Author Topic: Installing JXD S603 firmware into S602, and some things really interesting  (Read 8587 times)

tiagao_extremo (OP)

Hi everyone, i created this topic cause i need you guys help. First, i have a JXD S602, but this device never had a "normal" behavior, and i always thought that this would be related to the firmware. There's some sort of instability with it. It just plays fine, but then after 10-15 days the system would give me errors and eventually i would need to reinstall the firmware which is strange cause i know some people with their S5110 which has the stock firmware for the last 3 months, and i keep having these problems since october when i got it. At first thought maybe this could be related to the hardware. Another bizarre thing is that when i connect the s602 into the pc it always shows the same behavior: it will recognize the internal memory and the sdcard, but then if i disconnect them, the second time my pc/notebook will only recognize the internal memory. Then at the third time it will recognize both of them. I tried with another sdcard and is always like this. Another example is when installing naxeras script when it says to disconnect the device, i would do that and then the green device would still be on, and i would need to press reset in order to start it again. This always makes me wonder what's wrong with it. I know some other people that are having the same problem, so probably i'm not the only one.

Today after 11 days i needed to reinstall the firmware again. System had stopped working. Ok, i thought, but this time i need to try something different, so what could i do? Since the s602 and s603 has almost the same hardware i had the idea to install the firmware from the s603 into the s602. It worked! Even naxeras script could be installed with no problems.

This firmware seems to be even better. When i install the firmware from the s602 the system usually takes 43 seconds to start, and with the s603 it takes 34 seconds. I installed naxeras script and the device never stayed with the green led on during the steps. Everyone knows about the sound lag issues, but using this firmware this lag becomes almost unnoticeable. The system is totally fast and stable.

But then, not everything is perfect. My first problem is that i "lost" my L & R buttons cause the s603 doesn't own them. Would it be possible to remap them from the original s602 layout or maybe restore the original layout from the s602? I know that we don't have access to the source codes, but what about this?

Second problem: No wifi. Probably the devices uses different wifi boards. Would it be possible using root explorer or another application to restore the original wifi drivers from the original s602 firmware?

Even if i couldn't restore my wifi, if i could remap the l & r buttons it would be already great cause the system would be fast and stable. If i can have some android system that wouldn't need to reinstall it every two weeks losing wifi connection wouldn't be really all that bad.

I hope you guys can help me. My device is the first version, so i don't know if installing the firmware from s602b would be a good idea. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, and sorry for the long text.

skelton

Tiagao, it's strange what happens to your device, I have been using for two monthis without the need of reinstalling firm.

About the buttons, it will depend on how JXD stablish buttons layout. You can try replacing some files from s602 to s603,
like the ones in /system/usr/keylayout, and the key2touch apk to see if csn make the trick.

About wifi, not sure if the wifi module is loaded into kernel or it's loaded from a simple ko file. You can search a wlan.ko  file in s602 and try to replace it to.
Maybe also some changes in build.prop can be necessary, so it's not a very easy task.
Retired

tiagao_extremo (OP)

Tiagao, it's strange what happens to your device, I have been using for two monthis without the need of reinstalling firm.

About the buttons, it will depend on how JXD stablish buttons layout. You can try replacing some files from s602 to s603,
like the ones in /system/usr/keylayout, and the key2touch apk to see if csn make the trick.

About wifi, not sure if the wifi module is loaded into kernel or it's loaded from a simple ko file. You can search a wlan.ko  file in s602 and try to replace it to.
Maybe also some changes in build.prop can be necessary, so it's not a very easy task.

I know that this probably goes beyond my knowledge, so Skelton would you please consider showing me the way?

skelton

If you have the firm of s603 installed (the ICs version), send me if you can a copy of the following:

key2touch apk (probably located in system/app)

build.prop (located in system)

files inside /system/usr/ (all the subfolders)

And files and subfolders located in /system/vendor

I can try to take a look at them to see what's inside them (but don't promise anything, since I don't have much time lately)
Retired

t00nz

You can download the Android 4.0 firmware for the GP330XX chipset directly from JXD here http://www.jxd.cc/download.asp?id=290&selectclassid=019009
.  The page is in Chinese, but use a web translator (such as built-in with Chrome) as the instructions are very simple and can be understood.

My 603 became arratic once also, but it occurred soon after installing a beta version of Mupen64.  If you're also using Mupen, then I would suspect that of causing your issues.

