Author Topic: How To Get Full Speed PPSSPP on S7800  (Read 59757 times)

kristianity77 (OP)

How To Get Full Speed PPSSPP on S7800
« on: February 12, 2014, 07:54:55 pm »
After finding out on another topic about a program today called NoMone Resolution changer I decided to put it to the test on PPSSPP.  The results speak for themselves.  If in doubt, check out the attached Youtube videos I made of Ridge Racer 2, Kingdom Hearts and Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.

Firstly, install the program from the Play store.  Open it and select a resolution of 480x272 (this is native PSP resolution so therefore the quickest.

Open up PPSSPP, set options as you would normally but have Non Buffered Rendering set and Frameskip at Zero.  Ive not messed with other settings yet as I've not had to.  A lot of games I've tested so far have worked at absolute full speed without slowdowns (S7800 @ 1.6ghz).

I believe the issue with PPSSPP and still continues to be is that even though it can run PSP games at 1XPSP resolution, its still then upscaling to work natively with your devices screen, which is a massive tax on resources.  If however, the program thinks your devices resolution is much lower, it frees up so much more headroom, for zero loss in quality.

Videos Here for proof, with FPS Counter in top right :

http://youtu.be/UWWIP_mu5rc
http://youtu.be/XpDEeUlSGWw
http://youtu.be/6HbQM_2JwIM

EDITED FOR BETTER SETTINGS!!!

Tested games working at full speed on the S7800 with close to no issues

Ridge Racer 1
Ridge Racer 2
Ys Seven
Ys Felghana
Ys Naphitsm
Hot Shots Golf 2
Daxter (Buffered Mode) Use older version of PPSSPP for speed
Darius Burst
FF Crisis Core
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
LocoRoco
Prinny
Prinny 2
Persona 3
Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
Crimson Gem Saga
Wipeout Pure
Ape Escape On The Loose
Gurumin
Brave Story
Castlevania Chronicles
Corpse Party (great game as well!)
Hammerin Hero
Little Big Planet (I cant get saves to work, but savestates are fine)
Lumines
PacMan Championship Edition
Legend Of Heroes Trails In The Sky
Ultimate Ghost N Goblins
Ys I and II
Final Fantasy Tactics
Megaman Powered Up
Lumines
Monster Hunter Freedom 1 and 2
Metal Gear Portable Ops
Manhunt 2
FIFA 12
Dragon Ball Shin Budokai 2
Rengoku 2
FIFA Street 2
Dragon Ball Tag Team
Mortal Kombat Unchained
Soul Calibur

NON WORKING OR NO DIFFERENCE

God Of War (Both unplayable) - Set Cpu to 60 and Frameskip to 0 makes this games playable, but not perfect.
Wipeout Pulse (Still jumpy)
Lemmings  (Not working)
Ratchet And Clank (Still Slow)
Virtua Tennis 3 (A touch slow + glitchy)
GTA VCS - Much quicker than before, but still too slow to be deemed playable (now 15-30FPS)
Half Minute Hero (Glitchy)
Outrun (Glitchy in game)
Streetfighter Alpha 3 (slightly messed up in game graphics, playable though)
Tekken 6
Tekken 5
MGS Peace Walker
Assassins Creed
NFS Most Wanted
Dante Inferno
FF Type 0
Dead Or Alive Paradise

Ill add more as I test

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 05:10:10 pm by kristianity77 »
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

darklight1138

Re: Full Speed PPSSPP on S7800
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 08:59:01 pm »
Works well with Darius Burst.

Wish I hadn't deleted God of War as that would be a great test for this thing.

Good find
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
JXD S7800b (WebClaw 116.5 ROM)
Sony PSP-3000

skelton

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 09:05:35 pm »

Ridge Racer 2 and Darius burst should be full speed (or almost) without changing resolution. (unless 7800 performs worse than i expected). Using non-buffered option speeds everything up, but lot of games are glitchy with random black screens.
Retired

kristianity77 (OP)

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 09:06:02 pm »
Ive tested Daxter (full speed) Everybodys Golf (Full speed Yay!)  Gurumin (Full speed) and Lemmings (Full Speed)

Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

kristianity77 (OP)

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 09:09:02 pm »

Ridge Racer 2 and Darius burst should be full speed (or almost) without changing resolution. (unless 7800 performs worse than i expected). Using non-buffered option speeds everything up, but lot of games are glitchy with random black screens.

From what I can tell, the random black screens on non buffered is what is displayed rather than missing a frame (in my experience with Ridge Racer 2 anyway).  However, by lowering the resolution of the device, it doesn't miss any frames, and the black screen is totally gone. 

A couple of the games yes you have to flick back and forth between Buffered and non buffered, but everything now runs with 0 frameskip.  Turns an OK emulator, into a very very good one in my eyes.
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

acid

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 09:54:13 pm »
Tried ridge racers 2 and yeah it runs really well. Thanks for this kristianity. RR2 is one of my favorite racing games ever and was the one that made me get a psp in the first place. The  weird thing is, I already had this resolution chnger installed but hadn't tried it yet and wasn't expecting the difference to be this big tbqh.

darklight1138

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 10:09:20 pm »

Darius Burst was very playable but subject to some jarring slow downs. This was before Tan's firmware if I remember correctly.

