Author Topic: JXD s5110  (Read 394999 times)

cutterjohn

• !
Re: JXD s5110
« Reply #180 on: May 12, 2012, 03:05:59 pm »
I'm sorry I know that this is a little late, but can someone explain the relevance of having a capacitive touch screen when most of you guys are using these handheld for emulation ? I mean I understand you may have other uses for these devices but what do you actually need the capacitive screen for ? I have jxd s601 & I hardly use the touch screen unless I'm playing games for the Playstore or web browsing.
True a touchscreen is not needed for most emulators and a lot of the play store games but some emulators such as the n64 and psx would benefit from having a few of the controls mapped to key presses on the touchscreen when there are not enough physical buttons. A capacitive screen would be much better than a resistive screen in this instance
Yeah capacitive WOULD be better IF you had not enough physical or none, but let me tell you that I ordered one of these SPECIFICALLY because it had so many physical keys and gamepads.  It's a real PITA to game/use emulators when you have NO physical keys at all or very few(like my phone & tablets).  The only decent way to play is by using a bluetooth controller or something similar but is just another thing to carry around and are usually bulky enough to be annoying.

I played around a little with it last night, tried the default n64 emulator which conveniently had a few ROMs loaded. Mario 64 seemed to play OK but I was never really a big fan of that game.  To me it was mostly pretty 3D gfx demo at the time.

I got my s5110 quickly, but the 2 8GB uSDs that I ordered have yet to arrive and I couldn't find another uSD kicking around not in use yesterday, so now I'm deciding who's going to lose their uSD until those get here...

[EDIT]
heh, and right after I wrote this the mail showed up and my uSDs were in the mailbox... :D
[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 03:16:47 pm by cutterjohn »

JPWasko

« Reply #181 on: May 12, 2012, 03:27:21 pm »
So what emulators come pre-loaded?  Are there much better options available out there other than the stock emus?

lemonlimer

« Reply #182 on: May 12, 2012, 03:36:10 pm »
The .emu series (md.emu, nes.emu, etc) are great

cutterjohn

• !
« Reply #183 on: May 12, 2012, 03:44:56 pm »
So what emulators come pre-loaded?  Are there much better options available out there other than the stock emus?
nes4droid 1.6.8, gens4droid 2.8, N64droid 1.1, GameBoid 2.4.9, Mame4droid 1.3

This was done just by checking via apps in the settings menu.

Better options?  Dunno as prior buying this I was using my Dingoo A320 for emulating most of these, and never really cared about N64 as there just never were that many decent games for the N64 and practically zero RPGs.

On my android devices I was really only interested in PSX emu as they were the only portable(and smaller than a note/netbook) items that I owned that were capable of PSX emu, and the best IS: fpse. [EDIT] fpse is a paid app in the appstore, and they recently enabled opengl accel unfortunately the MALI-400 is the problem child GPU of the current embedded crop... [/EDIT]
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 03:56:41 pm by cutterjohn »

jweck

JXD s5110
« Reply #184 on: May 12, 2012, 04:30:52 pm »
I highly recommend all the .emu Apps to you. They are well worth the money and the best you can get. In addition to them google for SNES9X EX from the same developer, which is not available through play, but free on the website. Last but not least Mame4droid, if you're into arcade that is ;)

ashwin1234

« Reply #185 on: May 12, 2012, 06:06:50 pm »
To those wondering what kind of screen is in the JXD S5110, I think it might be a piezoelectric touchscreen. Refer to the wiki article below. It is highly unlikely that they would use a resistive touchscreen with multitouch circuitry as those are very expensive. Piezoelectric touchscreens are cheaper than multitouch resistive's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchscreen#Dispersive_signal_technology

I am also awaiting the arrival of my S5110

skelton (OP)

« Reply #186 on: May 12, 2012, 06:10:32 pm »

ashwin1234, something similar to the smartq t10, one of the few devices that use this technology.
Retired

skelton (OP)

