Author Topic: JXD s5110  (Read 374173 times)

SONY

JXD S5110
« Reply #210 on: May 13, 2012, 02:32:38 pm »
Anybody have a chance to test the emulators? how is the lag?
Sorry mostly still busy getting Android to functional v. the halfwit shipped version, however I DID try the N64 emu with the *ahem* supplied Mario64 ROM which seemed OK(i.e. WAY WAY WAY better thananything other than a decent notebook or good desktop emu), but TBH I don't give a sh!t about N64 emu as it never really had any truly good games.

I beg to differ, Mario64, Golden Eye and Zelda are VERY good. Has anyone tried those yet?
Goldeneye was OK as was Turok, but lets face it, Nintendo overhyped this system and just about the entirety of 3rd parties dumped them for the psx leaving mostly 1st party games.

As to Quest 64, the best that I can do for that one is 5/10 about alot of those points are for being the ONLY RPG(kind of as it's not really an RPG either) released for the N64.  It just simply was NOT that good of a game, esp. v. what was available on the psx.  Even the Saturn got more RPGs.

Mario 64:  I had more fun stretching mario's face than playing the game...

Bottomline for me was that once I bought a psx I rarely ever turned on the N64 again and that was generally only to play a little Turok.

Anyways enough offtopic discusion of a failed console and back to Android...  I'm sticking with ICS on mine as I really do prefer the UI to GB.  Also I re-tested the WiFi yesterday and it was just as bad as Friday's results unfortunately.  The range is just not very good on this and it seems to be easily overwhelmed.  I really need to get WiFi Analyzer on this so I can see what it's actually picking as it doesn't seem right the way that it's behaving.

I'm afraid I completely disagree with you (as someone who had/has both the N64 and Playstation). The N64 certainly had few games compared to the playstation, but it was definitely a console of quality over quantity (thats not to say that the playstation didnt have quality games, it had fantastic games). ocarina of time has the world record as the best rated game ever made. when my friends came round, and when I went to see friends, we'd mostly play golden eye / mario kart 64 instead of the playstation. the N64 didnt have many RPGs, and the playstation has fantastic RPGs, but tbh if you really want RPGs, play the SNES.

abhoriel, I totally agree with you, mate~
IMHO, Nintendo 64 had more AAA titles than PSOne, especially when considering the fact that PSOne had a billion more games in their library than N64 did.

Anyway...

I got bored.  :'(

Note: I never bothered to adjust the time on my camera for daylight savings.
SONY PS3
SONY PS4 Slim
SONY PS4 Pro

GPD XD

abhoriel

Re: JXD s5110
« Reply #211 on: May 13, 2012, 02:54:20 pm »
is the touchscreen on this console good enough to use it for onscreen analog (say for N64 and PS1 emulation)

Xavier

« Reply #212 on: May 13, 2012, 03:05:04 pm »
Well, the Overclocked Kernels (or normal clock) for the Android 2.3 firm of s5110 are ready. I've made kernels from 800 to 1,2 ghz (1,2 probably will be unstable). Remember that in order to use them you have to be in Android 2.3 firmware.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/69559458/OC_s5110And23.zip

Just extract the zip and copy to the root of your SDCARD one of the update_signed files according to your desired speed (for instance, update_signed800 for 800 mhz). Boot the console into recovery by pressing power + menu, and select apply:sdcard, choose the update_signed file and reboot once installation finishes. I donˇt know how stable they are, so USE IT AT YOUR RISK.

I don't have this console (and probablt won't have it I'm afraid) so thanks a lot to qbertaddict and Deen0X for the testing.

AWESOME !!! Thanks a lot...
Specially if you don't have a S5110... Thanks for doing this. 850Mhz works like a charm... Antutu benchmark confirmed that  ;)
I'm a big fan of android 4 but i finally think 2.3 is better on this kind of device... I had several small problem with the 4 and 2.3 looks more stable.

Seriously, if you have a paypal "donate" account... i would be happy to give you 10$ for the Root and for the overclock.
Maybe you'll find a few people who would be OK to give you a few bucks and you'll be able to offer you a S5110... that would be well deserved.

Thanks Again Skelton  :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 03:14:28 pm by Xavier »

ashwin1234

« Reply #213 on: May 13, 2012, 03:35:34 pm »
Skelton, I hope and wish that you can find out the way to bring the CPU speed up to 1GHz. Otherwise I will have to flash to GB as soon as I get it. I cannot imagine how slow it will be at 600MHz.

skelton (OP)

« Reply #214 on: May 13, 2012, 04:11:15 pm »

ashwin1234, aboy getting 1 ghz "stable", maybe you need that JXD releases a firmware with a higher voltage core in the kernel, in the same way they did for the s601. I suggest that all users of this console email to jxd complaining about the speed. Maybe they listen as they did with the s601 and they change the kernel. That way i think that 1 ghz could be possible. If not, maybe 850 or 900 is the best we can do the moment. I have the hope that JXD releases some new firmware correcting some mistakes.

Xavier, you are welcome. But no donations please, I couldn't accept that.
Retired

cutterjohn

• c
  • !
« Reply #215 on: May 13, 2012, 04:42:58 pm »
well, I got wifi analyzer installed(along with android system info - electricsheep) and did some wifi testing in the house(ICS default fw) and notice that when attempting to connect that signal gets pulled VERY low then tends to pop back up once it is connected and has obtained an IP addr this happens even when very close to the router.

Android sys info is reporting 200MHz-1GHz clock range for me as well, but I haven't gotten around to adding any additional diagnostic apps yet or dumped dmesg from it yet.  Might be a good idea to do that right now.  I also noticed that Android sysinfo seems to think that it has two cameras, and it also appears in the "features" section with a .camera and a .camera.front ...