Playing it using the res app makes it much smoother albeit not nearly as good looking.
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
Sony PSP-3000

kristianity77 (OP)

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 10:26:01 pm »

Darius Burst was very playable but subject to some jarring slow downs. This was before Tan's firmware if I remember correctly.

Playing it using the res app makes it much smoother albeit not nearly as good looking.

For what its worth as well, I've been through all of the games I've tested again and the headroom is there to notch the resolution up to the next level without it making any difference to the smoothness.  So you can use 640x360 as well (360x640 in the app) and that cleans the graphics up quite a bit I thought, again, with no loss in performance.
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

kristianity77 (OP)

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 11:56:30 pm »
Works well with Darius Burst.

Wish I hadn't deleted God of War as that would be a great test for this thing.

Good find

Tried God Of War.  Makes no difference to that game.  Totally unplayable.  Suspect thats more an emulator issue than a speed issue causing that to be so slow.

Tried about 20 different games now.  God Of War like mentioned is unplayable no matter what you do.  All the Y's games work perfectly.  Only other game I've had with an issue is Wipeout Pulse.  That has quite a bit of stutter still no matter what settings applied.
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

Fanatic

• Retro Gaming Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 02:58:50 pm »
Try out Final Fantasy IV. That game is super buggy for me.

crispy

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 03:03:31 pm »
Hey guys
What DPI setting should I put in that app?
be afraid...be very afraid

kristianity77 (OP)

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 04:17:36 pm »
Try out Final Fantasy IV. That game is super buggy for me.

I haven't got that game.  If its buggy, then this wont fix it.  If its slow however, but otherwise fine, then it WILL speed it up to pretty much full speed.
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

darklight1138

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 11:36:54 pm »
Hey guys

I've been using the default 200 dpi.
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
Sony PSP-3000

kristianity77 (OP)

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 07:23:25 pm »
For anyone interested I've put better resolution settings in the first post and listed all games I've so far tried so not to waste anyones time that wants to try some.  I've noticed a lot of the compatibility lists online are outdated or dont really apply so much on android so have started my own.
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

crispy

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 08:44:29 pm »
Hey guys

I've been using the default 200 dpi.
ok thanks
be afraid...be very afraid

darklight1138

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 11:54:40 pm »
I'm going to mess around with GTA:VCS again as soon as I can. It ran ok before, and seems to run better this time. But there are still weird speech slowdowns (where it sounds like the characters are drunk or high -- which may not be a stretch lol).

I also got the in-game unlockables for Castlevania X,  Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night, to actually run although they're pretty slow. Before this program, I couldn't even get them to load at all.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 11:56:39 pm by darklight1138 »
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
Sony PSP-3000

kristianity77 (OP)

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 12:16:36 am »
There is a new version of PPSSPP on the store now as well.  0.9.7 i believe.  Havent gone back over any of the games that I had trouble with yet but there looks like there might well be a few fixes for some.
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

darklight1138

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 12:19:19 am »
I'm going to mess around with GTA:VCS again as soon as I can. It ran ok before, and seems to run better this time. But there are still weird speech slowdowns (where it sounds like the characters are drunk or high -- which may not be a stretch lol).

Edit: GTA:VCS for some reason cannot be ran with non-buffered rendering so I am not sure if this app can make much of a difference. There's actually a lot of slowdown but I am still messing around with settings. Don't think I can do much more though. Probably more of an emulation problem as GTA has a lot going on at one time.

I also got the in-game unlockables for Castlevania X,  Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night, to actually run although they're pretty slow. Before this program, I couldn't even get them to load at all.

Dunno why the forum did this. Just meant to edit my previous post....
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 12:32:52 am by darklight1138 »
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
Sony PSP-3000

kristianity77 (OP)

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 12:33:21 am »
Yeah Ive just tried VCS and whilst it does speed the game up a fair bit its still not enough to be playable (im getting around 15-20fps - its still double what I was getting before.  Deffo an emulator issue.)  Frameskip 1 however makes it full speed, but its too jumpy to play.  I'm sure games like these will come good eventually.   I think there is some kind of weird graphical post processing going on with this game, like there was on the PS2 version of Vice City to give it a neon 80s look.  You can see it around edges of the environment on lower resolutions.  Id bet thats what is causing the extreme slowdown.  Be interesting to try out Liberty City Stories to see if that has the same problem.

Thinking about it, that would explain why in non buffered mode all we are seeing is a black screen.  I think on the PSP Vice City used to render a frame, apply the post processing and then display the frame in the next one.  So on the PSP it was always 1 frame behind I believe.  If non buffered mode is trying to display the exact frame at the right time, there is going to be nothing to display, hence the black screen.   This might be a game they never manage to fix then in that rate.

In buffered mode however I can get the framerate now between 20-30 using the PSPs native resolution of 480x272 on the resolution switcher and then using PSPx1 in the settings
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 12:56:33 am by kristianity77 »
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

nielo360

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 12:44:09 am »
Those of you have god of war issues, try messing with the cpu clock at 60, and frameskip at 3, this made a huge difference almost full speed granted im using a shiled, but each cpu is different so the setting need to be messed with more. Also dont load state to test the game, you have to load it normally for the setting to work properly.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic