Author Topic: JXD S601 New android console from JXD with shoulder buttons!!!  (Read 427732 times)

zelda metroid brothers

Re: JXD S601 New android console from JXD with shoulder buttons!!!
« Reply #450 on: February 23, 2012, 03:43:01 am »
"does this have a microphone though?"
well, on the back, where the various ports, etc. are labeled... 'mic/reset'
i'm assuming there is a microphone up there with the reset button...??

"look for google voice search, it's a non-free app like the market, so it will take a little digging to find a working verion"
weird. from what i'm reading, it is built into gingerbread by google. it uses google translate to convert your speech into text (doesn't work without wifi connection)

zelda metroid brothers

« Reply #451 on: February 23, 2012, 03:47:32 am »
just stumbled upon 'google translate' in the market. installing to see if that changes anything. however, i wonder if the device id thingy in the build.prop will affect whether or not android 'sees' the microphone...

zelda metroid brothers

« Reply #452 on: February 23, 2012, 03:53:18 am »
google translate installed. voice input still doesn't show up under 'voice input and output' in settings. neither does it show up under 'language and keyboard'

zelda metroid brothers

« Reply #453 on: February 23, 2012, 05:01:58 am »
weird. google's own web pages say it's baked into gingerbread but anyways...

did some searching. found a google voice search apk. installed it. rebooted. voice input still doesn't show up.

jxds601 definitely has a mic. i installed a voice recorder app, recorded myself, and played it back.

zelda metroid brothers

« Reply #454 on: February 23, 2012, 05:36:35 am »
i'm pretty sure it's the build.prop thing. i found 'voice search' on the android market web page
(https://market.android.com/details?id=com.google.android.voicesearch)
when i clicked to install, a little window came up asking me which device to push it to. when i try to select "sony ericsson r800i" it tells me 'this item is not compatible with your device'

if i recall, i can just text-edit that build.prop file on my computer and then push it back to the jxd??
...but i don't know what i should change it to...would it hurt if i used the same build.prop i have on sch-i500 phone?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 05:40:20 am by zelda metroid brothers »

SNESFAN

« Reply #455 on: February 23, 2012, 11:25:17 am »
best way to modify the build.prop is to do a side by side comparison and go line by line

you will need text editor capable of doing unix code formatting, if you use windows I prefer a program called EditPad Pro.

best advice is to mess arround with stuff in this section

# Disable un-supported Android feature

most of my changes besides the xperia play cloning were added under this section

# ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES

zelda metroid brothers

« Reply #456 on: February 23, 2012, 05:00:36 pm »
well, i tried playing around with the build.prop file to no avail. i even went so far as to straight-out copy the build.prop from my phone (sch-i500) to the jxd. still no voice input.

obviously, i'm clueless here. as said earlier, i did *find* a google voice search (2.1) apk and installed it with no problems. still no voice input. quite frustrating. i give up for now.

zelda metroid brothers

« Reply #457 on: February 23, 2012, 05:09:42 pm »
alternatively, is there any kind of app or hack that would give me something like a mouse pointer onscreen that i could control with the d-pad? the whole point of getting voice input to work for me was to avoid having to 'type' on the resistive touchscreen. i wonder if my touch screen is worse than everyone else's because it's just insane trying to type anything on it. heck, it usually takes 3 tries for me to just swipe/unlock the screen.

SNESFAN

« Reply #458 on: February 23, 2012, 05:10:50 pm »
I think there are other dependencies, like I said this is propritary google stuff, not your average install application. I don't think the build.prop file has much to do with that stuff other than maybe changing some flags so the file is installable on the phone. And some minor tweaks to the dalvik VM that is being loaded at boot time.

here is something that might be helpful to your cause.
http://wiki.rootzwiki.com/Google_Apps

EDIT:
native mouse/ usb keyboard is only available in OS 3.x or later... it can be built into 2.x much like usb host mode but I don't know how to do it.

