Author Topic: JXD s5110  (Read 394995 times)

Android-Gadgets

• Android Gadgets
Re: JXD s5110
« Reply #160 on: May 11, 2012, 06:17:38 pm »
Joined pretty much to follow this thread.

What's the story with the touch screen. It's a resistive screen with 3-point touch?

jbar

« Reply #161 on: May 11, 2012, 09:02:03 pm »
Yes.. a resistive screen with 3-point touch -but is is almost like a capacitive.  I really didn't notice it wasn't until is was pointed out.   I am not new to Capacitive devices either.  The screen is pretty decent.  The device really just needs to not be under clocked which I hope someone with the skills or JXD can rectify.

skelton (OP)

« Reply #162 on: May 11, 2012, 09:25:27 pm »
Yes.. a resistive screen with 3-point touch -but is is almost like a capacitive.  I really didn't notice it wasn't until is was pointed out.   I am not new to Capacitive devices either.  The screen is pretty decent.  The device really just needs to not be under clocked which I hope someone with the skills or JXD can rectify.

Probably there will be some news soon, but I'm afraid that for Android 2.3 firmware only at the moment.
I?ll keep you informed.
Retired

exodus

« Reply #163 on: May 11, 2012, 09:31:46 pm »
Can you install bluetooth adapter or what is a good wireless controler to get for this? I want to use it as a game machine hooked to my lcd through the hdmi cable to play from my sofa. Can this be done?

jbar

« Reply #164 on: May 11, 2012, 09:51:36 pm »
skelton,  Thanks.  2.3 is fine.  I actually think it would be a better OS for this device -just not a face of the ICS status bar that never goes away.  From what I have found on the internet their is no way to have that bar hide in ICS (possible in honeycomb with a few apps and root but not ICS).

lemonlimer

« Reply #165 on: May 11, 2012, 10:43:53 pm »
Mine is running at 1 ghz. I bought mine direct from JXD

skelton (OP)

« Reply #166 on: May 11, 2012, 10:48:48 pm »
Yeah, but run Antutu Benchmark. It will give you 400 points in cpu. 1 ghz in these amlogic devices are about 570 points in cpu integer. 400 points is the same score that you get using 600 mhz.

So the system "says" it runs at  1 ghz, but it's not real, probably because kernel is not well done. In fact, kernel in Android 2.3 firm is directly set as 600 mhz a9 clock, the same as s601 at the beginings.

I know that because the Android 4.0 for s601 has the same fault. It says 1 ghz but it's not real, since I use 1 ghz in Android 2.3 in the s601 and the difference is abismal in comparison to the "supposed" 1 ghz kernel in Android 4.0.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 10:52:29 pm by skelton »
Retired

skelton (OP)

« Reply #167 on: May 11, 2012, 10:50:23 pm »
ups, double post...
Retired

cutterjohn

• !
« Reply #168 on: May 11, 2012, 10:55:17 pm »
I got mine this afternoon. Charging now, came at ~50% charge and I did a quick lookover:
kb was set to US_en default but there was some baidu thingy which I changed to US_en default.
Screen is pretty responsive for being resistive(fingernail worked) but not quite up to a good cap screen.
WiFi signal stength is GODAWFUL! -> GODAWFUL antenna design...

That's about how far I've gotten as I shut it down to do a full charge, and yes, unfortunately the charger is a DC plugin thing rather than charging via USB.  I don't know if it's possible to charge via USB yet but I'll try unless someone else has already?

US Customs had opened the DHL package and then the cardboard box that the s5110 was emplaced, but I don't know if they bothered to open that up as well, if they did they(shockingly) repackaged it neatly or didn't bother to remove anything IF they did.  (There was no cellophane wrapping on the JXD box or any tape, so I'm just speculating on this.

Also on a quick look at the apps, I didn't notice fpse, but the VAST majority of apps had chinese names and for the life of me I can't recall what the fpse icon looks like(I own this already for my tablets and phone).

