Author Topic: Bricked S7800  (Read 10582 times)

Joe Sixpack

Re: Bricked S7800
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 03:55:24 pm »
If anyone on this board knows what's going on I bet it's seklton, try sending them a PM.
Short of me duplicating the problem (and Im not even sure it's not just a fluke and can't be duplicated) and trying to work off a solution on my end im not sure how to help.

kristianity77 (OP)

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 03:58:53 pm »
Its actually very easy to solve the problem of a brick in fairness.  The shorting of the NAND is extremely easy.  It wasnt working for me for quite a while but then I figured out that on my device anyway, even with a full charge of battery, it wouldnt work properly unless the AC adapter was plugged in. 

To be fair, the kitkat rom on a basic level is very nice.  The problem is, is that JXD have changed the screen refresh to 66hz (according to retroarch and another app i use)  which causes all emus to be jumpy again.  Why on earth they would change this is beyond me.
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

Vimtoman

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 06:36:45 pm »
I think this may be the same solution as posted but here it is anyway. Hope it helps.

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?1892-fix-corrupted-nand-flash-10B-G3-8-gig-version

kristianity77 (OP)

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 06:47:11 pm »
Right, for anyone else that has this issue where you find you are near enough bricked, I've finally managed to get it all working again.

For my device anyhow, it would NOT let me Roll back from Kitkat 4.4 (RileyRom 1.2) to any other firmware without bricking.  They way around it is however quite easy.  Just go from Rileyrom 1.2 to Rileyrom 1.1 (which is Android 4.3 based).  This will then allow you to flash whatever you want as normal with RKbatchtool.

If anyone else ever gets into a near enough total brick and wants to recover.  This is a picture of the inside of my S7800:

http://postimg.org/image/oentwhfnj/

Labelled are the pins you need to short in order to be able to bring your device back from the dead and allow a NAND erase and reflash
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

Vimtoman

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 09:47:04 pm »
Well done Kris and thanks for the pic.

kristianity77 (OP)

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 09:57:22 pm »
Its still now being sold off though on the cheap as I have a perfomance issue with it that I cannot get rid of so will try out a different device now, had enough of this one lol ;D
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

the_randomizer

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 10:22:40 pm »
Its still now being sold off though on the cheap as I have a perfomance issue with it that I cannot get rid of so will try out a different device now, had enough of this one lol ;D

Yeah....I think I might get the G5A after all.

WebClaw

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 01:45:53 am »
I'm guessing you installed the newer ROM (1.5X JXD) - which sends newer IDB information to the unit.
My ROM's are based on 4.2.2 are are NOT compatible with the newer IDB information - hence the issue you had.

Glad you figured out how to block the NAND (RX - I believe all are Z). Cheers.

If you want, I can send you the steps to go back to 4.2.2.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:49:14 am by WebClaw »

kristianity77 (OP)

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 02:33:38 am »
I'm guessing you installed the newer ROM (1.5X JXD) - which sends newer IDB information to the unit.
My ROM's are based on 4.2.2 are are NOT compatible with the newer IDB information - hence the issue you had.

Glad you figured out how to block the NAND (RX - I believe all are Z). Cheers.

If you want, I can send you the steps to go back to 4.2.2.

The performance issues started for me when I went to Webclaws 2.013 I believe it was.  Prior to that I was on Webclaw 1.02 and I never had this issue. However, this issue has now followed me around no matter what firmware I go to.   I went back to 1.02 and the issue turned out to carry on.  I then went to your tw116-1 which had the same issue and then to the kit kat rom which was the same.  Im now on Tans and still get it.  So i dont know if its a software issue or my 7800 is on the blink.

Regarding getting back to the older firmwares in the end I went from RileyRom 1.2 (which is the kitkat one) back to RileyRom 1.1.  This then allowed me to flash whatever I wanted with RKbatchtool.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:39:11 am by kristianity77 »
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

death-droid

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 10:44:33 pm »
Hmmm ive tried things you have but I think in my boat mines completely dead :| Will only flash the first 52kb of the rom then immediately fail. :\
http://sicktechstuff.com - Android gaming tablet reviews, guides and more

kristianity77 (OP)

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2014, 11:23:12 pm »
Hmmm ive tried things you have but I think in my boat mines completely dead :| Will only flash the first 52kb of the rom then immediately fail. :\

How did yours fail in the first place, what was it you were trying to do initially to kill it as it were?

And also, I have to note that whether my battery was half full, full or whatever, it would NOT flash without the AC adapter in. It HAS to be plugged in.
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

death-droid

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2014, 04:43:54 am »
Was flashing a new rom... tablet randomly died durring it (even the battery was full before charging) then it starting refusing to download new roms... (Will only download the loader, paramter file and misc.img file succesfully, anything else after fails instantly)
http://sicktechstuff.com - Android gaming tablet reviews, guides and more

iguerendiain

FIXED WITHOUT OPENING THE JXD :D
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2014, 02:34:26 am »
I bricked my device when I tried to put a recovery image for KitKat when I had Jallybean.

After that, rkflashkit was not giving me a partition list, the device was always with the screen turned off, it only was detected by my computer for more than a few seconds if the AC adapter was connected and any action with upgrade_tool returned FAILED.

What I did was download the corresponding loader from here: http://dl.radxa.com/rock/images/loader/ (Which for Jellybean is the 1.24) and write the loader like this:

./upgrade_tool UL RK3188Loader\(L\)_V1.24.bin

After that I just burned an image of a custom firmware like always:

./upgrade_tool UF webclaw-tw116-9-VSYNC\(4GB\).img

And because I have a T model I finally used rkflashkit to write the stock kernel so it does not overclock it.

- Regards - Nacho -

Post a new topic