« Reply #187 on: May 12, 2012, 07:58:05 pm »
Well, the Overclocked Kernels (or normal clock) for the Android 2.3 firm of s5110 are ready. I've made kernels from 800 to 1,2 ghz (1,2 probably will be unstable). Remember that in order to use them you have to be in Android 2.3 firmware.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/69559458/OC_s5110And23.zip

Just extract the zip and copy to the root of your SDCARD one of the update_signed files according to your desired speed (for instance, update_signed800 for 800 mhz). Boot the console into recovery by pressing power + menu, and select apply:sdcard, choose the update_signed file and reboot once installation finishes. I don?t know how stable they are, so USE IT AT YOUR RISK.

I don't have this console (and probablt won't have it I'm afraid) so thanks a lot to qbertaddict and Deen0X for the testing.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 09:27:13 pm by skelton »
Retired

abhoriel

« Reply #188 on: May 12, 2012, 09:52:28 pm »
Well, the Overclocked Kernels (or normal clock) for the Android 2.3 firm of s5110 are ready. I've made kernels from 800 to 1,2 ghz (1,2 probably will be unstable). Remember that in order to use them you have to be in Android 2.3 firmware.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/69559458/OC_s5110And23.zip

Just extract the zip and copy to the root of your SDCARD one of the update_signed files according to your desired speed (for instance, update_signed800 for 800 mhz). Boot the console into recovery by pressing power + menu, and select apply:sdcard, choose the update_signed file and reboot once installation finishes. I don?t know how stable they are, so USE IT AT YOUR RISK.

I don't have this console (and probablt won't have it I'm afraid) so thanks a lot to qbertaddict and Deen0X for the testing.

nice one :D
you aren't going to get it? hehe I'm strongly considering getting this

skelton (OP)

« Reply #189 on: May 12, 2012, 10:03:20 pm »

Abhoriel, I don't see a great difference from the jxd s601 apart from screen, so maybe I save my money for the future devices (that there will be some new, I guess) Also, I spent more time developing for these consoles than playing, hehe. And I'm still "fighting" with the ICS beta firm for s601 and trying to figure out how the system is locked at 600 mhz.
Retired

lemonlimer

« Reply #190 on: May 12, 2012, 10:33:09 pm »
Something that irritates me is the internal flash is mapped to SD card. Is there something I can do to make the external sd mount as the sd card like the JXD s601? The internal memory will fill up fast after Gameloft and other apps fill up the very limited 4 gb

skelton (OP)

« Reply #191 on: May 12, 2012, 10:35:16 pm »
Something that irritates me is the internal flash is mapped to SD card. Is there something I can do to make the external sd mount as the sd card like the JXD s601? The internal memory will fill up fast after Gameloft and other apps fill up the very limited 4 gb

Maybe changing the mounting points in kernel, but I'm not sure. I think that using Android 2.3 firm in this machine sdcard is the same than in s601, but not sure.
Retired

abhoriel

« Reply #192 on: May 12, 2012, 10:40:57 pm »

Abhoriel, I don't see a great difference from the jxd s601 apart from screen, so maybe I save my money for the future devices (that there will be some new, I guess) Also, I spent more time developing for these consoles than playing, hehe. And I'm still "fighting" with the ICS beta firm for s601 and trying to figure out how the system is locked at 600 mhz.

I think you're right actully :)
oh gosh, I completely forgot about ICS. I'll have a look at it too :) I'm sure its fixable
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 10:42:32 pm by abhoriel »

skelton (OP)

« Reply #193 on: May 12, 2012, 10:48:13 pm »

oh gosh, I completely forgot about ICS. I'll have a look at it too :) I'm sure its fixable

It should be fixable. What it is strange is that both s601 and s5110 use the f02ref board, but their ICS firms are built using f04ref ones. Maybe this is the failure but I don't know (system says 1 ghz but performance is 600). If you find something let me know. It would be nice an Skelrom for ICS.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 10:58:27 pm by skelton »
Retired

abhoriel

« Reply #194 on: May 12, 2012, 11:27:36 pm »

It should be fixable. What it is strange is that both s601 and s5110 use the f02ref board, but their ICS firms are built using f04ref ones. Maybe this is the failure but I don't know (system says 1 ghz but performance is 600). If you find something let me know. It would be nice an Skelrom for ICS.