I've just had a VERy good experience with willgoo, and so I must say that I'd be happy to order with them again, esp. since I'm still pondering also ordering that Yinlips YDP G18A, but also kind of thinking that there might be some other interesting items coming out over the summer/early fall and if this s5110 works out to be even a little hackable would tide me over.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 11:00:10 pm by cutterjohn »

qbertaddict

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #169 on: May 12, 2012, 12:09:53 am »
Yeah, but run Antutu Benchmark. It will give you 400 points in cpu. 1 ghz in these amlogic devices are about 570 points in cpu integer. 400 points is the same score that you get using 600 mhz.

So the system "says" it runs at  1 ghz, but it's not real, probably because kernel is not well done. In fact, kernel in Android 2.3 firm is directly set as 600 mhz a9 clock, the same as s601 at the beginings.

I know that because the Android 4.0 for s601 has the same fault. It says 1 ghz but it's not real, since I use 1 ghz in Android 2.3 in the s601 and the difference is abismal in comparison to the "supposed" 1 ghz kernel in Android 4.0.

The ydpg16 shows 677 for CPU integer and 177 for the CPU fload point.

I have mine running at 1.14ghz. I also got rid of the need for the game manager! I am very very happy with my ydpg16 now

cutterjohn

• !
« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2012, 01:32:35 am »

I have mine running at 1.14ghz. I also got rid of the need for the game manager! I am very very happy with my ydpg16 now
Did fpse really ship out on yours pre-installed? As I'm not seeing an icon that I recognize and most of the ones that I do are in English and are just gba/gb/snes/etc. plus mine shipped with a DVD full of pirated ROMs for said(and unstated systems)....

[EDIT]
Android apps MIGHT be free versions, I didn't look very closely TBH as there was nothing actually erm... useful to me... that I noticed anyways...
[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 01:42:33 am by cutterjohn »

retrodoodoo

• * Confirmed Reseller
« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2012, 06:14:46 am »
Can you install bluetooth adapter or what is a good wireless controler to get for this? I want to use it as a game machine hooked to my lcd through the hdmi cable to play from my sofa. Can this be done?

my friend, we had tested on IR game controller on this JXD S5110. It can work. First, you need to contact the OTG cable and plug the wireless adapter with it. Then you can play it with the game controller. For HDMI, it did have a very good Video output. But we do not connect the device to TV to play games. We will test it later and let you guys know more .

retrodoodoo

• * Confirmed Reseller
« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2012, 06:23:59 am »
I got mine this afternoon. Charging now, came at ~50% charge and I did a quick lookover:
kb was set to US_en default but there was some baidu thingy which I changed to US_en default.
Screen is pretty responsive for being resistive(fingernail worked) but not quite up to a good cap screen.
WiFi signal stength is GODAWFUL! -> GODAWFUL antenna design...

That's about how far I've gotten as I shut it down to do a full charge, and yes, unfortunately the charger is a DC plugin thing rather than charging via USB.  I don't know if it's possible to charge via USB yet but I'll try unless someone else has already?

US Customs had opened the DHL package and then the cardboard box that the s5110 was emplaced, but I don't know if they bothered to open that up as well, if they did they(shockingly) repackaged it neatly or didn't bother to remove anything IF they did.  (There was no cellophane wrapping on the JXD box or any tape, so I'm just speculating on this.

Also on a quick look at the apps, I didn't notice fpse, but the VAST majority of apps had chinese names and for the life of me I can't recall what the fpse icon looks like(I own this already for my tablets and phone).

I've just had a VERy good experience with willgoo, and so I must say that I'd be happy to order with them again, esp. since I'm still pondering also ordering that Yinlips YDP G18A, but also kind of thinking that there might be some other interesting items coming out over the summer/early fall and if this s5110 works out to be even a little hackable would tide me over.