The default android kb seems to be missing chunks or it has some new way of accessing numerics/punctuation/other symbols now, so I'm back to the baidu kb.

@ashwin1234
It's actually not too bad with the default ICS and I just can't go back to pre-HC UI again.  It's bad enough having to wait for my phone to update to ICS.  I'll admit that I haven't tried fpse on it yet, but it seemed to work pretty well(Vandal Hearts, FF7) on an old ARM11 600MHz phone that I had(Qualcomm MSM7627 + Adreno 200) so I'd expect an cortex-a9 even a bit gimped + MALI-400 to do a decent job as well.  I'll have to grab a copy of fpse off my phone and try some games.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 04:49:22 pm by cutterjohn »

Xavier

« Reply #216 on: May 13, 2012, 09:08:23 pm »
Skelton, OK.
But i paid 99$ to JXD for a unusable shitty console... and now i have a clean nice one... That has a price.
People tend to think only hardware has a price... As a software engineer i know that's wrong ;)
Anyway let me/us know if you change your mind.

Cutterjon, the non-chinese Keyboard seems to be broken in Android 4 in landscape mode.
The space bar, the number shift key and other keys are hidden under the status bar.
Turn you console 90° and they'll appear.
That's one of the reason i switched to Android 2.3.

crzune

« Reply #217 on: May 13, 2012, 09:50:35 pm »
wow that's quite a collect you got there, pretty cool  ;D

jweck

AW: Re: JXD s5110
« Reply #218 on: May 13, 2012, 11:00:09 pm »
Skelton, OK.
But i paid 99$ to JXD for a unusable shitty console... and now i have a clean nice one... That has a price.
People tend to think only hardware has a price... As a software engineer i know that's wrong ;)
Anyway let me/us know if you change your mind.
Fully agree. If you change your mind Skelton, count me in :P:P

willgoo

• * Confirmed Reseller
    • Willgoo - Retro Handheld Paradise
« Reply #219 on: May 14, 2012, 02:31:35 am »

ashwin1234, aboy getting 1 ghz "stable", maybe you need that JXD releases a firmware with a higher voltage core in the kernel, in the same way they did for the s601. I suggest that all users of this console email to jxd complaining about the speed. Maybe they listen as they did with the s601 and they change the kernel. That way i think that 1 ghz could be possible. If not, maybe 850 or 900 is the best we can do the moment. I have the hope that JXD releases some new firmware correcting some mistakes.

Skelton, do you mean the updated firmware for JXD S5110 or the original one? Till now, JXD is asking their technical men to adjust the firmware. I think they will release an updated firmware for S5110 without lock the CPU at 600mHz. I will let you know more news about it. Hope they can adjust the CPU speed to help you guys flash the device.

megaman

« Reply #220 on: May 14, 2012, 06:46:29 am »
Skelton, OK.
But i paid 99$ to JXD for a unusable shitty console...

You think yours was unusable... when I got mine on Saturday the screen was cracked. The crack meant the touchscreen didn't work at all—I couldn't even unlock it. So back in the box it went. That was pretty disappointing. I immediately emailed Willgoo about it, so we'll see what happens.

I have been lurking on this forum for a while and wanted to thank everyone for their feedback on the device. I was especially looking forward to trying skelton's custom firmware—thanks for doing that, skelton, by the way. I too was disappointed to learn that the screen was not capacitive as advertised. Now that I have to get a new one anyway, I was considering getting the YDPG18A (which apparently has a real capacitive screen) instead. Does anyone have any experience with both the Yinlips YDPG18A and the S5110, or any recommendations either way? Thanks.

skelton (OP)

« Reply #221 on: May 14, 2012, 06:53:26 am »

Skelton, do you mean the updated firmware for JXD S5110 or the original one? Till now, JXD is asking their technical men to adjust the firmware. I think they will release an updated firmware for S5110 without lock the CPU at 600mHz. I will let you know more news about it. Hope they can adjust the CPU speed to help you guys flash the device.

Willgoo. is there un updated firmware for s5110? I only see one firm in their web page. But good to know that they are working in a new firmware. I hope they can correct some of the mistakes in Android 4.0 firm. If they release a new one maybe I can make some new kernels for it, even though I don't have the console.
Retired

jweck

JXD s5110
« Reply #222 on: May 14, 2012, 07:28:23 am »

anyone have any experience with both the Yinlips YDPG18A and the S5110, or any recommendations either way? Thanks.

Qbertaddict did order both. I am sure that he will create some mini review videos. My YDPG18A is also on its way

megaman

« Reply #223 on: May 14, 2012, 07:41:58 am »
anyone have any experience with both the Yinlips YDPG18A and the S5110, or any recommendations either way? Thanks.

Qbertaddict did order both. I am sure that he will create some mini review videos. My YDPG18A is also on its way

Wow, that would be great. Thanks. This is my first device of this kind, and I'd prefer to get the right one if possible.

ashwin1234

« Reply #224 on: May 14, 2012, 08:28:11 am »
Can the default launcher be replaced with any other launcher? What about side-loading apk's? Someone mentioned about having to ADB push the apk's onto the S5110. It does not support installing apk's through a file manager? I personally use Swiftkey X on my Galaxy S II and Thumb Keyboard on my China tablet. Swiftkey is the best keyboard out there. The text recognition and correction are phenomenal and way better than the other keyboards I have tested( ICS KB, Go keyboard, GB KB,Swype)

@Skelton, Thanks for explaining, I will stick to ICS when it arrives then, since some people reported it as being quite OK to use.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 12:08:22 pm by ashwin1234 »

Post a new topic