Author Topic: Hello! and Preparations for getting a JXD S7800B  (Read 3653 times)

IvanRic (OP)

Hello! and Preparations for getting a JXD S7800B
« on: August 25, 2014, 08:01:12 pm »
First and foremost, thank you everyone who's created or contributed to the posts that I have been reading lately.  Specifically neekee, gogogoluke, Raik, Joe Sixpack, and darklight1138.  You guys have provided great tips and information regarding the JXD S7800B. 

A little about myself:  I live in Colorado, USA.  Love retro gaming.  Not very techy, but have some knowledge; I know how to update firmware, move files, etc.

I ordered an S7800B and hopefully should be getting it next week.  This is the first time I have ordered/purchased anything JXD.  From what I gather, the build quality can be dodgy and it seems like its just hit or miss with their products.  I ordered the device directly from the JXD website, so I assuming I won't be getting a US converted AC Adapter, is that correct?  My notes tell me to replace the stock AC Adapter anyway, but I am just curious what I'll receive.  Has anyone else ordered directly from JXD?  Any hassles?  Tips?

Also, has anyone found a carrying case that they recommend?  I am not looking into a hard case at the moment.  I was able to find this case, and the dimensions seem to be okay: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2XC1055438

Joe Sixpack recommended a cheap stand which I will be ordering soon (Thanks again!)

I will also be ordering a micro SD card as well.  I have never owned an Android tablet before, so I am assuming everything like Netflix, Hulu, Facebook, ect work fine and dandy on this device right?

One last question: Does this machine have a sleep mode?  Can you shut off the screen in the middle of a game, and pick back up at a later time?  Or do you have to save it in a save state, exit the game, and then shut down?

Thanks again everyone, I am hoping that my order comes soon, and that I do not have any hardware issues with it.  My brother recently got an nVidia Shield Tablet, and I was very impressed with that.  Its far more expensive, but if I have bad luck with JXD, I think I'll be leaning toward that device.

Joe Sixpack

Re: Hello! and Preparations for getting a JXD S7800B
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 04:48:30 am »
From what I gather, the build quality can be dodgy and it seems like its just hit or miss with their products.
I would say yes.
From a design standpoint the 7800 is pretty damn good.. it's the parts and quality control that is the problem (from a physical standpoint)

I've heard a nasty rumor that units marked to be sold locally (China) are better built.

I ordered the device directly from the JXD website, so I assuming I won't be getting a US converted AC Adapter, is that correct?  My notes tell me to replace the stock AC Adapter anyway, but I am just curious what I'll receive.
You probably will.. I think they toss in what ever charger fits where it's headed.. im not sure.

I've seen the Euro charger and it looks the same, plug is just different.
Either way it's true you'll wanna scrap the charger immediately.. i'd go as far as to say to either
1. already have a replacement USB -> DC Barrel plug cable coming
or 2. be prepared to make your own via snipping off the charger cord and wiring it to a USB plug.

Also, has anyone found a carrying case that they recommend?
I use a Targus case that was originally made for a portable dvd player.. I got it for free, I added foam and then cut out a spot for the 78, However I have heard some say Nintendo Wii U cases seem to work (it's apparently pretty close in size)

I will also be ordering a micro SD card as well.  I have never owned an Android tablet before, so I am assuming everything like Netflix, Hulu, Facebook, ect work fine and dandy on this device right?
Have not used netflix or hulu on it, face book I think has an app, see no reason it wont work.. but again don't use FB

The device has an uncorrected bug in firmware that makes 99% of all video's choppy.. apparently it has to do with Vsync.. I've been away for about 2 months but I think Webclaw's firmware has it fixed now.. Might stop over and take a look.

One last question: Does this machine have a sleep mode?  Can you shut off the screen in the middle of a game, and pick back up at a later time?  Or do you have to save it in a save state, exit the game, and then shut down?
Most android apps are very good at saving their settings. this because the system will automatically clean up old apps when it needs memory, plus being battery powered.