Glad to hear that you had well received your goods. For csutoms checking, they will pick some of the parcels and check them. That is the reason why your DHL parcel was opened. But I wish they do not destroy your device.For parcels sent via air mail or register air mail, the chance for your parcels being checked is less than express shipping way. But the shipping speed is slower than DHL. For every parcels, we had tried to pack them well to make sure your goods can be protected during transportation. But sometimes, the parcel will be pressed out of shape because there are many parcels sent in one airplan. The courier may put all parcels together. This is very easy to cause the parcels out of shape.Thank you very much for your understanding.

You can feedback any news about your order so that we can foolow it in time. Thanks.

Rajinn

« Reply #173 on: May 12, 2012, 07:52:57 am »
Hello all, for a little while I was stalking this thread because I had found it AFTER I ordered the device from willgoo (10-20 days shipping unfortunately) so I am eagerly waiting for it to be delivered to me....  It's a shame JXD lied about the specs and thanks willgoo for great customer support.  While waiting I barely found any reviews on it and I was just wondering if anyone who owns the device would do a overall review of it giving me their 2 cents, I already saw the two videos made however that wasn't enough... it would be much appreciated.

-Rajinn

skelton (OP)

« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2012, 09:21:20 am »

You are right, but the yinlips g16 is allwinner SoC. The amlogic devices running at 1 ghz scores about 570 in cpu integer (more or less). If you run antutu in the s5110 you'll see that scores is only about 400, so it's not running at 1 ghz. That's what I was referring to, but maybe I explained myself badly.
Retired

qbertaddict

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #175 on: May 12, 2012, 09:35:08 am »
You are right, but the yinlips g16 is allwinner SoC. The amlogic devices running at 1 ghz scores about 570 in cpu integer (more or less). If you run antutu in the s5110 you'll see that scores is only about 400, so it's not running at 1 ghz. That's what I was referring to, but maybe I explained myself badly.

I understood I was just trying to back up your statement.  ;D

singapura

JXD s5110
« Reply #176 on: May 12, 2012, 11:23:13 am »
Happy I ordered at Willgoo. I don't think Singapore customs is as rigurous as US but we'll see. I'll do a side by side with my S601 as soon as I get my package.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 11:25:21 am by singapura »
"If you're gonna play the Gameboy. You gotta learn to play it right" - Kenny Rogers

Gameboy - Gameboy Color - Gameboy Advance -  Gameboy Pocket - NDS - PSP - JXD S601 - JXD S5110 - Atari 2600 - SNES - Megadrive - Xbox - Dreamcast - Xbox360 - PSVita

crzune

« Reply #177 on: May 12, 2012, 12:42:47 pm »
I'm sorry I know that this is a little late, but can someone explain the relevance of having a capacitive touch screen when most of you guys are using these handheld for emulation ? I mean I understand you may have other uses for these devices but what do you actually need the capacitive screen for ? I have jxd s601 & I hardly use the touch screen unless I'm playing games for the Playstore or web browsing.

skelton (OP)

« Reply #178 on: May 12, 2012, 12:49:53 pm »

For some Android titles that doesn't allow button control I guess crzune. But, you are right, for emulators is quite the same to have a resistive one or a capacitive one. At least I don't think is really important.
Retired

qbertaddict

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #179 on: May 12, 2012, 02:58:51 pm »
I'm sorry I know that this is a little late, but can someone explain the relevance of having a capacitive touch screen when most of you guys are using these handheld for emulation ? I mean I understand you may have other uses for these devices but what do you actually need the capacitive screen for ? I have jxd s601 & I hardly use the touch screen unless I'm playing games for the Playstore or web browsing.
True a touchscreen is not needed for most emulators and a lot of the play store games but some emulators such as the n64 and psx would benefit from having a few of the controls mapped to key presses on the touchscreen when there are not enough physical buttons. A capacitive screen would be much better than a resistive screen in this instance

Post a new topic