Author Topic: Asking Opinion on Stock s7800B without rom updates  (Read 3859 times)

firestonex (OP)

Asking Opinion on Stock s7800B without rom updates
« on: March 01, 2015, 04:57:37 am »
I recently ordered the 16gb s7800B and it should be in in a few weeks.

I have been doing a little research, (which brought me to this site) and I am seeing all sorts of talk about custom firmware, ROMS, ect...

I don't really feel to confident with installing custom stuff, unless I find problems with the system that I can't get around. I'd be afraid of screwing up and bricking the device.

So my question is, to those who have used the device, what kind of experience should I be expecting out of the box.
(This is suppose to be android 4.4.4. installed)

With stock rom/firmware, what kind of performance issues will I run into, especially running emulators from NES to N64/psp?

Will I really need to figure out all this custom modding stuff, or will I be fine for what I need it for?

153stars

Re: Asking Opinion on Stock s7800B without rom updates
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 08:00:31 am »
Lujjis custom is great that is cleaned of bloat ware, instructions,update  tools extra  apps ect , adjustable sd sizes as well ,alot of fixes over new stock 4.4.4 ava from JXD online . Biggest prob with stock rom you will probably get is 1gb internal sd  size and root will be broken "not rooted properly" Pogodancer has rooted stock 4.4.4 that is cleaned of bloat ware, instructions,update  tools extra  apps ect keeps stock keymapper I think it has 3gb int.sd. Many bugs are fixed in stock4.4.4 from JXD and both are built on that .
Start reading up lujjis thread recent install problem threads & you won't brick it. I had more probs getting driver installed than anything and a zip program that was not unpacking thing right than anything.
 NOW THERE IS RK DRIVER HELPER THAT WILL PUSH DRIVER FOR YOU NOT IN EITHER  FIRMWARE PACKET YET. It even pushed into win 8 no special tricks but I never got RK batch tools to find device so i used win7. I might of had plugged into usb3.0 that won't work at all. I backed up test app file free games included  , emulators that were included, reinstalled game center. For N64 get N64oid emulator others have crackly sound, it has it's own keymapper.
I haven't heard of any people getting a new 7800 with 4.4.4 yet.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 08:02:28 am by 153stars »

Swinky

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 11:57:13 pm »
I was similar to yourself firestonex, in that I wasn't sure about custom firmwares at first.  However,  in the end my curiosity got the better of me and I tried out a few.

If you are purely wanting to use the 7800 for emulators then you may find you don't need to change from stock.  One of the reasons I upgraded was that I ran out of room for apps.  This really does happen quite quickly if you start adding android games.  However, emulators are relatively small apps and let you store the roms on your SD card, so you won't hit this limit with emulators alone.

I have never noticed any great speed increase using custom firmwares, although admittedly I am reluctant to try the upper limit clock levels.  Stability counts for a lot!

On stock expect:

PERFECT
Atari 2600,  Zx Spectrum,  C64,  NES,  Master System, Gamegear, Lynx, Gameboy, GB Color, GB advance, Genesis, SNES, Others of similar era

Some Very Slight Sound / Graphical Issues (but totally playable)
Nintendo 64
Dreamcast
NeoGeo
Nintendo DS
PSOne
MAME (totally dependant upon the games)

Requires Frameskip
Sony PSP

Forget it, regardless of firmware!
PS2
Gamecube

You won't regret your purchase based on emulator play.  Although I have a powerful PC, XBox1, 3DS etc, I spend an inordinate amount of time with this JXD

firestonex (OP)

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 01:58:21 pm »
Thanks for the reply Swinky. It's good to know.

I have a few other concerns if anyone could address. I would like to know about emulators. I am told that some of the emulators that come with the system are good, but for some emulation there are better "pay" emulators that you can purchase.

So I was wondering which emulators are the best.

Also, I recently read that the system only gives you 1gb of space to store apps, and the rest is for other stuff. Is there a way around that? I think there is custom firmware that will fix it, but I have no clue where to start.

Also, in regards to roms/firmware, are there any good video tutorials anywhere that I could watch that takes you step by step through the process? I'm more of a visual learner. It's hard for me to understand something just from reading about it.

Thanks again helping out this noob.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 02:00:12 pm by firestonex »

Swinky

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 08:45:34 pm »
The stock firmware comes with Happy Chick installed, plus the option to install free emulators from it.

Happy Chick seems good in the beginning because you simply search for a game, it gives you a download button and you get it.  If you need the emulator it downloads this too.  it gives you some information and screenshots too, so your not simply choosing from a text list of roms.

However:

The download rate is really slow.  The servers it uses are fine for genesis or Snes games, but anything bigger and you'll be waiting an age.
The emulators are in Chinese.  Although your games will be English (or whatever language your ROM is) the emulator menus are in Chinese so I found it impossible to change any options or even save a game.

Pretty important

I use Gamesome instead of Happy Chick and find it much better.  I also use the .EMU type emulators which are rock solid.  Look them up on Google play and see what you think.

Swinky

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 11:05:31 pm »
I've tried a few of the custom firmwares.  Each has it's own merits depending upon your preference, and spec of device.  My main reason for this was the measly RAM limit.  The custom firmwares usually fix this.

I'm currently on the firmware below and very happy with it.  The only thing I didn't like was the loss of the stock key mapper, but now that I've figured out how to use Tincore's mapper, i don't miss it anymore

http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/(s7800)-kitkat-custom-firmware-(android-4-4-4)/

There are likely some video tutorials out there, but it really isn't difficult.  Download the firmware you want, use the RK batchtool from here or the JXD site. Follow the instructions and reboot.

The only issue I had was connecting to the JXD using USB.  On my standard port my PC saw the JXD but wouldn't allow me to access it.  Following advise on this form, connecting the USB cable to one of my motherboard USB ports (rather than one on the PC front panel) fixed this immediately.

firestonex (OP)

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 12:47:14 pm »
Has anyone tried using a 128gb sd card in it? I know offically it only accepts 32gb, but I was wondering if it would work.

I read somewhere that as long as you format it as a fat32 format, it should work... But I was wanting to check before I spend the money on an micro sd card that size if there is no chance of it working.

Swinky

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 06:48:45 pm »
I use a 64Gb card and it works fine.  The firmware switches this to make it your internal memory, so plenty of room for apps etc.

How much are the 128Gb cards going for now?  If significantly more expensive, then I would just get two 64Gb cards.

Always nice to have everything on just one card though!

firestonex (OP)

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 03:20:06 pm »
Thanks Swinky, you've been a big help.

I bought a 128gb sd card for 15 dollars off ebay. Turned out fake though. :(  FIGURES.

I have seen them priced around $100 or so. I wish they had 256 gb cards. sigh.. I want to hold all my roms on one sd, but that's not gonna happen.

firestonex (OP)

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 10:09:37 am »
I use a 64Gb card and it works fine.  The firmware switches this to make it your internal memory, so plenty of room for apps etc.

How much are the 128Gb cards going for now?  If significantly more expensive, then I would just get two 64Gb cards.

BTW, will that work with the original firmware, or just the custom firmware that you installed?

153stars

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 03:38:05 pm »

BTW, will that work with the original firmware, or just the custom firmware that you installed?
Not sure of original but works with stock 4.4.4 and pogodancer rooted stock 4.4.4 ,lujjis 4.4.4
BY THE WAY UNLESS YOU SPEND at least $70-100 a 128 will be a fake use fake flash test to check any sd cards you get on the cheap any for that matter then reformat. I got fake 64 advertised side bar pc mag . Got refund reformatted to 17 & 14 gb they were actually defective one is blazing fast just 14 gb now.

firestonex (OP)

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 08:51:26 pm »

Not sure of original but works with stock 4.4.4 and pogodancer rooted stock 4.4.4 ,lujjis 4.4.4
BY THE WAY UNLESS YOU SPEND at least $70-100 a 128 will be a fake use fake flash test to check any sd cards you get on the cheap any for that matter then reformat. I got fake 64 advertised side bar pc mag . Got refund reformatted to 17 & 14 gb they were actually defective one is blazing fast just 14 gb now.

Just for the record. Using the stock firmware that came with it, I was able to get a 128gb hard to read. It shows now that I have 119gb available... I haven't installed anything on the sd card yet, so I can't say 100 percent if it will actually read all 100+gb's, but at least it is recognizing the space, so I have high hopes that it does indeed work with 128gb micro sd cards.

I have another issue though. I read somewhere that this newest version, the root is broken? Is that true? Seeing as the internal memory for apps is limited to about 2.5gb, I really want to use a program like FolderMount to move apps to the SD card without having to worry about firmware/rom updates. Though FolderMount isn't reconizing my S7800b as being rooted.

I found another forum post http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/root-s7800b-stock-android-4-4-4/msg119844/#msg119844

At this post, someone replied saying that they used kingoapp to reroot it... It looks simple enough, advertised as a "one click root software"

I am thinking of trying it, but it says that you have to connect the s7800b to your computer in DEBUG MODE. I'm not sure how to do that. Anybody know?

firestonex (OP)

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 09:02:35 pm »
I figured out how to get into debug mode.. Who knew you had to tap "about tablet" 7 times.... Well, trying to reroot it now. I'll let you guys know if it works.

update!!!!

It worked...  FolderMount is now working.. It least it seems to.. Now I have to figure out how to use FolderMount.. I'm going to do a test, by trying to move angry birds over to the sd card... Wish me luck!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 09:05:42 pm by firestonex »

firestonex (OP)

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 09:30:53 pm »
ARGG.. If it isn't one thing it's another.. OK... so foldermount is working. Great.. But I go into "apps analyzer, and the angry bird app shows up.. Great... But the problem is it says 0 B.. It shows that it takes up no space. It says folder is empty, already bound, or does not exit......

I go into my setting, and I can see that Angry Birds is 90mb's.. I have no idea why the space isnt showing up on FolderMount.

firestonex (OP)

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 09:33:48 pm »
I just went into the settings, to move angry birds to SD, like I did before. (It doesn't take all the app, but puts some of it on sd.. WELLLLL.. Now it says there is not enough space to move to sd.. Not sure if that is because I have the 128 gb card in, and it can't work with it, or if because I rerooted it and it messed something up..

Now I'm getting frustrated.

Kommander

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 09:42:19 pm »
Firestonex - as I said in my PM - ADD ME TO SKYPE - I'll be able to answer all of your questions in short order.

Secondly - foldermount = useless.

Install Skype on your Laptop/Desktop and add me. it'll take far too long to go through everything via forum posts.
JXD S7800B 16gb - Android 4.4.4 (Lujji's KitKat ROM)
HTC Sensation XE - Android 2.3.4 (Soon to be Viper S 5.1.0 / Android 4.1.2 / Sense 5)
Storage Options Scroll 7" - Android 2.1
MID Pad - Uberoid 12.1 / Android 2.2
Tesco Hudl 2 - Android 4.4.2

firestonex (OP)

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 02:02:30 pm »
For any other noobs in the future reading this, I was able to get the 128gb card to work, but I had to reformat it to fat32 first.

Post a new topic