As for using key2touch, this YouTube does a good job showing how to use it.
<a href="https://web.archive.org/web/20190313154027/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UouKTSG66vo" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UouKTSG66vo</a>

As for the 603, I really miss the L/R buttons, but the front facing camera was more important for me to video Skype while traveling (and with 4.0, it runs Skype great!).

tiagao_extremo (OP)

If you have the firm of s603 installed (the ICs version), send me if you can a copy of the following:

key2touch apk (probably located in system/app)

build.prop (located in system)

files inside /system/usr/ (all the subfolders)

And files and subfolders located in /system/vendor

I can try to take a look at them to see what's inside them (but don't promise anything, since I don't have much time lately)

Hi Skelton, first of all thanks for your help. I'm always following your posts here, and i know you want to focus into your personal life and family, and you're totally right about this, so take your time and don't worry. At the least you want to help me and i'm already grateful for this. I don't know what happens to this device. I tried to install the firmware for the s602b version and g-mass just stopped with errors, so now i know for sure that mine is first version.

Most probably you would need these files before installing naxeras script right? Then i will reinstall the firmware to get these files from a fresh install.

You probably know about this Skelton, but do you know that we can change files between the firmwares? If you look at these firmwares from s602 and s603 you will notice that they have the same folders structure, bootheader, code, conf, log, etc. So let's just say that the layout buttons it's inside the kernel file, so i can copy the kernel file from s602 firmware and install it using the modified firmware from the s603. I'm telling you this because if we could switch some files from the firmwares in order to recover the l and r buttons and wifi, that would help.

By now i will reinstall the firmware and then copy the files you want to send them. Thanks again for your support. :)

tiagao_extremo (OP)

Hey Skelton, here are the files you asked me. I did a fresh reinstall from the s603 firmware into the s602, then i only rooted it in order to install root explorer and then i copied the files that you said, here they are, and don't forget that we can switch some files between these firmwares from the folder code in order to create a more suited firmware for this bizarre hybrid i have. :P

If mediafire blocks or delete this file just let me know: http://www.mediafire.com/?9006kg9rzeo228w

Again, thanks my friend, and don't worry, there's no need to hurry, I'm a patient person. :)

PS: I just noticed that using the s603 firmware the screen won't rotate. I can change the settings manually using smart launcher, but it won't go automatically, strange huh?

PS2: Using epsxe the "circle" button works as the escape button. No idea why.

skelton

Sorry Tiagao, but I am afraid we cannot do antything. Kernel from s602 can not be installed with s603 firmware, because the binary is dfiferent version, so the g-MASS Production Tool stops and don't flash it.

Also, changed manually usr keylayouts and Wifi module but didn't work, so I am afraid they are generated by kernel at every  boot, so I am afraid there is nothing we can do.
Retired

tiagao_extremo (OP)

Sorry Tiagao, but I am afraid we cannot do antything. Kernel from s602 can not be installed with s603 firmware, because the binary is dfiferent version, so the g-MASS Production Tool stops and don't flash it.

Also, changed manually usr keylayouts and Wifi module but didn't work, so I am afraid they are generated by kernel at every  boot, so I am afraid there is nothing we can do.

Hi Skelton, don't worry my friend. At the least you tried to help me, and that's already great. I just hope this didn't had took too much of your free time.

But hey, let me tell you some good news. I sent an email to that person from jxd you gave me the email that same day, and he replied me today. He directed me to download this firmware from jxd english site which was uploaded just yesterday by the way. So that's already a good thing, right? But all of this only happened because of your help, so thanks again. :)

http://www.jxd.hk/download.asp?id=1160&selectclassid=020001

kaio

• All about GCW-Zero on Russian + Repo
This is the same firmware. The MD5 checksum is identical for all three firmwares.
From chinese site [2012-11-29] & from english site [2012-08-27] and new from english  [ 2013-1-21 ]. MD5: 899ccc2e7d060b5a3a840071169c976b
They are only update english site.
Do your firmware have the same MD5 checksum like my firm?
I didn't have any problem this original firmware, only after naxeras script :)
- very long start from power off
- equal date of saves on all emulators (12-31-1969)
- low fps on md.emu & nes.emu
GCW-Zero | JXD S602

tiagao_extremo (OP)

Re: Installing JXD S603 firmware into S602, and some things really interesting
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 07:52:38 pm »
This is the same firmware. The MD5 checksum is identical for all three firmwares.
From chinese site [2012-11-29] & from english site [2012-08-27] and new from english  [ 2013-1-21 ]. MD5: 899ccc2e7d060b5a3a840071169c976b
They are only update english site.
Do your firmware have the same MD5 checksum like my firm?
I didn't have any problem this original firmware, only after naxeras script :)
- very long start from power off
- equal date of saves on all emulators (12-31-1969)
- low fps on md.emu & nes.emu

Exactly the same MD5, kaio, i just noticed that it's basically the same file. They said that any trouble i should talk with them, and this will most likely happen for the next few days. I never had these issues you are having with naxeras script, and md.emu plays really great, even better than gensoid. If you want the system to start a little more faster you could delete the files from the folder init.d and keep only zipalign. Also, if you delete the files mediascanacitvity.apk, mediascanacitvity.odex, mediaprovider.apk and mediaprovider.odex from the folder system > app using root explorer it will make the boot faster.

