayable with single-touch.

I'm sure this is something that can be worked around; possibly with an xperia play specific build.

Currently, at least the L trigger attacks and square brings up the block inventory...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 05:16:09 am by moofree »

skelton

« Reply #492 on: February 28, 2012, 07:17:08 am »
I've testing the new mame4droid Reloades emulator (new version by seleuco) ad it runs incredibly slow, so it is not playable at all. We need some overclocking to our machine (I`ve seen that "products" like zenithlink c91 runs at 1 ghz without problems.....
Retired

sonicboy

« Reply #493 on: February 28, 2012, 06:01:32 pm »
I've flashed my jxd today and re-installed everything, but i'm unable to use market. I only see some programs, not the whole supply of apps. I used the tutorial on p18 of this forum. How should I enable it again?

edit: I uninstalled market through root explorer (/system/apps) and re-installed, now i have full access
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:56:41 pm by sonicboy »

skelton

« Reply #494 on: February 28, 2012, 10:18:14 pm »
Have you changed your build.prop? You need to do it in order that market believes we have an Xperiaplay.
Retired

sparkyidr

« Reply #495 on: February 29, 2012, 06:07:51 am »
Looks like I might be out of luck.
After 2 or 3 emails back and forth between myself and ishare (they asked me to blow into the speaker with a hairdryer............), they eventually came back and said something like "We wonder if you have a solution to this problem"...hmmmmm
I asked if they would replace it, and they have not got back to me since.

So I thought I would investigate.
Took the back off, and noticed the speaker wires had some crushing (and the bare wire was exposed on the +ve)
Figuring that was the issue, I trimmed back the wires past the crushing, and stripped them ready to re-solder.
Before I soldered though, just did a quick test by touching the wires to the solder points....and nothing  :(
So I thought maybe the speaker was dead. Did a quick test by touching the +ve and -ve to the terminals of a AAA battery...and sure enough, the speaker puts out static. So the speaker is fine.
Seems like the 601 isn't sending anything to it  :(

Alas.. I am not good enough with electronics to figure out any more than that.

It still works fine with headphones, but I don't always want to play with the phones on.

bummer.

You should probably see what isharegifts says first (they'll probably require you to pay shipping back to china   >:( )

Cheers for the internals. Might well come in handy!

Yeah. I emailed them last night... They got back to me pretty quick, but mainly to ask the obvious questions like...was I sure I had the volume up!

Anwyays, I replied back saying I was sure it was a hardware fault and had factory restored etc etc, but have heard nothing back from them as of yet. But fingers crossed, hopefully they will replace it.

moofree

« Reply #496 on: February 29, 2012, 06:17:39 am »
Can someone check is this thing has an otg? ::)
Negative.  >:(
I even tried my spliced up cable I use for my Atrix 2 which is otg with +5v and ground connected to an external 5v source.  Also tried through a hub. None worked.

I think I remember seeing some stuff in the dmesg about usb host.
I initially thought that the wifi module was running off this usb host, but since it's only running on 3.3v, I'm not sure about that. The wifi module might be electrically connected through SDIO...

edit: That sucks, sparkyidr... I would go ahead and solder the speaker back into place.
This kinda reminds me of a speaker problem with an old laptop I had. I eventually discovered that the headphone jack was the problem, not the speakers.
After unplugging headphones, it would continue to sense a plug in the headphone jack, and keep the speakers disabled.
I fixed it by haphazardly wiggling an old apple plaintalk microphone plug around in there a little (they're slightly longer than your average plug)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 06:35:05 am by moofree »

skelton

« Reply #497 on: February 29, 2012, 11:49:14 am »
I'm trying to unpack the boot.img to modify some parameters (especially the init.rc file inside boot.img) with no results. I've tried the split_bootimg.pl tool but I failed.
It always says android agic not found. Giving up, so nothing is extracted. Any help? Someone with experience unpacking boot.img files?
Retired

leathco

• Retro Review Revolution
« Reply #498 on: February 29, 2012, 12:30:48 pm »
OK got mine rooted and old apps uninstalled with Uninstall Root.  Just a few niggling issues.

1.  I still can't replace the stock emulators with the newer slideme versions.  Odd, because I uninstaled the others via root.

2.  Some of my apps won't install from Market.  Says its incompatible, when they should actually be compatible.  A great example are my two Video apps from Screenwave for Cinemassacre and Retroware.  The Retroware one installs fine, but it says Cinemassacre is incompatible, when they are pretty well the same app.  I bypassed this for some by getting the APK off my cell phone using Titanium backup and loading it that way.

3.  Some items that work via market crash the market on the phone.  For instance, Sonic 4.  I managed to buy it on the market on the PC and send to the JXD that way, but any time I tried to buy it on the JXD handheld itself it wold force close.

4.  I think the internal partitioning of the 4 gigs may be off.  After installing my apps it says I only have around 500 MB left over, and theres a seperate NAND area with around 3 gigs empty.

SNESFAN

« Reply #499 on: February 29, 2012, 01:57:23 pm »
@skelton- I didn't have any success in the split bootimg script either. Think it has something to do with ubifs filesystem in use as opposed to yaffs or ext4. I tried looking into that previously, what I have came up with is the script doesn't work for our boot.img. I've tried multiple different scripts and even manually hex editing the image to separate the two manually. I'm sure it's possible, but I haven't found the documented way of doing it that works for ours.

@leathco-
1)factory reset your device after removing stock apps/emulators. If you ran any of them before removing them it leaves residual stuff in your user's /data/ partition that will prevent installing/updating similar(stolen exact same) programs.

2)I will check the incompatible apps thing, but I think it's because of the xperia play build.prop file. I want to build a stock one and a xperia play one so you can chose which one you want depending on your uses. Forcing the uninformed to use what I prefer to use is wrong IMO. I'll fix it in the near future.

3)this is probally tied to 2 or 1, try factory reset via settings->privacy->factory reset (not reflash)

4)that 3GB should be mounted at /mnt/flash/ it's a fake "internal sd" you also have a data partition (where all your installed apps and settings etc go) of about 500mb that sits on nand (it's all the same space really) all the android system partitions (boot, system, logo, recovery, cache) are all occupying the same 4GB. All the android system files expanded take up about ~500MB, plus ~500MB for data, ~3GB fake sd = 4GB