Author Topic: Jxd s192  (Read 874 times)

bonkeydave (OP)

Jxd s192
« on: November 20, 2016, 11:48:52 pm »
Hi..

Bit of advice please, I already have a Jxd s7800... was looking at these new Jxd s192 bits of kit. Are they worth getting or is there something similar I should be looking at.

Thanks dave

halljames

Re: Jxd s192
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 12:31:07 pm »
Its a really nice device, and I thought I would have recommended it, but, mine is now dead after only a few months, so I do feel like there are quality issues with this.

Plus, one of the biggest things about this device that lead me to want one was the Nvidia chip, and the prospect of playing games like Half Life, Borderlands 2 etc from the google play store, but alas, it was a no go.

bonkeydave (OP)

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 04:23:36 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Now seen they have stopped making, considering the gpd xd ... just not sure

halljames

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 12:09:02 pm »
In contrast, I also have a GPD XD (the 64GB one) and I can say that I have not had any issues with it at all.

Just seems to work really well and is very sturdy and reliable. I wish it were a little bit more powerful (PSP emulation is not as good as I would have liked, mind you, it wasn't on the JXD either).  I have not messed around with Rooting it, or trying out different ROMS to get more performance though.

I would recommend it though.

luckyphil

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 06:25:26 pm »
I bought the GPD XD off eBay, was great for about 24 hours, then the battery went from 80% to nothing and powered off, then refused to charge. Apparently it's uncommon, but has happened to other GPD XDs out in the wild. I opted for a refund instead of a swap. It's probably very uncommon, but one bitten, etc etc.

Issue documented by someone else here: http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-android-devices/gpd-xd-no-response-not-turning-on-no-lights-nothing/45/
I was asked by the seller to video the issue: Did so here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6HXLLoBjvw

I bought the S192 Singularity and was a bit PO'd I couldn't just install the games on the promo pics like Portal, Trine2 and Half Life 2 from the play store. I then installed the firmware updates via links in the JXD Facebook page - https://mega.nz/#F!Ewp2FQgD!_4ThgwYYR8oiwwl0mbsH6w - and rooted the device. This allowed me to write to SD (after installing SD FIX *root* (Kitkat issue)) (Use Kingo Root APK, not the root tool they give you...)

I then installed the games I wasn't able to via the Play Store via play.mob.org - definitely not legal, however I don't feel guilty since I already own these games on both Steam and Good Old Games (OK, I bought games on special without checking if I had them already... damn the Steam Sales :P). I also installed Happy Chick to fulfill most of my emulation needs and then some other emus where I wasn't happy with how Happy Chick handled certain games (PSP games mainly). The device performs beautifully in game. Flawlessly. Grand Theft Auto Vice City, San Andreas, etc are smooth, fast and beautiful. A Bard's Tale w the HD Graphics, so fun.

Kitkat is an old OS, so navigation and interfaces are ok, but it's not "buttery smooth" like more modern OS's. Games work bloody great, very happy. Many games without native gamepad support can be played using controls by pressing and holding Start for 4 seconds and assigning controls to touch points on screen. For Castle Of Illusion this works really well. Games which rely heavily on touch... well... touch the screen, it still works fine.

Getting it how I like it was a bit of a clustermuck, so bear that in mind if you're novice or plan to give it someone who's a novice without doing some prep work on the device first.

I also found Smart Launcher Pro is better to navigate than the generic launcher, automatically categorises games, multimedia, internet, comms, utilities and settings.

Personally I found the GPD smaller than I'd like as I have big hands (You know what they say about big hands... big gloves!) and below average eyesight. Having said that, the GPD XD can be folded up and carried in your pocket, the JXD S192 certainly cannot.

Hope this helps :-)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 06:28:45 pm by luckyphil »

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 08:32:22 am »
LuckyPhil is right! I myself love my Jxd Singularity S192 above my Nvidia Shield Portable and my Gpd Xd. The difference between the S192 and the others is one must do more self adjusting lol.
Alienware 18 Sli Gtx 880m
Nvidia Shield Portable
Gpd Xd Red 64gb
Hp Destop Gtx 750ti
Hp Envy Desktop Beats By Dre Amd Graphics card
PlayStation 3 320gb

LordDavon

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 05:54:11 pm »
If you can get the K1, I highly recommend it.  If you are getting the new S192K or whatever they are calling it, there are better options.

Post a new topic