Author Topic: Are s7800b's purchased from Wilgoo also having the CPU problem?  (Read 4654 times)

shelikescloth (OP)

Are s7800b's purchased from Wilgoo also having the CPU problem?
« on: December 18, 2013, 09:15:16 pm »
My s7800b from DinoDirect is on it's way, and it looks like there's a 95% it won't be running at the advertised speed. So, I plan on sending it back for a full refund and purchasing one for full price ($200) from Wilgoo. Do the consoles from Wilgoo have this problem as well?

darklight1138

Re: Are s7800b's purchased from Wilgoo also having the CPU problem?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 09:25:26 pm »
You  beat me to it. I have just enough for a 7800 from DD, incl. DHL shipping. I won't like having to save up again to pay full price from WillGoo but I guess I'll have to if that means getting a better model. I like WillGoo as a company much better than DD or any of those other guys. But that's over $40 I'll have to save up for  :(
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
JXD S7800b (WebClaw 116.5 ROM)
Sony PSP-3000

Timber

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 09:53:14 pm »
Well it's either a a dud batch they sold to DinoDirect for cheap on the DL, or it's a batch they sent out to all vendors, meaning it's gonna be a problem from every seller with s7800b's made recently.

Peibal

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 10:09:37 pm »
Mine isn't from dinodirect and cost me around 185$, and yes have the capped speed issue but the seller is also going to talk with jxd about my issue it seems I'm the only one with it from this batch.

neocartman

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 10:49:39 pm »
I've just received a s7800b from geekbuying and i've the same issue.
The CPU is limited to 1.4GHz under stock kernel.

Mr.Tea

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 11:04:35 pm »
i'm trying to ease the blow with this problem on mine at the moment (DHL from DD) with setcpu but it's a little confusing.
is it best to set cpu min and max to 1400 or just max to 1400 and leave min at stock settings?

darklight1138

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 11:20:09 pm »
i'm trying to ease the blow with this problem on mine at the moment (DHL from DD) with setcpu but it's a little confusing.
is it best to set cpu min and max to 1400 or just max to 1400 and leave min at stock settings?

Did you ever post about how the packaging was from Dino? How good of shape was the 7800 in when you got it? How long did it take for you to get it. If you've already answered somewhere feel free to reply with a link.
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
JXD S7800b (WebClaw 116.5 ROM)
Sony PSP-3000

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 11:56:24 pm »
The CPU speed thread I started is still very new, but so far it seems like all of the Oct units are running at 1.6

If you order from willgoo I would ask them if they have any units mfg in oct left before buying.. or otherwise ask if they can run a check on the cpu speed (CPUZ for example)

We're still gathering data in that thread to try and track down what units are effected but so far all the December and at least one of the November units run at 1.4

so it's not clear if it's a lottery, or if this is just a recent lowergrade batch, or if this is a mfg change.

shelikescloth (OP)

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 12:21:16 am »
When do you suppose they will get a new batch with adequate CPU's? Because I don't want to wait longer than I have to, let alone at all.

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 12:32:26 am »
I don't know, It's not clear exactly whats going on yet.

It could be that this is a permanent change and we'll never see 1.6 again.
it could be that they got a deal on low bin SoC's and this is just a low grade batch

It might be possible to tweak the firmware to get 1.6.. perhaps more voltage is needed to get a stable 1.6, I really don't know that would be something to ask Skelton they seem to know about why they're kicking down to 1.4.

Im still trying to get peopel to post details on their units so we can track down what units are affected.
This is still a early effort but all I can say is currently out of the small number posted It seems all of the early batches from Oct run at 1.6, the CPU speed problem seems to have started sometime in Nov.. None of the Dec units people have posted have been up to 1.6 but again the picture is still very early.

If you can get a Oct unit from Willgoo I think that is your best bet.

Stealth Ninja

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 01:08:20 am »
You  beat me to it. I have just enough for a 7800 from DD, incl. DHL shipping. I won't like having to save up again to pay full price from WillGoo but I guess I'll have to if that means getting a better model. I like WillGoo as a company much better than DD or any of those other guys. But that's over $40 I'll have to save up for  :(

Sometimes it's better to pay a little more. I received a damaged unit from DiniDirect on Monday and immediately initiated the request for a replacement. 3 days later and I continue to message with the assigned rep with no resolution. Today I gave up on the exchange and requested a full refund. Once and if I get it I will place the order with Wilgoo.

­

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 01:13:20 am »
Why not just contact willgoo? IIRC, they test every device they get - we just need to ask them if they stress test it also.
Anyway, if willgoo does indeed have the fully functional S7800B, they would have a huge edge over the competitors, leading to more sales. It's a win-win situation for them. Worst case scenario, every S7800B made after the initial batch is faulty and they can reduce prices to be competitive.

Fanatic

• Retro Gaming Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 01:20:58 am »
My unit has a serial # of S7800-B-01-201311-8GB-00027. I am able to run 1.8 max, 1.2 min according to Cpu-z. I bought it from Dingoo. I am using Tan's first supercharged firmware. I have also purchased a S7800B for my daughter as a Christmas present. I will test that one as well.

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 01:24:13 am »
looks you have a very early Nov. unit.
Someone else had a Nov unit 02664

I wonder if the change happen mid-late November then, still not enough dates/sn yet to get a full picture though.

It looks like they recycle the SN range every month

Stealth Ninja

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 01:33:40 am »
looks you have a very early Nov. unit.
Someone else had a Nov unit 02664

I wonder if the change happen mid-late November then, still not enough dates/sn yet to get a full picture though.

It looks like they recycle the SN range every month

The broken unit that I received from Dino on Monday was 1.6 and ser# s7800B -01-201311-8GB 02646. Too bad it was received broken and won't charge.

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 01:39:27 am »
hmm that's very interesting.. so either the change happen just after, very late in Nov I'd assume.
or maybe they was using a mixed batch.. some good and some bad SoC's

or maybe this is just a lottery... some units run at 1.6 others run at 1.4

the plot thickens. thanks for posting.

I've got a early oct unit with a flaky touch screen and some slight problems on my joysticks.
but at this point im afraid to send it back for replacement and end up getting a 1.4 :(
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 01:41:06 am by Joe Sixpack »

Timber

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 01:42:04 am »
The plot indeed thickens, I'm hoping for a 2Ghz to mix things up even more :)

Fanatic

• Retro Gaming Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 01:50:43 am »
I meant I bought it from Willgoo, not Dingoo ;D

shelikescloth (OP)

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 02:49:10 am »
hmm that's very interesting.. so either the change happen just after, very late in Nov I'd assume.
or maybe they was using a mixed batch.. some good and some bad SoC's

or maybe this is just a lottery... some units run at 1.6 others run at 1.4

the plot thickens. thanks for posting.

I've got a early oct unit with a flaky touch screen and some slight problems on my joysticks.
but at this point im afraid to send it back for replacement and end up getting a 1.4 :(

I ordered mine the VERY begginning of Dec. I'm talking like the 2nd, but they were almost out of stock. You think that means I may get a unit that they received in Nov.?

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 03:19:44 am »
I would think so yes if they had any stock left It would probably be Nov units I would think, but that's just a guess.
No guarentee on the Nov units though, Only ones I've not seen at 1.4 is the Oct units.

Im just guessing that this became a problem in late Nov.

Post a new topic