Dan0

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 10:58:42 pm »
My S602 is having the same problems as Tiagao's.

tiagao_extremo (OP)

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 12:24:01 am »
My S602 is having the same problems as Tiagao's.

Thanks Dan0, i know that some other people here in Brazil are having the same issues. It starts after how many days when you install the firmware? My only hope is that JXD can help us with this.

kaio

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 06:34:31 am »
tiagao_extremo, thanx.  I'll try to do this.
Then I apply the Naxeras script, on the first step (take a root permissions), we have 3 steps after each other and my s602 can't auto power off after it (but script tell us about automatic power off). Only reset button can help me in this issue. Power off button not working. Green light is present.
One day I reinstall original firmware and i see that it not was a correctly install (may be)- then I start my s602 I saw a picture "android", I don't remember, but I think it will be only after apply the Naxeras script.
sorry for my english....
GCW-Zero | JXD S602

tiagao_extremo (OP)

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 12:41:11 am »
tiagao_extremo, thanx.  I'll try to do this.
Then I apply the Naxeras script, on the first step (take a root permissions), we have 3 steps after each other and my s602 can't auto power off after it (but script tell us about automatic power off). Only reset button can help me in this issue. Power off button not working. Green light is present.
One day I reinstall original firmware and i see that it not was a correctly install (may be)- then I start my s602 I saw a picture "android", I don't remember, but I think it will be only after apply the Naxeras script.
sorry for my english....

That's exactly what happens to me, kaio. The funny thing, and you should try, is that if you install the firmware for the s603, everything will work just fine, including the real auto power off during the installation of the script. Let's see if the guys from jxd can help us with this.

kaio

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 07:26:37 am »
tiagao_extremo, but i don't need to install the firmware again in two weeks.
My last installation was 9 december 2012.
I want to try s603 firmware, but if that issue have some problems, i don't want to "brick" my device.

Please see my post in another topic, about "power on" my device, I add a video. (Naxeras Script topic)
GCW-Zero | JXD S602

tiagao_extremo (OP)

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 05:16:48 pm »
tiagao_extremo, but i don't need to install the firmware again in two weeks.
My last installation was 9 december 2012.
I want to try s603 firmware, but if that issue have some problems, i don't want to "brick" my device.

Please see my post in another topic, about "power on" my device, I add a video. (Naxeras Script topic)

Then you're more luckier than me that need to do that every two weeks. You won't brick your device installing the s603 firmware. At the least we know that our problem seems not to be related to hardware, but to the firmware. I hope so.

Dan0

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 01:06:28 am »
I'll be damned!
Installed the S603 firmware onto my S602, and the thing is working great (apart from the issue with the L/R buttons, which aren't native to the s603 - Somewhat annoying for me, but what can you do).

And it now properly powers down after you run Naxera?s script (no more need to press "reset" everytime)

I'm still doing some test. Will keep you informed.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 01:08:28 am by Dan0 »

kaio

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 11:28:56 am »
Hi guys!
I want to install s603 firmware too.
Where are no solution to the button problem? I use L/R buttons in GBA & 6-button Genesis games.
Can anybody try to install 2.3 firmware? May be s602 will working faster?
Naxeras script can't be installed on 2.3?
Can I install s602 original  firmware instead s603 firmware if I want to return to original?
GCW-Zero | JXD S602

tiagao_extremo (OP)

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 12:30:08 pm »
I'll be damned!
Installed the S603 firmware onto my S602, and the thing is working great (apart from the issue with the L/R buttons, which aren't native to the s603 - Somewhat annoying for me, but what can you do).

And it now properly powers down after you run Naxera?s script (no more need to press "reset" everytime)

I'm still doing some test. Will keep you informed.

Yep, s603 firmware is working so much better than the original. The problem is that only the guys from jxd can help us to modify this firmware with the l and r buttons and wifi. Your screen is auto rotating? Share anything you discover here with us ok?

Hi guys!
I want to install s603 firmware too.
Where are no solution to the button problem? I use L/R buttons in GBA & 6-button Genesis games.
Can anybody try to install 2.3 firmware? May be s602 will working faster?
Naxeras script can't be installed on 2.3?
Can I install s602 original  firmware instead s603 firmware if I want to return to original?

Only jxd can modify this since they are the only ones who has access to the source codes.

I installed s603 android 2.3, but wouldn't recommend it. System boots really fast, but there's some strange lags when using basic emulators like snes9x. Besides we can't access usb debugging so naxeras script wouldn't work. Better to stick with android ics.

And don't worry Kaio, you can safely return to any firmware you want by using g-mass, so don't worry you won't lose forever your s602.