It reminds of the problem of overclocking kernels above 1GHz on the JXD s601. it says that its clocking faster, but the actual speed is the same. it could be the same problem here. I never really bothered trying to fix it because I considered >1GHz speeds to be a bit excessive, but I'll look into it

lemonlimer

« Reply #195 on: May 12, 2012, 11:49:16 pm »

Maybe changing the mounting points in kernel, but I'm not sure. I think that using Android 2.3 firm in this machine sdcard is the same than in s601, but not sure.

I know it has something to do with editing the vold.fstab file located in etc/ folder. I'm not sure what to change however

It reads as:

## Vold 2.0 fstab

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
## Format: dev_mount <label> <mount_point> <part> <sysfs_path1...>
## label - Label for the volume
## mount_point - Where the volume will be mounted
## part - Partition # (1 based), or 'auto' for first usable partition.
## <sysfs_path> - List of sysfs paths to source devices
######################

# Mounts the first usable partition of the specified device
#use this line to support VIRTUAL CDROM.And you can define the directory where you want to mount
loop_mount loop /mnt/VIRTUAL_CDROM
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard/external_sdcard auto /devices/platform/AMLOGIC_CARD/card_host/memorycard0 /devices/platform/aml_sd_mmc.0
dev_mount flash /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/virtual/mtd/mtd8/avnftl8 /devices/platform/mtd/mtd8/avnftli
asec flash

ashwin1234

« Reply #196 on: May 13, 2012, 02:09:56 am »

If you are worried about space for the Gameloft games, use GL to SD from the market if your tablet is rooted. Alternatively, patch the apk's so that they read of the external SD

Link and guide for patch: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1159859

I can confirm that the patch works fine for older games. So far, only NOVA 2 cannot be patched

cutterjohn

• !
« Reply #197 on: May 13, 2012, 02:26:13 am »
Well, I skipped everything from my emu & vers post and the followup post as I was trying/attempting to use the browser trick to install apks only to find that I couldn't freaking figure out how to have it show me numbers and other chars like ':' and '/' so I gave up for now...  (I'll just push them over via adb tomorrow morning I think... and push over swype 'beta'....)

...also thinking back the market thing with the Augen Gentouch 78 was really we were trying to ELIMINATE extraneous libraries/etc. rather than finding what it took to make market actually work, and that was for IIRC 2.1(eclair) which has likely changed drastically now.

So why are you guys horrigible over gingerbread?  It's not REALLY anything to drool over other than you seem to be able to overclock a bit?

Frankly I don't understand why a halfway decent guy with access to source cannot merge 3.0+ kernels with 2.xwhatever we have to maintain binary blob compatibility... some work yes, but...

[EDIT]
I'm also curious as to what exact use this chainfire 3d thingy is?  I've NEVER had 3D problems with games, etc. so far so I'm wondering exactly what it does and why some people actually bother using it...

[/EDIT]

cutterjohn

• !
« Reply #198 on: May 13, 2012, 02:30:24 am »
I highly recommend all the .emu Apps to you. They are well worth the money and the best you can get. In addition to them google for SNES9X EX from the same developer, which is not available through play, but free on the website. Last but not least Mame4droid, if you're into arcade that is ;)
jweck, they came pre-installed on our s5110, can we purchase them from the new playstore or elsewhere to keep them updated? And/or use them on other devices in the future that will get updates?

qbertaddict

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #199 on: May 13, 2012, 03:15:38 am »
jweck, they came pre-installed on our s5110, can we purchase them from the new playstore or elsewhere to keep them updated? And/or use them on other devices in the future that will get updates?

The .emu emulators did not come preinstalled if they did there is going to be a big issue. These are paid apps and the author deserves the money. The default emulators are from yohng not the .emu author

Post a new topic
Post a new topic