Author Topic: Help choosing a device.  (Read 4214 times)

CllinW (OP)

Help choosing a device.
« on: April 28, 2015, 04:50:17 pm »
Hello everyone. I'm currently looking for a 7" android tablet with tactile controls. I have found and cannot choose between the jxd s7300c, the gpd q88+, or the archos gamepad 2. I want one mostly for emulating anything from the nes to dreamcast and gameboy to psp. I'm open to suggestions to devices, as well. I'd also like to note that I want the screen to be responsive enough that I can play the zelda titles on the ds.
Thanks in advance.

Swinky

Re: Help choosing a device.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 06:27:17 pm »
I can't vouch for the 7300, but I am half way through playing Zelda - Phantom hourglass on the Drastic Emulator on the 7800b.  Runs perfectly and no problem at all playing with my finger rather than a stylus.

Spoiler Alert!:  At one point in the game you have to imprint a symbol on your map.  i was stuck until i found out that you do this by closing the DS!  No issues though because the emulator has this option.  Phew!

CllinW (OP)

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 07:32:17 pm »
I can't vouch for the 7300, but I am half way through playing Zelda - Phantom hourglass on the Drastic Emulator on the 7800b.  Runs perfectly and no problem at all playing with my finger rather than a stylus.

Spoiler Alert!:  At one point in the game you have to imprint a symbol on your map.  i was stuck until i found out that you do this by closing the DS!  No issues though because the emulator has this option.  Phew!
I'm mostly looking for a tablet that is travel friendly, (meaning Id like it to be a flatter device) the s7800b's analog sticks wouldn't be backpack friendly I think lol.

foleyjo

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 12:29:22 pm »
GPD Q88+ is a nice size for travel though personally I'm not too keen on the analogs. A bit to flat for me.

Swinky

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 01:11:13 pm »
I had the same problem, but eventually found a case which works for me.  It is meant for a WiiU controller so is the correct length, but a little wider than required.  However, I use this extra width to stores my USB cable etc.

The outside of the case is thick foam, so I can happily put this in my briefcase and not have to worry about damage.  If it gets squeezed the pressure is spread across the whole case so would likely crack the screen before damaging the sticks.

I suppose it really depends upon your preference.  I find my 3DS flat analogue stick a bit annoying now that I'm used to the 7800.

ianinwarwick

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 06:25:40 pm »
I've been hammering my 7800b for a month now. Apart from slow psx and Dreamcast, it runs pretty well. I'm hooked!

CllinW (OP)

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 08:23:29 pm »
I've been hammering my 7800b for a month now. Apart from slow psx and Dreamcast, it runs pretty well. I'm hooked!
That's thw one thing I'm looking to do though. Psp and dreamcast emulation.

ianinwarwick

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 09:35:54 pm »
If you want the newer systems emulating, i would go for something with more horsepower!

CllinW (OP)

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 12:43:15 am »
If you want the newer systems emulating, i would go for something with more horsepower!
What would you recommend?

ianinwarwick

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 07:15:22 am »
If you want a real Dreamcast experience, buy a dreamtrooper :) emulation isnt quite there yet. And get a,PSP. Stupid cheap now. Home brew firmware and run old emulators on it!

Juan

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 01:47:31 am »
Yeah, PSP is good for classic console emulators, some dedicated arcade boards (Capcom and SNK) and of course, PSP games ;D plus lots of cool homebrew stuff.

darklight1138

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 10:36:15 pm »
I just got around to hacking my PSP. It's pretty cool. I love some Flat Out Head On.
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
JXD S7800b (WebClaw 116.5 ROM)
Sony PSP-3000

CllinW (OP)

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 05:54:51 pm »
Would it be better to get an android device or a psp/vita for emulation tho? I'm thinking about getting a tegra device because of the exclusives you can get, but you can get psp's for cheaper. Also, would a tegra device be able to run the sonic adventure and Shemnue games on reicast? And which is better for home few or emulation: psp 3000, psp go, or ps vita?

darklight1138

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2015, 03:32:43 am »
The 7800 can run Shenmue really well. There's a glitch in the notebook diary thing but otherwise it's very playable. Hopefully they'll fix that eventually.

I don't think the Vita has been really completely hacked or whatever. Last time I checked the PSP was better for emu because it's much easier to get emulation running on it. Plus the PSP has tons of great games. So I wouldn't get a Vita unless they're super cheap. Don't get me wrong, I think the Vita has a lot of potential and I like it. But it was pretty much swallowed by Nintendo's handheld. IMHO.
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
JXD S7800b (WebClaw 116.5 ROM)
Sony PSP-3000

CllinW (OP)

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2015, 06:19:23 pm »
What about the shield handheld or tegra note 7 with an ipega pg9023 controller?

ClawShrimp

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2015, 01:04:47 am »
The build quality of the 7300C is pretty hit and miss. Even more so than is usual for JXD. I love the form factor (looks, not feel) ut it's incredibly uncomfortable to play for long periods of time. The Q88+ is fantastic value for money. The Archos has terrible support. Basically, they're all flawed. Personally, I travel with my JXD 7800B and haven't had an issue storing it in my bag (along with a laptop and iPad. The sticks aren't too obtrusive. The same isn't true of my GPD G5A.
Proud owner of
Sony Xperia Play - JXD S5110 - JXD S603 - JXD S5100 - JXD S7300 - JXD S7800B - GPD G5A

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards...checkmate!

ranja81

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 01:12:52 pm »
Not sure if you're still looking but you should check out tomsgiftsandgadgets.co.uk They sell a few different gaming tablets