Anyway as for saving games it will vary but most emulators have save state support, most can also be setup to automatically make a save when ever you exit, switch tasks, or change games.. but again this will vary.

Thanks again everyone, I am hoping that my order comes soon, and that I do not have any hardware issues with it.  My brother recently got an nVidia Shield Tablet, and I was very impressed with that.  Its far more expensive, but if I have bad luck with JXD, I think I'll be leaning toward that device.
Yes I hear they're working on it's successor.
The shield is a nice device, Personally I don't like the form factor and I like the larger screen on the JXD.. that's besides the price difference.

Of course the shield is more powerful and better supported also.
My hope is that more companies specially US will if not build then at least design these devices.
I just think JXD cut's to many corners, it's hit or miss on if you get a good one and their firmwares suck.

If the 78 had a few more features, better build quality, and a solid firmware it would be just about perfect in my book.

Raik

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 05:34:26 am »
Has anyone else ordered directly from JXD?  Any hassles?  Tips?

They slow as fuck, expect 2 weeks for delivery plus 3 days waiting for JXD to lift their fat asses to sent the device to the postage service... also for 15 USD they should HAVE used DHL and not the cheapest form of delivery possible in China which is bad as it sounds.

Here is the thread
http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/jxd-official-shop/

For people buying directly from JXD, please join and share your experience as soon as you get your device... I'm keeping it almost up to date but they slow man... slow!

springning

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 07:51:35 am »

They slow as fuck, expect 2 weeks for delivery plus 3 days waiting for JXD to lift their fat asses to sent the device to the postage service... also for 15 USD they should HAVE used DHL and not the cheapest form of delivery possible in China which is bad as it sounds.

Here is the thread

For people buying directly from JXD, please join and share your experience as soon as you get your device... I'm keeping it almost up to date but they slow man... slow!

Electronic products with battery is not be allowed to use the DHL delivery in China

neekee

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 11:58:01 am »
If your device goes off instead of going to sleep mode, as did mine, this means you have the sleep, mode bug which seems to be in most latest versions. Webclaw released a firmware that fixes this. Been using and it's awesome. Just a tip in case of, 'cause I was pretty confused about that for a while myself.

Raik

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 10:27:51 pm »

Here is the thread

Electronic products with battery is not be allowed to use the DHL delivery in China

We not in China, we international shipping, they do send products with battery, just ask geekbuying.

IvanRic (OP)

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 09:39:40 pm »
Hello Everyone.  So I've had my 7800 for a few weeks now.  I had never installed customer firmware before, so that took me awhile to figure out.  But I finally did it, I installed Webclaws firmware version 2.  I had the power button/sleep issue, but I was able to find the fix for it.  Anyway, here are my thoughts on the device:

Hardware: Overall, the device seems pretty sturdy.  The buttons, d-pad & analog sticks feel pretty good for a mobile gaming device.  I have not seen any carrying cases designed for it, so for now, I attached a Wii mote lanyard which seems to work well when I am walking around with it.

AC Adapter: I haven't gotten a chance to get a different charger.  I did inspect the one it came with pretty well, and it seemed brand new.  I did chance it and so far, it seems to be charging and working just fine.  I think I will still invest in a USB charger down the road.

Battery Life: I don't know if this is normal, but after charging the battery one night, I unplugged it and put the machine to sleep.  The next day, the battery was already below 50%.  I think around 30.  It had been asleep the whole time and I do not think any apps were running in the background.  Is that normal to lose so much juice in sleep mode?  Is it just better to power it down when not using?

Firmware/Apps: I didn't play much with the stock firmware before installing Webclaw's, so I really don't know what was there, removed, added, etc.  Is there like a list of the differences and/or improvements?  I did notice that Happy Chick was gone and I didn't know how to get it back.  I googled it and found that I could install 1Mobile Market, and download Happy Chick from there.  Is that good?  bad?  thoughts??  I liked how Happy Chick had all my roms together in the Play list so that's why I installed it again.  And plus, the available games to download ;)

SD Card: I successfully mounted a 32GB card and I moved all my roms over to it, but I am having a hard loading roms from the card.  What's the best way to load roms from the card?  Is there a way to switch the source folder when running emulators?

