Author Topic: hi all noob s7800b  (Read 3815 times)

dipone (OP)

hi all noob s7800b
« on: January 13, 2014, 02:21:48 pm »
hi, got a s7800b at xmas from psp and loving it, been into retro emu for a long time and was shocked how well this device runs games. (cant believe dreamcast works).
 i have a few questions.
1. is the usb to micro usb lead that comes with the JXD an OTG one? i have tried to connect the JXD to my cars ecu with torque but it cant tell when i connect it.
2. is 32gb micro sd the biggest i can use? has anyone tried bigger?
3. is info on Tans CFW. what is the advantage of this over the one on the S7800b. how hard is it to put his CFW on the S7800b and what are the chances of bricking my device?
4. psp emulation. how does it run for you, i have tried it but its unplayable. im not expecting it to be flawless, just wondering if anyone has it running well.

thanks

zipeee

Re: hi all noob s7800b
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 02:41:45 pm »
hi, got a s7800b at xmas from psp and loving it, been into retro emu for a long time and was shocked how well this device runs games. (cant believe dreamcast works).
 i have a few questions.
1. is the usb to micro usb lead that comes with the JXD an OTG one? i have tried to connect the JXD to my cars ecu with torque but it cant tell when i connect it.
3. is info on Tans CFW. what is the advantage of this over the one on the S7800b. how hard is it to put his CFW on the S7800b and what are the chances of bricking my device?
4. psp emulation. how does it run for you, i have tried it but its unplayable. im not expecting it to be flawless, just wondering if anyone has it running well.
thanks

1. Usually OTG is a female type a so you can plug a male connector in from a flash drive, hdd, so the cable it comes with isn't OTG.
2. You can use a 64gb if you reformat it FAT32 from exFAT (SDXC=exFAT format by defaut, SDHC=FAT32)
3. overclocking and whatever features the build mentions (varies).  It's not hard to do.  Bricking chance is low if you know what you're doing.
4. PSP runs "ok"...varies from good to to not good depending on ROM.  I find the sound is laggy for me on a lot of ROMs.  But I still have my old PSP and PS3 to play PSP games on which does a better job.

dipone (OP)

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 03:15:51 pm »
it did come with a usb cable and a female usb to micro usb cable too. i looked on ebay and it looks the same as the otg ones but wasn't sure if it was. i might just buy one that says otg and try it

crispy

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 03:55:05 pm »
Hey,
I currently have a 64gb card reformatted to fat32 like
Zipeee said and it works great
There is a list goin round of PSP games that work well
And ones that don't
Ridge racer 2
Tekken dark reconstruct
Soul caliber
Mortal kombat
Are among those that work good
Putting tans firmware on helps alot with the jxd
From overclocking and speed tweaks to getting rid of the measly 1gb internal storage
I myself use torque in my car but with my fone via Bluetooth
What car do u have then?
be afraid...be very afraid

dipone (OP)

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 07:40:07 pm »
i have a BMW 302d. i have bmw dia on my laptop but would have liked to get it working with the JXD, as this is the only android thing i have.

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 08:07:01 pm »
 i have a few questions.

thanks
1. it is OTG but it will not be able to use every usb device, it needs to have support (android) so IF it works with other androids it should work with the 7800

2. 32gb is official.. 64gb seems to work although it's likely you'll need to format the card to fat32

3. Tan's firmware has a few changes.
A: repartitioned internal flash instead of 1gb app & 5gb (marked as your sd card but it's really flash)
.. Instead it's 5gb app's and 1gb of SD card, also he swaps it so that your physical SD card is seens as the internal and the left over 1gb on the flash is listed as the external sd card (only good for random file storage)
B: offers several overclocked kernels but also you can use stock, Im pretty sure the OC kernels can be used on stock firmware also but better check with tan on that.
C: has rudimentary Bluetooth support via USB dongle.. so far I've not heard of anyone actually getting this working yet, Support will be limited.
D: Has clockwork mod recovery.
E: Tan's comes with some additional apps, eliminates the stock launcher (like your desktop) and uses Nova instead.
... Whether this be a good thing or bad you be the judge

4. PSP Emulation is hit or miss.. some play ok, most are choppy but still playable.. some don't play at all.
I will say that the default governor is trash, it uses interactive I do believe.
I suggest you get a CPU adjusting app.. there are many, Kernel tuner, Set cpu.. Personally I like CPU tuner.
I suggest ondemand governer with a 85% threashold this will give you good responsiveness.

If that still does not work set it to performance, this will run you at top speed 24/7 but it's handy to test apps with because you know it can't possibly get any better then that.

i have a BMW 302d. i have bmw dia on my laptop but would have liked to get it working with the JXD, as this is the only android thing i have.
If it can be done on other android devices, it can be done on your 78.. whether or not it can be done though I don't know.

dipone (OP)

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 08:36:55 am »
thanks for the replies  8)

darklight1138

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 07:46:53 pm »

Yeah, as mentioned, hit or miss. For me:

- Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins - looks terrific and runs terrific in non-buffered rendering (I think that's the high graphic quality setting)
- Final Fantasy Crisis Core - Runs surprisingly well, also in non-buffered rendering. Some FPS drops especially with dialogue, both otherwise looks terrific
- GTA Vice City Stories - Laggy on the lower graphic settings. Playable though
- Einhander - runs and looks good.
- God of War Chains of Sparta - Don't even bother, runs at complete crap
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
JXD S7800b (WebClaw 116.5 ROM)
Sony PSP-3000