EDIT2: instead of posting a new reply, you can always modify your previous post and put whatever you want to add in, replying to yourself isn't good form unless maybe you have a ton of information to put down.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 05:23:56 pm by SNESFAN »

zelda metroid brothers

« Reply #459 on: February 23, 2012, 05:26:58 pm »
thanks for the input. don't know if it's interesting to you but i found it interesting...
when i put the build.prop from my sch-i500 on the jxd, my screen resolution changed. everything onscreen was huge. the status bar took up half my screen.

my EDIT1:
your EDIT2 is duly noted :) sorry if i have annoyed anyone.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 05:28:36 pm by zelda metroid brothers »

SNESFAN

« Reply #460 on: February 23, 2012, 05:52:36 pm »
yea it's because of the line (don't have it in front of me) that says something about lcd density, it should be 120, if it's changed to 240 you'll get the messed up resolution. (or the other way around) It's just due to the number of pixels on the s601. Same thing will happen to your monitor if you change a monitor with a native resolution of 1600x1200 to 800x600 or something like that.

Think of build.prop as android's config file for user level changes.. different parts are in different files but most are in that one file

it's not annoying, just an eyesore.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 06:04:02 pm by SNESFAN »

lemmywinks

« Reply #461 on: February 23, 2012, 07:27:15 pm »
alternatively, is there any kind of app or hack that would give me something like a mouse pointer onscreen that i could control with the d-pad? the whole point of getting voice input to work for me was to avoid having to 'type' on the resistive touchscreen. i wonder if my touch screen is worse than everyone else's because it's just insane trying to type anything on it. heck, it usually takes 3 tries for me to just swipe/unlock the screen.

is the touchscreen any better with a stylus? You can get ones like this which attach to the lanyard loop on the case:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250975440377?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

In fact if you're in the UK I can send you one for free.
Resistive screens are also much better if you use a harder, smaller part of the finger rather than the fleshy part but a stylus is still miles better. Typing with a stylus is pretty accurate for me.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go
PC:
HP Envy M6
Acer 522
Psion 5 & 5MX

racuna

« Reply #462 on: February 23, 2012, 11:24:22 pm »
oh thats good... it's not bricked... it might be possible to brick the bootloader but I'm under the belief this thing is unbrickable as long as the battery holds out

1) format your sdcard in your computer

2) redownload all the files from jxd

3) unrar the contents to the sdcard

4) hod R trigger while power on and reflash bootloader (less than 1 min)

5) hold menu while power on and will wipe and flash everything else

the site doesn't offer a md5 hash check so it's not really posible to run that on your download but I'm guessing corruped download.. your system is fine as long as you see something on your screen... black screen with no activity is a brick... anything activity is good

EDIT; one scarry possiblity is that your nand is defective if it passed the sig check and didn't fail out and still tried to flash, but the "disk" it is writing to is damaged or defective it coud do what you are describing... but I'd still lean on just a corrupted download

I tried to download again  the files from jxd. But today in the morning the handheld even can turn on or show something on the screen. I charge it all the day (the led was on) but now after 10 hours i can't turn it on (the red led is off too).

Well

black screen with no activity  is a brick...

Now i have a plastic brick...

moofree

« Reply #463 on: February 24, 2012, 07:45:51 am »
Try holding Volume+ instead of R in snesfan's steps above. That's how you invoke the uboot flash process.

abhoriel

« Reply #464 on: February 24, 2012, 10:48:35 am »
if anyone can manage to get access to amlogic's git servers, it would be extremely helpful. SNESFAN has instructions about applying for it here: http://forum.openhandhelds.net/index.php/topic,25.0.html

you need to supply a company name/email/website.I tried applying with my gmail email address but I was denied access :( (at least Annie replied though..)

currently, we don't have android source code for the meson 3 boards, which the S601 uses. Also, amlogic probably have android 4.0 source in their git. Unfortunately, they do not release their android source on the website.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic