Author Topic: JXD S601 New android console from JXD with shoulder buttons!!!  (Read 427738 times)

sparkyidr

Re: JXD S601 New android console from JXD with shoulder buttons!!!
« Reply #495 on: February 29, 2012, 06:07:51 am »
Looks like I might be out of luck.
After 2 or 3 emails back and forth between myself and ishare (they asked me to blow into the speaker with a hairdryer............), they eventually came back and said something like "We wonder if you have a solution to this problem"...hmmmmm
I asked if they would replace it, and they have not got back to me since.

So I thought I would investigate.
Took the back off, and noticed the speaker wires had some crushing (and the bare wire was exposed on the +ve)
Figuring that was the issue, I trimmed back the wires past the crushing, and stripped them ready to re-solder.
Before I soldered though, just did a quick test by touching the wires to the solder points....and nothing  :(
So I thought maybe the speaker was dead. Did a quick test by touching the +ve and -ve to the terminals of a AAA battery...and sure enough, the speaker puts out static. So the speaker is fine.
Seems like the 601 isn't sending anything to it  :(

Alas.. I am not good enough with electronics to figure out any more than that.

It still works fine with headphones, but I don't always want to play with the phones on.

bummer.

You should probably see what isharegifts says first (they'll probably require you to pay shipping back to china   >:( )

Cheers for the internals. Might well come in handy!

Yeah. I emailed them last night... They got back to me pretty quick, but mainly to ask the obvious questions like...was I sure I had the volume up!

Anwyays, I replied back saying I was sure it was a hardware fault and had factory restored etc etc, but have heard nothing back from them as of yet. But fingers crossed, hopefully they will replace it.

moofree

« Reply #496 on: February 29, 2012, 06:17:39 am »
Can someone check is this thing has an otg? ::)
Negative.  >:(
I even tried my spliced up cable I use for my Atrix 2 which is otg with +5v and ground connected to an external 5v source.  Also tried through a hub. None worked.

I think I remember seeing some stuff in the dmesg about usb host.
I initially thought that the wifi module was running off this usb host, but since it's only running on 3.3v, I'm not sure about that. The wifi module might be electrically connected through SDIO...

edit: That sucks, sparkyidr... I would go ahead and solder the speaker back into place.
This kinda reminds me of a speaker problem with an old laptop I had. I eventually discovered that the headphone jack was the problem, not the speakers.
After unplugging headphones, it would continue to sense a plug in the headphone jack, and keep the speakers disabled.
I fixed it by haphazardly wiggling an old apple plaintalk microphone plug around in there a little (they're slightly longer than your average plug)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 06:35:05 am by moofree »

skelton

« Reply #497 on: February 29, 2012, 11:49:14 am »
I'm trying to unpack the boot.img to modify some parameters (especially the init.rc file inside boot.img) with no results. I've tried the split_bootimg.pl tool but I failed.
It always says android agic not found. Giving up, so nothing is extracted. Any help? Someone with experience unpacking boot.img files?
Retired

leathco

« Reply #498 on: February 29, 2012, 12:30:48 pm »
OK got mine rooted and old apps uninstalled with Uninstall Root.  Just a few niggling issues.

1.  I still can't replace the stock emulators with the newer slideme versions.  Odd, because I uninstaled the others via root.

2.  Some of my apps won't install from Market.  Says its incompatible, when they should actually be compatible.  A great example are my two Video apps from Screenwave for Cinemassacre and Retroware.  The Retroware one installs fine, but it says Cinemassacre is incompatible, when they are pretty well the same app.  I bypassed this for some by getting the APK off my cell phone using Titanium backup and loading it that way.

3.  Some items that work via market crash the market on the phone.  For instance, Sonic 4.  I managed to buy it on the market on the PC and send to the JXD that way, but any time I tried to buy it on the JXD handheld itself it wold force close.

4.  I think the internal partitioning of the 4 gigs may be off.  After installing my apps it says I only have around 500 MB left over, and theres a seperate NAND area with around 3 gigs empty.

SNESFAN

« Reply #499 on: February 29, 2012, 01:57:23 pm »
@skelton- I didn't have any success in the split bootimg script either. Think it has something to do with ubifs filesystem in use as opposed to yaffs or ext4. I tried looking into that previously, what I have came up with is the script doesn't work for our boot.img. I've tried multiple different scripts and even manually hex editing the image to separate the two manually. I'm sure it's possible, but I haven't found the documented way of doing it that works for ours.

@leathco-
1)factory reset your device after removing stock apps/emulators. If you ran any of them before removing them it leaves residual stuff in your user's /data/ partition that will prevent installing/updating similar(stolen exact same) programs.

2)I will check the incompatible apps thing, but I think it's because of the xperia play build.prop file. I want to build a stock one and a xperia play one so you can chose which one you want depending on your uses. Forcing the uninformed to use what I prefer to use is wrong IMO. I'll fix it in the near future.