WiFi: I've read that the WiFi range sucks on this thing.  For the most part, I didn't have any real problems with connectivity.  Of course being several feet near the router is ideal, but I did test longer ranges.  It seemed to work in every room of my house.  Although sometimes, it was laggy and I did get a few disconnects.  That's probably the only negative thing about the 7800 I can think of right now. 

Apps continued: I got the 7800 to use as a tablet as well as a portable gaming machine, as I did sell my iPad.  All my normal apps worked great! (Facebook, Hulu, Netflix, etc.)  All my streaming movie apps worked great as I heard some people had issues playing video.

Overall: I am pretty satisfied!  Besides the fact that I just need to get used to Android, the only thing I don't like is the Wifi.  Again, I use it as a normal tablet, so if I'm in the opposite room as where my router is, the connection is not that great.

Thanks everyone for reading.  I appreciate any additional tips and/or answers to my questions.

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 11:03:15 pm »
AC Adapter: I haven't gotten a chance to get a different charger.  I did inspect the one it came with pretty well, and it seemed brand new.  I did chance it and so far, it seems to be charging and working just fine.  I think I will still invest in a USB charger down the road.
I would advise you do this sooner rather then later, It's not that the chargers are'nt "new"
It's that they appear to be built poorly, probably over rated, and in my on personal opinion they are a probably a fire hazard if not worse and probably are not safe for man nor machine.

If you don't wanna buy a charger just find a old usb cable, snip the end off, then snip the cable off the charger and wire it up, that's what I use, works fine.

Battery Life: I don't know if this is normal, but after charging the battery one night, I unplugged it and put the machine to sleep.  The next day, the battery was already below 50%.  I think around 30.  It had been asleep the whole time and I do not think any apps were running in the background.  Is that normal to lose so much juice in sleep mode?  Is it just better to power it down when not using?
NOT normal.

When on battery the 78 goes into deep sleep with the screen is off, I've had my unit sit for days like that.
It's actually a problem if you have any apps that need to trigger at a certian time like an alarm app.. when it's in deep sleep you get nothing..

but uh.. anyway it sounds like an app had a wake lock active, a wake lock keeps the system partially or full awake.
sometimes it's a rogue app and in cases like that best thing to do is reboot.

Firmware/Apps: I didn't play much with the stock firmware before installing Webclaw's, so I really don't know what was there, removed, added, etc.  Is there like a list of the differences and/or improvements?  I did notice that Happy Chick was gone and I didn't know how to get it back.  I googled it and found that I could install 1Mobile Market, and download Happy Chick from there.  Is that good?  bad?  thoughts??  I liked how Happy Chick had all my roms together in the Play list so that's why I installed it again.  And plus, the available games to download ;)
Never used happy chick, some love it, some hate it.. me? I don't need it so I never used it.
I think it mostly caters to the Chinese but I could be wrong.

SD Card: I successfully mounted a 32GB card and I moved all my roms over to it, but I am having a hard loading roms from the card.  What's the best way to load roms from the card?  Is there a way to switch the source folder when running emulators?
pretty much all emulators i've used let you browse to the directory(folder) you want to load up any rom you want, there are a couple exceptions but generally speaking this should be a non issue

Thanks everyone for reading.  I appreciate any additional tips and/or answers to my questions.
Immediate advice i'll repeat again.. get another charger.
either a usb-> barrel plug cable, or a complete charger.. either way ditch the stock charger.
Also recommend a folding stand.. 78 does not sit well on flat services plus it looks nice in a stand.

darklight1138

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 02:16:27 am »
Here's a topic I made when I was looking for stuff to go along with my 7800. Hope it helps!

http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/a-good-stand-for-the-7800/
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
JXD S7800b (WebClaw 116.5 ROM)
Sony PSP-3000

Post a new topic