3)this is probally tied to 2 or 1, try factory reset via settings->privacy->factory reset (not reflash)

4)that 3GB should be mounted at /mnt/flash/ it's a fake "internal sd" you also have a data partition (where all your installed apps and settings etc go) of about 500mb that sits on nand (it's all the same space really) all the android system partitions (boot, system, logo, recovery, cache) are all occupying the same 4GB. All the android system files expanded take up about ~500MB, plus ~500MB for data, ~3GB fake sd = 4GB

ddragoonss

« Reply #500 on: February 29, 2012, 02:36:23 pm »
4)that 3GB should be mounted at /mnt/flash/ it's a fake "internal sd" you also have a data partition (where all your installed apps and settings etc go) of about 500mb that sits on nand (it's all the same space really) all the android system partitions (boot, system, logo, recovery, cache) are all occupying the same 4GB. All the android system files expanded take up about ~500MB, plus ~500MB for data, ~3GB fake sd = 4GB

But still a real SD card is needed to savestates(N64oid) and other app things or there is a way to run emulators without a SD card?

skelton

« Reply #501 on: February 29, 2012, 02:51:56 pm »
@snesfan, bad news then about the boot.img. I'm trying by all means modify something to avoid the 600 mhz issue, but I don't Know what else to do. I wrote to JXD to ask them a release of the sources, or at least a new firmware with the cpu clock at 800 mhz at least, but there's no response at all by JXD (I'm not surprised about that). I wish something could be done, but I'm lost at the moment.
Retired

SNESFAN

« Reply #502 on: February 29, 2012, 03:01:55 pm »
But still a real SD card is needed to savestates(N64oid) and other app things or there is a way to run emulators without a SD card?

the way n64oid etc works is it stores the save states in the same folder as the rom, so if the rom is on your internal there should be a game.zip for the game and a game.sav the sram, and game.ss0, game.ss1 or something like that for the save state. Android sees the fake sd as a real one, I said fake, because it's just a partition'd off section of flash memory.

bottom line is it stores game related stuff in the same folder as the rom file.
EDIT: it stores android app related stuff (not rom specific emulator stuff) in the user /data/ partition. Global settings for the emulator is stored in the data partition... see where the separation is at?

@skelton- there are alternative ways of overclocking without source if you are a "mad skillz hacker" like adjusting what clock speed is being reported by injecting stuff into the memory... but I'm not one of those lol... so we will have to do it the normal way with rebuilt kernel once we get source code.

there is some potentially good news coming in regards to that.. not saying any more about it just yet till I get more information.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:24:23 pm by SNESFAN »

ruffnutts

« Reply #503 on: February 29, 2012, 03:12:34 pm »
Changing the subject a bit lol anyone tried this app for remapping ect... been updated for onlive nontouch games  8)

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.locnet.gamekeyboard&hl=en

Also check this thread
http://onlivefans.com/showthread.php?15227-Playing-non-touch-enabled-games-on-Android-App/page2

ruffnutts  ;)

Here's another Onlive type app

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.hatcyl.android.OnLiveHelper&feature=also_installed#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwNCwiY29tLmhhdGN5bC5hbmRyb2lkLk9uTGl2ZUhlbHBlciJd

Surely this could be good for S601 users ;)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:27:53 pm by ruffnutts »

moofree

« Reply #504 on: February 29, 2012, 04:40:02 pm »
@skelton- there are alternative ways of overclocking without source if you are a "mad skillz hacker" like adjusting what clock speed is being reported by injecting stuff into the memory... but I'm not one of those lol...
At least we don't have a locked down bootloader like my Motorola phone.
Currently the only* way to overclock that is with kernel modules that were first released by one of those mad skillz hackers back in January.

Considering that some of the slatedroid folks have overclocked amlogic kernels by replacing 800000000 for XXX000000 in the uncompressed kernel image, I bet it would be comparatively easy to throw something similar together... if we had a mad skillz kernel hacker around here somewhere ;)

* edit: well, the only GOOD way.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 05:06:28 pm by moofree »

abhoriel

« Reply #505 on: February 29, 2012, 05:23:17 pm »
@skelton- there are alternative ways of overclocking without source if you are a "mad skillz hacker" like adjusting what clock speed is being reported by injecting stuff into the memory... but I'm not one of those lol...
At least we don't have a locked down bootloader like my Motorola phone.
Currently the only* way to overclock that is with kernel modules that were first released by one of those mad skillz hackers back in January.

Considering that some of the slatedroid folks have overclocked amlogic kernels by replacing 800000000 for XXX000000 in the uncompressed kernel image, I bet it would be comparatively easy to throw something similar together... if we had a mad skillz kernel hacker around here somewhere ;)

* edit: well, the only GOOD way.

I read that slatedroid post, and what they did is actually reasonably simple. If we can't get the source, it should definitely be possible.

ruffnutts

« Reply #506 on: February 29, 2012, 05:28:18 pm »
Truth be known I'm getting fed up with this device.. it could be so much better, I know its only cheap lol,
I haven't used it very much.... well I've been playing me ps vita... anyway

Maybe we could contact bitrider who made the custom rom for the yinlips G18,  I can see myself ending up selling it on

Just a thought

skelton

« Reply #507 on: February 29, 2012, 05:50:56 pm »
Truth be known I'm getting fed up with this device.. it could be so much better, I know its only cheap lol,
I haven't used it very much.... well I've been playing me ps vita... anyway

Maybe we could contact bitrider who made the custom rom for the yinlips G18,  I can see myself ending up selling it on

Just a thought

I understand how you feel. Device is quite good, but with the 600 mhz clock is underpowered in my opinion. It's a shame to see some Amlogic m3 devices like the ramos w6hd or the zenithlink c91 running at 1 ghz and the jxd running at 600 mhz.
Retired

leathco

« Reply #508 on: February 29, 2012, 07:52:21 pm »
@snesfan thanks for the help.  It fixed the non-installing slideme issue.  I still have the market prob (had to get the skyfire APK from my cell phone) but no big deal if its due to the build.prop.  I can just buy the app on my phone and use Titanium to load it to the JXD. 

Best of luck overclocking the CPU, I'd love to see it get 800 mhz to 1 ghz

bamboori

« Reply #509 on: February 29, 2012, 08:02:46 pm »
is someone working on the minecraft controls? that would be my buying point over the motorola flipout.

if anybody wants to sell his or her jxd, message me :D